Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

6 Months!

8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the support Sian and Gus!  Gus, a huge congratulations on your upcoming eight months.  You have been the beacon of light and success ahead for me.  I totally agree that there is support to be found here and I did not feel so alone in my struggle once I regularly visited this site.  
8 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats Julie! Your success is really an inpuration for me and all the rest of us who have struggled over the years.  Like you said, if you can do it, so can I!

I have found this site helpful in so many ways. Probably the biggest benefit is that people posting here are either in your situation, or have been in the past. When i had no support group, I felt alone in a losing battle. Once I got on here, and found people like Julie, it was like the burden was a bit lighter. 

I will soon be quit 8 months myself. Best thing ever happened to me in a long long time. Congrats again Julie! Your success gives me renewed confidence in myself.

Gus
8 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Julie for letting us share your journey and your experience so far, from first seeking help to finding all that hope and clarity! Inspirational indeed :)
Thanks for the support and thanks for the question Ashley, a good opportunity for reflection.  In the very beginning I knew that I had no realistic choice but to make a change. I also knew that moderation had not worked for me and that I had to quit drinking.  When I started to search online, I found this website and many blogs (Tired of thinking about drinking, unpickled, mrs. d. is doing without etc etc) written by people who sounded like me.  I read Christopher Kennedy Lawford's book "Recover to Live" along many others and I found hope in the success of others.  I came to believe that if they could stop, perhaps I could too and perhaps my life would be better without alcohol.  I came to see that there are many roads that lead to recovery and everyone is different.  I could plot my own recovery and take a bit from the success of others and build my own success. My inner momentum and confidence grew with each success at refraining from alcohol, all the firsts I managed.  Now I see so many hopeful possibilities, things I could never have seen when I was immersed in alcohol.
8 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome Julie!  Congratulations.  Back here at Day 18 I look forward to the day when I can post a similar update!  I know how very much better I fee now coming up on 3 weeks, so can only imagine how nice it will be at 6 months.  Keep up the greatness Julie :-)
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful Julie!

Thank you for sharing and inspiring. I am curious. In the beginning what gave you hope to get started?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on you success Julie.

That is inspiration for so many of us.

Keep up the good work and continue to inspire other as you are...!

All the best
Charlie....
In some ways it is hard to believe that I have successfully gone six months without alcohol.  If someone had told me a year ago that I could do this, I would not have believed it.  Quitting drinking and sticking with that decision, even though it was very hard at times, is the best thing I have done for myself in a very long time.  
I am seeing a whole new life open up before my eyes, a very hopeful life.  I am working hard in many ways to make this happen, and I have the will and optimism to do that now.  
If you are feeling hopeless now about making a change in your drinking, there is a hope and another kind of life on the other side.  If I can do it, so can you!

Reading this thread: