Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

More about Alcoholism

11 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello..i hav been attending AA meetings since may 20th....as well as following this forum...both AA and this forum keep me focused......there are alot of common ideas like acceptance and open-mindedness....i hav learned alot about myself in AA..especially character flaws and how i want to live my life along moral lines....like this forum the understanding is phenomenal in AA.......AA  was not on my radar, but through some serenidipity, like reference to AA..in a substance program, being directed to this site and foxman answering some of my queries which made sense to me, i attended a meeting after reading some AA stuff online......    i have a friend that when i am with her i hav no interest in drinking at all even though there is bze in her place...at xmas i hadnt consumed for 2 months yet when i had some cake that was laced with rum i immediately wanted a drink ...so with no thought at all i had a few drinks...  i enjoy social stuff alot more when i am sober and i am so grateful that i hav an understanding and solution to my use of alcohol
11 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Vincenza for the thought provoking questions. Here is another piece from the book:

Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self- deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right-about- face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums we could increase the list ad infinitum.

===========================================================================================

The second paragraph really exposed me. That was who I was looking at the history of my drinking. I was convinced that I am an alcoholic and I had to look for a spiritual solution.

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi foxman,

Thank you for sharing.  I'm very curious to know how other members will respond to this excerpt.

How does it speak to you?  Do you relate with the sense of losing control?  How have you regained a sense of control during the 'good' periods?
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals usually brief were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better.

We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. Neither does there appear to be any kind of treatment which will make alcoholics of our kind like other men. We have tried every imaginable remedy. In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse. Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing a making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic. Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn't done so yet.

More About Alcoholism, Alcoholics Anonymous.

Reading this thread: