Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

So it begins

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jadeplay,

How did the weekend go? Was it a challenge? Did you manage to not drink? 

Ray

14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey so guess what!  I decided to not go to the business event, then my husband tried dragging me to a friend bday party where they all drink TONS!  I declined (a few times I had to say no), then a friend who I had to visit to pick something up, suggested I stop in and have a glass of wine.  I said I'm not drinking right now....so ...long and short of my evening is I went home, had a bite to eat, walked to my friends..didn't have wine, walked home, watched Criminal Minds and CSI, and went to bed feeling great.

Now comes the weekend...big challenge!
My question for the day:  When does one notice a difference, i.e., feel better for quitting, feel anything change?
14 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Jadeplay,

I also have an invite out this evening. It’s not business related so I opted out. I do end up in situations where I’m asked to attend client functions so I know it’s hard. I’m just beginning this change and my personal plan is to learn the tools to be able to successfully elude my triggers. Hopefully once I can do this I’ll be able to reintroduce myself into situations where the temptation is and I’ll be able to cope with the situation and not have that glass of wine. That’s my strategy in a nut shell. Thought I’d share.

Maybe make this week’s goal to get through tonight without a glass of wine? Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the message back.  I am confused about what to do tonight.  Have a corporate event that is very much a wine mixer and networking.  Important for me to attend for future business, but definately likely that I would have a glass of wine.  What are your thoughts?

Jade
Hi Jadeplay,

I'm glad that you noticed my posts, first of all congrats on being without for 3 days! Good for you! We all have our weak points. Weekends were the hardest for me too. The important thing is to find something else to keep your focus on. So maybe find something exciting for you to do this weekend. Like maybe work on a puzzle, buy a new board game and invite some friends over, try a new recipe, make a craft.....etc You can do this! I am here for you!

Ray
Hi there, I have been reading your posts and thought I'd respond.  You are further ahead than I am.  I have been without for only 3 days now.  I have 2 little kids and feel such guilt when I drink around them, even though I excuse it as being not so bad because it's expensive wine in a nice glass.  However I get impatient with them, especially around bed time because I just want them to go to bed so I can finally relax.  These last 3 days have been calm, bedtimes have been a little easier, and I am feeling great.  Took a couple of days off work to re-focus and now I'm going to go outside and take care of the yard.  The biggest fear I have right now is the upcoming weekend.  How to get through that with no alcohol or perhaps 1 drink friday.????
Proud of you allegron! Keep going! It is great to hear that your wife is thinking that you are looking good and that you are energetic! I bet you are!

Ray

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi allegron,

I am glad to hear that you are having a busy week and that you are going to keep working out and seeking conversations. The best way to overcome this obstacle is to practice! One conversation at a time, it will get easier!

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Fortunately it is a busy week, but I will continue to work out and I will continue to seek out conversations with friends and family.  I have to admit having difficulty in having conversations without alcohol so this is another obstacle I am trying to overcome. 

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go, one week! You are doing this! We are all rooting for you allegron, stay strong!

How will you be changing your routine this week?

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: