Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

Scared to Exercise

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been having this problem too. Getting distracted seems to really help me, so I have been reading magazines on the treadmill. I get so lost in the articles before I realize it I have been walking for 30 minutes!
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angel, Thanks for the tips! I plan to use them as soon as I get to feeling better. Thanks, Isabella
17 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow angel, i know those tips were directed at Isabella but i intend to use them too lol Thanks for sharing with us :) -Diva
17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Isabella, I was like this too. And i still am to some extent. It is actually a fact that you only have to do 20 minutes of a cardio workout in order to get the benefits of it! They usually say min 20 min for 3 times a week. So dont think that you have to do cardio for like an hour!!! Start off nice and slow. Reassure urself that everything you feel is a result of the exercise and is NORMAL. I know that it reminds us of panic attacks/anxiety. But we have to remind ourselves that these sensations are normal when exercising. What helps me is that i keep positive talking during the exercise. I keeping saying to myself "Ok, my heart is beating fast, i feel a bit short of breath, but its ok, this is normal from working out...this is good because i know that exercise BURNS anxiety and stress...I am doing something good for my body" I also envision the anxiety just burning away and releasing from my body. It helps cause i'm sweating too, so it feels real!! Do some visualations before your workout. Picture yourself completing the workout and feeling great! Let me know how you do! ;)
I cant wait for the weather to warm up lol cause i want to put the plan in action but it is really cold atm and it makes it a lot harder hahahaha Hope the weater warms up soon!
17 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Count me in too. I think I will give what wholesale5 is suggesting a go, its sounds like a great plan to me. Thanks. Andy. :p
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will take wholesale's advice and I'll try to do that soon (as soon as this blizzard and snow are gone LOL). That sounds like a good idea and if it worked for you then it's worth a shot. Thank you very much. Michelle, I am going to look for that book this weekend and see if I can find it at the book store. I have done alot of reading about anxiety and panic disorder but I am always looking for something else to help gain new insight to this dibilitating disease. I will keep you guys posted on how things go. Thank you Josie and Diva for your replies as well. I really appreciate it. ~Isabella~
Thanks for posting the name of that book, I know it wasnt meant for me but i think i will look for it lol. I am surprised at how many of us are scared of exercising. At first i thought i was a lone in this! Anyway, i will try to do like wholesale5 and do it one little step at a time. Thanks everyone for sharing it makes me feel like i am not alone :) -Diva
17 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Isabella, i have the exact same problem, I cant even do yoga with out feeling shakey, dizzy and out of it. My legs feel so jelly like that im afraid if I walk I will fall over. I still havnt conquered that fear either, but good for you for trying and dont give up. Take one little baby step at a time, I think that wholesale had some good advise. Now mabey i'll try to apply it to myself to! I also think that mabey we are out of shape and that's whats happening and on top of that we do assosiate those feelings of panic exersise. I found this book at my local library called "panic attacks" by Christine something, i dont remember. The book is out in my car, but I think it is a great book, and it explains VERY thourghly what a panic sufferer is thinking why you think it, and the crazy things it can do to your body. It's is helping me out alot. So try to find that book, i think that it will help you too. It answers questions for me that I never thought to ask. Good luck, let me know how you are doing! love michelle
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
isabella, Start challenging those thoughts and yes take it step by step. Check your local listing for physiotherapists or your local hospital for listings. Use the program's exposure methods to help you challenge and progress. It can be of great assistance to you :) Step by step, you can do this. Thanks for sharing your success with us, you are doing great! Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.

Reading this thread: