Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

PTSD and Drinking

10 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All....I agree with the PTSD/alcohol abuse correlation.  Many of us who abuse alcohol have suffered some sort of trauma in the past.  For me, it was a mother who partied a lot and brought a lot of unsavoury people into our lives.  Being fearful so often as a child was the norm for me, and I have no doubt that I suffer from PTSD.  As a teen I started using drugs to deal with the stresses of my home life, but thankfully I stopped by the time I was 18 years old.  Until my early 40s I was a "normal" drinker.  I was faced with a shocking revelation and everything started to spiral downward for me.  Yet another trauma to deal with, only this time I chose to use alcohol as my crutch rather than face the issue head on.  I suddenly felt like so many years of my life was based on secrets and lies, and the person I thought I knew, was someone I really didn't know at all.  Alcohol became my best friend, it didn't lie to me, or cause me pain, or so I thought.  Now I know that alcohol compounds the problem, and it doesn't resolve anything.  Sure it feels good for the moment, but the next day it's back to reality and nothing is resolved.  

Thanks for posting about PTSD and substance abuse Dave.  It certainly makes a lot of sense to me and it most definitely applies to me.  Dissociating from the reality of past traumas in our lives is a common response for so many people, including myself.  Using alcohol as the dissociative tool is how many of us respond to the pain/stress we feel.  Being able to recognize this and find a more productive way to manage the effects of past is vital to being successful in our goal to abstain.  Being too focused on the past prevents us from enjoying the future.  
10 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting analogy Dave. So really it comes down to a maladaptive response to a stimuli. The stimuli could be virtually anything. Many people are never taught conflict resolution skills so rather than thinking a situation through as to the best way to handle it whether it be peer pressure, low self esteem, pain, loss, conflict, divorce, poverty etc., they choose to take the path of least resistance. Something they can easily have initial control of and that gives them immediate gratification like the decision to take a drug, starve or cut themselves, hurt someone or something, throw things, etc. or in many of our cases, drink. People would still get the gratification of dealing with the stimuli if they chose instead to meditate, reason, exercise or simply walk away but the payoff might be delayed. So that's how we fall into this abyss. It may simply come down to the need for instant gratification.
10 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a great observation Dave.

I am currently in school now and I am taking more courses on addictions. My teacher was just saying that pretty much every person he counsels with addictions also has past or current Trauma. Alcohol is a common why to sooth, but as we all know it normally brings with it a whole host of other problems to deal with. It is so important for people to understand that people do not choose to be addicted, often they are just desperate for a break from the pain. 

Thanks for posting.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

As I've gone through the process of quitting and read  and participated in conversations with those here and in other recovery groups such as AA (I don't attend AA but I've come to know people who are in the program) the one thing that struck me is how much advanced cases of chronic alcohol abuse resemble that of someone suffering from PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder). Being subjected to traumatic events and then managing them alcohol consumption to forget about them seems to be a common thread. The "catch 22" in all of this is, in the case of the chronic drinker, the PTSD was actually created by the activity of drinking itself. Chronic alcohol abuse is a progressive  problem (I don't say "decease" because I don't think of it as a decease unto itself, but decease can be a very real by-product of the consumption). If we consider it for a moment, the effects of drinking evolve to the point where we do things we really aren't too proud of (or even horrified with). There seems to come a point where the progressive trauma to ones self-esteem, self-image, and self -worth (which are often low with heavy drinkers) becomes so great they cross over a threshold and can't bear the thought of what they have done under the influence. They wake up the next day and they've done horrible things that they wouldn't have done otherwise if they were straight. The "trauma" of the realization adds to the problem. Imagine, as an example, you have been doing this for years, and you bottom out to the realization you've abandoned your family or ruined your business because of alcohol. The irony is the trauma engine (PTSD) is fueled by the very thing that created the trauma in the first first place; the alcohol. May it should be called CDSD "Chronic Drinking Stress Disorder"? Next thing you know, all you want to do is drink and nothing else matters......

I realize this is just an observation and most aren't near this point however I just thought I would put it out there for consideration (and perhaps a warning sign of potential things to come). Maybe it's really  a case of  repetitive "Personal Trauma Self-induced by Drinking" which led to "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder."

Best regards,

Dave

Reading this thread: