Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Something to be thankful for!

13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Athena.  Great post.  
13 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That was a great post Athena. You should be very proud of yourself. You are an inspiration to all of us. Thanks for sharing.
13 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there Athena,
How great is your post ?????? It's AWESOME !!  You are so grounded and so thinking like everyone one of us wants to think, you are an inspiration to us all.  Keep up the great work and struggle you are going through, and know that you are helping all of us attain our individual goal; at the risk of sounding corny, I'll say it - at 47, you ROCK Athena :)
And, as I said before today - I too am thankful for the posts and comments and advise that find a way to me through this site - I am glad I'm here, with you all.  Thank You So Much for helping me........
Trust and believe in yourself - it's all that matters ......
runner
13 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
congratulations Athena on the two week mark - that is awesome.  Great to read your story!
13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Athena,

I am so glad that this site came through for you.  At the same time I think you deserve a lot of the credit too.

Looking back, is there any part of your recent journey with this site and forum that sticks out?

Please keep sharing with us as many members with benefit.

Have a great day, Athena!

Jason, Bilingual Health Educator
13 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday marked two weeks since I stopped drinking. I have had three little slips where I snuck a drink from the bottle but I am so astonished and thankful that I am here.

I am 47 years old.  I have had problems with alcohol most of my adult life and for the past few years I have been drinking one to one and half bottles of wine a night.  The only times I have abstained from alcohol in the past 15 years was when I was pregnant with my two children and once when I stopped for four days.  I have "fallen asleep" (passed out) in the middle of reading bedtime stories to my five year old so many times that he is surprised now that I finish the stories.  My short term memory is so bad, I often forget what I am saying before I even finish my sentence. I have stolen money from my children's piggy banks to buy wine and I have frantically dug through all the cupboards in my house, my brothers house and my mother's apartment looking desperately for anything to drink when I have been out. 

Now all of a sudden I find myself here.  I am sober and clear headed.  I have a plan.  I have hope and for the first time in a long time I can look around me and see that despite everything I have done, I have been a good mother and my children are both doing well.  I am good at my job and I make an important contribution to the lives of many people. I am intelligent and compassionate and creative and there are lots of things that I want to do with my life.

How is it possible that I am here when less than a month ago I was so stuck in self destructive patterns and negative thinking?
Obviously there isn't a simple answer and I know that this is just the beginning of a long journey, but I can tell you that without a doubt, the support and encouragement I have found here has been incredibly important to me. So, to everyone at AHC, thank you for:
- being there night and day, anytime
- offering continuous hope and encouragement
- sharing your stories and feelings
- reminding me to re-read things I have written on good days
- helping me remember that bad days don't last forever
- offering tips and strategies
- having the courage to share your journeys with me
- reaching out to me and others, even when you are having a bad day.

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the U.S. To the rest of you - Happy Friday!

Reading this thread: