Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Jumped right off.... Predictable

9 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nodrama, you amaze and inspire me with your honesty and grit. I am at the very beginning of this journey and you (and the people who have responded to your posts) give me hope and direction. I know that there are a thousand ways we can fail ourselves and our families, but people like you make me realize that there is a way forward, bad days, slips and all. Thank you for that. Annes
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All!

I think that red flags for me are when I get off sync with my friends and family.  Also, when I retreat to myself at work...that means things are brewing for me.  I am not sure how to ask directly for help, however, as I am busy being reserved when I get like that.....then the next step is always bad for me.  So, I'm not sure at what point I need to ask my friends or family to jump in and take my mind elsewhere. That's something I have to explore.  BUT---yes....confrontation is a trigger for me.  I also don't like chaos.  I find it super stressful. So, those are things I need to be mindful of.  I just finished a bood called Drunk Mom and I like how it ends.....with the author saying we can't really explain why we as problem drinkers decide to jump back in the bottle when we do it....It could be any number of reasons.  Something that helps is coming here and sharing and getting feedback.  I've found that when I come to this site frequently I stay on the path I need to be on....if I hide from you all then it's bad news.  That's just my experience anyway.....
9 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Nodrama your post reminds us how easy it is for us to slip, but Ashley has put it to us, to recognise our Red Flags, and have strategies to counter act each one of them.
The fact that you and your husband are reconnected and communicating on the same level helps, I find when I am on a self destruct route, I am out of sync with everyone in my life and fall out with them, giving me my licence to take up that drink, eat that chocolate.....
Don't be hard on yourself, we are very poor on self care, even though i am better at it,but i have and still have relapses in looking after myself, but do you know what we are not alone!
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nodrama,

Awesome work examining your thought. This awareness will really help yo to counter this cognitive dissonance. When we are tackling an addiction it is common for us to rationalize our choices.  How do you think you can catch yourself or challenge these thoughts when they next arise?

Ashley, Health Educator
Yes, Jakelad you are right.  Our body craves sugar. That's a fact.  And it craves it more so when we would want to drink.  Also, if you give in to sugar early in the day it's easier to eat it all day.

Thank you for the suggestion....
I've read The Big Book. I own a copy and it's in my nightstand right now. (I've also been to meetings)  And I know that AA works for some folks--It didn't do anything for me, which is why I am here.  This forum and site just works better for me.  But, AA has saved many lives.

By the way,  I am very humble to alcohol and grateful for any help or insite I get from anyone.  I would have no reason to be cocky or bullheaded.  It's not for a lack of desire to behave that I have stumbled. It doesn't erase all the sober day's I have under my belt. Infact I started here in July and I look at that as my sober date.

You are doing great and The Big Book seems to be just what you are looking for! That's awsome!  And I admire how far you've come Jakelad.  We have quite a bit in common.  And I know that you understand how complicated an alcoholics mind is and how we hate to be questioned.  Mine is a mixture of pride and embarassment.   

Take care and thanks for the input. :-) I appreciate your kindness.
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your body craves sugar, yes, I still cant say no to a candy bar. 
Give up the sugar books and read the Big Book. the main part is only 168 pages can't hurt. If you are done, truly defeated you will read to book and ask for help and be humble enough to take the help, 

Kez,

Thanks for your kinds words and insight.  I am feeling better and better each day that I get farther away from the "night".  I am always hopeful that this will be the end for me.  And I am checking out a new book that has a high success rate.  Called the Sugar Addicts Diet.  Have you read anything about it?  The author has a lot of great things to say.  And I agree that sugar plays a part in my problem.  I crave it to the strangest degree right before I binge.   Any thoughts?  
9 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes ND, it absolutely is. :)

Good on you for not drinking at dinner last night - if there was ever an excuse to say "screw it, the world is working against me, I'm having a drink" it was last night with that waiter!

Forgiving yourself is a huge part of remaining successful and you are sooo right - a slip isn't a relapse.  I have been saying the same thing to myself since last Saturday when I slipped.  Aside from that one day, I have gone weeks of doing really, really well overall on a daily basis. One day shouldn't tear all of that good down. What I did was looked at what happened on Saturday and how I could prepare myself to do it differently next time. We'll see...

I know what it feels like to be hard on yourself - if I treated anyone else the same way I've treated myself over the years, I wouldn't have a friend in the world. 

Really great to hear that your husband seems to be taking a different approach.  The open communication you guys seem to have is something I will aspire to :) 

I'll be out of the country this week but I will be thinking of you.... Send some good vibes my way too... :P

Keep up the strength!
Kez

Thank you Kez and TS for your kindness.  I am trying to be kind to myself. It easier for me to be kind to others than myself. But, I am working on it. Life is a work in progress.  I was reading on the smart recovery site yesterday and a point I liked was one that's been made her many times. A slip isn't a relapse. A slip is a slip. A bad decision, yes, but doesn't start the clock over. That's what has been a hang up for me I feel like all the sober days all the work is thrown out when I mess up. Not the case, though. Can't unlearn what we've learned, can't take back the good days...so instead of dwelling on my slip up I'm trying to be positive and dwell on the goodness and focus on being in now and helping others if I can. 

Ashley, 
The thoughts just before....I don't know... Except by noon I knew all of my family would be gone all afternoon they had checked in and made plans for the day even though I expected to do something with my kids they made other plans. No biggie. So, I was on my own. Perhaps it was lonely or like I said I had in my head my anger from my husband questioning me and I agree I do have the self fulfilling prophecy frame of mind at times. Also, I was thinking when will it every be enough? When will they let me live it down? I know it's all self defeating crazy talk. But I sucked myself right into a bunch of self hate and self pity.  Because no one is harder on me than me. 

Now days later---we went out to dinner last night and everyone at the table drank except me. And I have to say it was hard to be different. And the waiter asked me literally 4 times is I was sure I didn't want a "fun" drink! Good grief! Finally I just said can I have some lemon and a straw for my water? That will make it "fun", right? He left me alone after that. Lol.  My husband has talked to me more in the last few days in a non judgemental way than he ever has. I don't know what's different this time with him.  But I have been very straight about it. How I am so mad for beating up my body and I know it's poison. I know better than to do that to myself. I think he maybe finally sees I didn't do it just because it would be so exciting and glamourus and fun. As you all know that's defiantly not the case. 

Yes TS! Hard liquor is my undoing. And I do go to it when I go off on a bender.  It scares me. I think I should stay away from all liquor at least until the cruise and I'm not so sure I should drink on it. Don't want to fall off the boat! 

I told my husband last night after we got home that the thing I was most excited about after dinner was---I was gonna feel good in the morning, no hangover AND I was gonna remember the entire dinner! Then I said that sounds kind of sad....

Hey it's gonna be alright....yes?
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nodrama,

Do you remember the thoughts you were thinking prior to drinking? If you can pin point the thoughts that occurred prior to drinking then you can work on countering these thoughts and planning for them the next time.  If you can control your thoughts you can control your behaviours. This takes practice but I have no doubt you will be able to do this. I know how bad you want this. You and your family deserve it.
Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: