Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,510 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Newly Sober...

6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PinkPanda,
   I would suggest that you find a person who has a thorough understanding of working of the 12 steps so they can walk you through the steps and get connected with your higher power. In the meantime you can find some workshops on the big book. Here is one:workshop

6 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everybody it's been a while since i've been on here, but i'm glad to say i'm over 6 months sober. A lot has changed since i posted last. I now have two jobs which means i work almost everyday. It's keeping me very busy which i like a lot. I still get urges to drink and do drugs. But i always play that story out till the very end and every time i have it never ends well so that helps me stay away from urges. I'm still active in AA but having trouble finding this "higher power" people are talking about all the time, but everybody tells me to wait and it will come. 
Thats awesome. Keep it up.
I grabbed the book a couple weeks ago, I'm starting to read it and funny how it seems it was written for me. A lot sounds familiar, kinda creepy. but i made my 3 months!!!
I will grab the book i keep forgetting to ask about it. Thank-you, foxman.
Pink Panda,
   For some, they forget the consequences just prior to taking that first drink. They don't think of taking 2 or 3.....All they are looking for is the effect. The mind, tricks them into taking that first drink. Since you have already been in AA, grab the book Alcoholics Anonymous and read the chapters More About Alcoholism. 

Especially Jim the car salesman story. Where the thought comes to him "suddenly".
Thank-you Julie,
The one thing that's truly helping me stay sober is something someone said at an AA meeting not to long ago, it is, 

I don't believe in God or anything for that matter, but the one thing i believe in is curiosity i know what will happen to me when i drink, i don't know what will happen when i don't."

That saying (it was a little different, don't remember the exact wording) stuck out to me like a sore thumb, i went and thanked him at the next meeting for saying those words, he didn't remember saying it, but it really helped me and i will never forget it. 

I know what will happen when i have even just one drink it will easily turn into 9, 10 even 11, then ill get drugs and sit on a VLT machine, feeling crappy about the choices im making. So if I dont even have that one, I won't feel ****ty about myself, ill wake up happy that i made it another day!! Quitting every addiction i had cold turkey was the hardest thing, but each day it gets a smudge easier. 
6 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome PinkPanda to this forum and congratulations on the positive changes you have made to your life these past months. So glad that you are feeling great. You are lucky to have a supportive family to help you through and a quieter place to be to regain your life. Life really is better sober and it just keeps improving as time goes by.  I quit drinking over two years ago and it is the best thing that I have done for myself in a very long time.  Keep your focus on the goal and good luck to you on your journey. Keep us posted to let us know how you are doing.
Not to sure where to post this.....

So I quit drinking/drugs/gambling/smoking cigarettes 2 months ago well attempted quitting cigarettes i've had a few since my June 19, 2017 sober date. But i haven't touched an alcoholic drink, done drugs, or touched a VLT machine. I've feel even though it's only been two months sober, I feel amazing. I started drinking when i was about 15-16 years old and ever since i was 18-19 i've never ever gone two weeks without drinking, let alone two months, where i am now I've never thought it was possible. I tried to quit drinking when i was 21 because i knew then i had a huge problem, i thought it was normal for someone to blackout every weekend. Then drugs get introduced into my life at around the time i was trying to quit drinking, then i found out when you do coke you can drink even more not get blacked out and continue on your marry way. 

Well that was 6 years ago, My life was a living hell only two months ago. Crazy how you look back and see how far you've come in a short amount of time.

I lived in a city where there was temptation at every corner. I had the opportunity to move out to a tiny town with family to help to get sober and "restart" because it seemed impossible to do it in the city. 

I cannot thank my family enough for giving me the second chance at life! 

Reading this thread: