Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

Positive thinking

15 years ago 0 11219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations smiffy!

I am glad you find the programme helpful.  Keep with it. You are doing great!

Ashley, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Spirit

I just want to say thankyou so much for your very kind words, they meant so much, more than you will know!  I hope when you are reading this post you are doing so having acheived another day sober?  Others here have given such good advice and I would just add that you should be so proud of yourself!  You clearly recognise the problem and by admitting that to yourself is the biggest step forward you can make so already you are acheiving a lot. You have such a wonderful reason to give up..your little one! Take a day at a time or even a minute if that is how you get through but please don't beat yourself up for being human.  We all are decent people who happen to have a problem with alcohol...that doesn't make us bad people.

I am still 'on the wagon',  I think I am too terrified to drink in case I have a bad reaction to the anaesthetic!!!  Whatever the reason for my sobriety I am grateful it is not proving too difficult to abstain.  Normally when I try to stop I am climbing walls!!!  You may ask if I am truly an alcoholic, the answer is definately yes, so I hope I can continue sober after next Friday is done.

My good wishes and encouragement go to you and everyone else.  Good luck
15 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i am very happy for your success
continue to do what is best for you
your body and your mind always tell you - i find if you are true to yourself you know it - we all know when we are lying to ourselves - so i am happy that you have found peace and comfort in your sobriety

i am here for you - when you need help too - we all are
i am glad i joined this group and am looking forward to being dry with you

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your upcoming surgery
Hi Ashley

Thankyou for your post.  Yes I have been through the programme and find certain things such a help.  My favourite thing to do is to keep a diary as you can see the daily progress. At the moment I love seeing the flatline which means all zeros!  As for rewards,well, I am doing so many more things because I have so much more energy.  Keeping occupied  helps get through  any wories I have as well as being constructive.

I just cannot get over the fact I am finding staying sober so much easier and I do not understand why!!  Thanks again for your support
15 years ago 0 11219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is amazing smiffy! You should be so proud of yourself you are doing great!

Have you started reading through the program? You will gain a lot of great information that will help you. Also, reward yourself!  What will be your reward for getting through this week?

Members, what have been some of the ways you are or were rewarding yourself?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Everyone

I am not sure if this post is suitable for this thread but thought I would try to get people contributing!

I found out recently that I have to have surgery(Not related to alcohol) and although I am  very apprehensive about it my main concern, strangely, was not the procedure, but  what if I should have a bad reaction to the anaesthetic because of my  large and constant intake of alcohol.  Although  I have been drinking regularly again.. I have not  quite reached to same levels as when I first joined AHC but still much too much

After leaving the Consultants office I decided that no more alcohol was passing my lips! At least until afterwards. I am now in week two and am so pleased to say I have found it so very easy!!  No side effects and certainly no cravings.  I wonder why as I have found it so very difficult to give  up before and am finding it very odd now!  Maybe I am so terrified of what might happen if I continue to drink and wonder if the fear of that is making it easier.  Whatever the reason, I am sober and intend to stay that way..at least for now!  Who knows what will happen afterward the op but I have realised that I can do without alcohol and do ask  myself if am I addicted to the actual drink or to the habit of drinking?!!! I guess both, as prior to joining I was consuming probably 2 pints of scotch whisky per week plus on occasions wine at lunchtime.

My dream would be to get this pocedure over with and receive good news and then not too drink too much again.  But I have learnt that I have to take a minute at a time.  I live in hope!

My best wishes to everyone, hoping to read some posts  from you all soon

Reading this thread: