Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Thinking about taking the leap

10 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Squashed! Weight gain? Well, I've put on closer to 3 Kg's but it doesn't worry me. Last couple of days I've been making nutrient dense green smoothies a couple of times a day. Seems to have totally alleviated my craving for sweets possibly because I'm meeting my bodies nutritional requirements. Now if I could only develop your lust for physical activity that'd be amazing. Any suggestions?
10 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Camiol, it sounds like you are making it through your Friday, congratulations, keep reaching for that water and an accomplishment, I am doing well on my end too, and thank you and the others for the support and ideas, the new perspective keep coming and work!
10 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Squashed...I can relate to the sugar craving, but Ashley, the Health Educator told me about water infused with slices of fruit.  I made a jug with sliced oranges, Meyer lemon and berries.  It is divine and it helps keep the full feeling along with satisfying the sugar craving.  I love it.  

10 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Toxicsoul

You are remaining strong and determined as ever. I find your posts very inspiring.

Thank goodness you mentioned your desire for sweet things and your comment " This too will pass." Since I have been AF I have managed to put on 2 kilos! It's almost like I have developed an addiction for sugar. Just what I don't need. We bought a box of 6 Jelly Tips for our Grandsons  visits. He had one, I had the other five ( secretly). So now I resolve to use my alcohol abstinence  strategies to curb my newly acquired binge eating urges. 

The upside of tackling both addictions is that I will become such an expert at setting and achieving goals. The focus and energy required so far ( day 11) has been overwhelming at times, but I am adamant that I will beat this! 

Those straight zeros in our January diaries look mighty good don't they?

Hi Camiol and Crazygolfer, you're so right about the habit/planning of a night of drinking. End of the work week and I want my reward. It's day 12 for me and my new reward is waking up feeling well and refreshed on the weekend. Able to tackle anything I set my sights on. I'm alone all the time Camiol and you do learn to entertain yourself without booze. Ultimately, no one is responsible for you (and your actions) but you. My issue right now is dealing with this crazy sugar/sweets craving and I'm not a dessert fan. Even started drinking coffee again which I gave up months ago in favor of healthier alternatives. Understand it has something to do with your body trying to compensate for the sugars it got from the booze. Tell myself this is a test and drinking coffee and eating cake on the short term is better than a bottle of wine. This too shall pass. Good luck to you both on keeping your resolve!
Thanks crazygolfer, I too am planning to keep busy to keep my mind off thoughts of wine.  I have to keep reminding myself it's a habit, it won't kill me to not drink on a Friday.  I can do this, just as you can.  My only concern is that I'll be alone tomorrow night, boredom tends to increase my urge to drink.  I am going to hold strong, and I'll be posting here to keep myself grounded.  You're right, Friday IS just another day....it's not a ticket to drink.  Lets touch base tomorrow night, I think it'll keep us both in check.  
10 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Camiol, I am having the same end of the week thoughts, you gave me a reply before on going day by day, and tomorrow is just another day. The habit is hard to break, but think of the personal satisfaction when you get that sixth day of sobriety under your belt. I intend to wake up tomorrow, get my day of work done, and workout in the evening, and above all avoid buying a bottle. You can do it, just make a plan to keep busy and the hours will fly by. I have not been sober long enough to profess any expertise on what will work, but I am going to give this a shot. Good luck, and you are doing great, keep that positive frame of mind!
So tomorrow is Friday, and I'm not going to lie, I'm thinking about my typical Friday, picking up a bottle of wine and having a few glasses.  I'm not going to do it, it's the habit that has kicked in.  The addictive voice in my head keeps saying "go ahead, it's Friday, you deserve the wine.  You can start sobriety again on Sunday", but my logical voice is saying "you've made the decision to stop, if you have a drink tomorrow, you'll be back at square 1."  I'm 5 days alcohol free and I want to keep adding zeros to my diary.  I'm struggling at the moment, but it's only for the moment and I'll get over it.  Writing how I'm feeling seems to help.  
10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hope it helps TS. I often find myself saying "Well, this is quite uncomfortable" or "This is a little stressful" and then I like to follow it up with "This is good! Enjoy the ride because you're learning something new about yourself".  It's all a matter of perspective. 

Best regards,

Dave
Dave, I like that test approach. Definitely will put that in my arsenal. 

Reading this thread: