Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

New here. Day 4! So tempting to drink!

4 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I’m definitely gonna give that a go! 
I get what you meant earlier about the buzz feeling you feel like your missing out on if your bored, suppose though the bit of buzz you get at first turns into a big hangover then repeating it all over again and regretting it ... all over again. 

4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used to drink a lot of wine when I was hungry because it was cutting my appetite and I would eat, if  I ate, at all  kind of weird hours. It helps me now to make sure I have something ready in the fridge and eat at regular hours or when I start being too hungry.

What I like about non alcoolic beer is that it has only 45 calories but mostly it is because I don't like pop and juice and it feels your stomach so you don't feel like compensating by eating too much.

M
Hi M!

I may get some of that non alcoholic beer and see if that helps!
The sun came out here today and I love drinking in the sun way too much! I’ve talked myself into having a drink about 10 times but I’m just drinking loads of sugary coffeee right now! And going to avoid reaching for the booze.
I’ve not thought about much else today! For some reason I find when I’m hungry I want a drink too which is strange.

Your doing fab! Day 15 right? That’s great willpower! Well done! X
Hi Mel,

I am thinking about booze or more of the buzz today. I think I am a little bored but thank god, I have my non alcoolic beer on hand telling you do not have to go buy wine, just keep your mind busy.

What are your feelings today? you are doing well. 5 days. 

M
Il have a look at that Foxman. Thank you!

Alcoholism is in my family (well most of it) and I’ve always thought of myself as just a binge drinker but when I try to cut out a day I’d usually drink on it makes me completely irritable which is why I’m starting to think I have more of a problem with it than I thought 
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes even on the days I’m not drinking I’m thinking about it. I’d love to be just a normal drinker, once a week and not go mad, but every time I drink I just don’t stop, and I never want to go to bed.

You know there is a book called "Alcoholics Anonymous" written in 1939:

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

You may want to grab hold of a copy and read and see if you can relate.
Yes even on the days I’m not drinking I’m thinking about it. I’d love to be just a normal drinker, once a week and not go mad, but every time I drink I just don’t stop, and I never want to go to bed.
Also my alt liver enzymes is 57 which I don’t know whether that’s bad or not?

Well done on the 14 days M! I’m on day 5 now and talking myself in and out of drinking every 10 minutes ?? x
Forgot to mention Mel,

To change my mind about drinking, I changed the music I used to listen, all kind of other habits I had when I was drinking. I found that if I fell in the same pattern, the cravings were too hard. I do other stuff to keep busy. Cooking, drawing, writing a lot, talking to non drinking buddy on the phone.

M
Hy Lynn and Mel,

Day 14 today. Never thought I could make it. I was a lot like you Lynn. Drinking everyday, thinking about when I would be able to go to the store and get wine. It was getting earlier every day.

What helps me is drinking non alcoolic beer. A lot of it but I feel that at least I am cleaning my body from alcool. Next week, I will try to cut down on that no alcool beer.

So happy today. My estranged daughter accepted to go out for breakfast after all those weeks not wanting to talk to me.

Keep up the good work Mel. Rome was not built in one day

M
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello and welcome Mel130!  Congratulations on 4 days without alcohol.  From what you wrote this is a major accomplishment.  When I drank I was an everyday drinker so I'm not sure if my advice would help. Even if I knew I could cram a weeks worth of alcohol into 2 days it was hard for me to even go 1 day without alcohol.  I do understand the part you said about meetings with friends revolving around alcohol.  Actually, if you think about it, most of your day probably revolves around alcohol.  Even on the days your're not drinking because you are probably thinking about drinking.  I know most of my day was spent thinking about the alcohol I was going to have that night.  If I had something to do that night that could not involve alcohol, I would plan out how I would get in my normal number of drinks.  Which, unfortunately, was a lot.  

You drink 2 days a week now.  What are is your goal?  Do you want to stop altogether or drink less on those 2 nights?

Lynn

Reading this thread: