Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Outward Apperances

13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Foxman for sharing your personal experience.  It's really good to hear how you work the program  in your own life.
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

That is wonderful, healthyj. Early on in this journey, i used to wonder how i would celebrate important occasions like birthdays, holidays, new-years, wedding...And that is alcoholic thinking. The book says, we alcoholics come to believe that the whole world revolves around booze and nothing else. But today after few years I could see myself how a changed person i am. And today I was at a Thanks giving dinner where alcohol was freely available and I was able to participate in the event with ease. For that i am so grateful. 
13 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Good post Foxman.  I totally respect those who can manage moderation.  For me, not drinking at all was the only way I could go.  It's been a month now and I know that if I had one drink right now, I would not be able to stop.  Guessan  important thing is to know ourselves and what we need to be healthy and whole.

13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
""I have done a lot or research on the "high functioning alcoholic" and guess that most of us on AHC fit that prototype.""

That is a wonderful realization. Unfortunately, people still think they can moderate. For an alcoholic the only solution is total abstinence.  
13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I, too, believe this...it has, however, also occurred to me that what I perceive may not be what others perceive.
Maybe we aren't as good at covering as we would like to think we are....

13 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great discussion topic.

A question I would like to add is.  How does it affect you to have to keep up a facade?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I can totally identify - I used to have a picture in my mind of what a person with a drinking problem would look like...that imagine is gone now as I realize that so many people can cover their drinking problem so well.  Myself included. 

13 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a great subject. I never thought about it but it is so true. No one would guess I had a drinking problem. Wonder why we are able to put up that facade? Going to think more on the Awakening. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 
13 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just wondering how most of you think you are portrayed by your circle of family/friends/acquaintances/colleagues...I know that if 99% of the people in my life knew that I struggle with alcohol, they would be shocked and astounded.  I have done a lot or research on the "high functioning alcoholic" and guess that most of us on AHC fit that prototype.  I know I fit into it, how about all of you?

Reading this thread: