Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

The Addictive Voice

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your very welcome Dave!

Thank you for posting the link. It sounds interesting and helpful.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ashley. I appreciate the positive feedback. I can't take credit for the Addictive Voice concept. It's the core concept of a technique call AVRT, addictive voice recovery technique. If you haven't come across the site you can read more about it at:

https://rational.org/index.php?id=35

It's a tool in my tool box that is helping me to get past the alcohol abuse and it's working very well for me. I'm really glad you mentioned the narrative therapy. I researched it and it really resonates with me and I know it will help me in many ways. My sincere thanks for that. And a huge thanks to you and all of the other professionals that continue to support me on this site. All of you are making a huge difference in my life with your support and encouragement and it's playing big part  in my progress. For that I am extremely grateful.

Best regards,

Dave
10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, great discussions! You all are coming up with some very thought provoking points; forgive me for jumping in so late in the discussion but I just wanted to give some kudos to Dave. You have a lot of insight on this process and it certainly will help you and even others on the site! I love how you called the cravings "the voice" being able to put an addiction or any problem outside of yourself really makes it more managable. Almost along the lines of narrative therapy. Nice! 

When does the voice have less power over you? What is happening on good days when the voice is dormant?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I entered the fellowship of AA, my befogged mind couldn't comprehend the information laid out in the big book. Some power led me to the free workshops on the internet and they immensely helped me. I have the workshop (by Joe and Charlie) link on my blog. They take us through the book with their experience. Feel free to use them. It helped me understand the disease concept and be convinced that I am alcoholic that I need a psychic change in order to overcome this disease.
That's excellent David. I firmly believe we can all find our own path away from alcohol abuse, whether it's AA or through a thorough process of personal review, self-acceptance and resolve. I'm enjoying this process of getting to know myself on a more personal level and find it very liberating. I am open to all resources that help me progress in moving forward with the positive and away from the negative.

Your candor and advice is much appreciated.

Regards

Dave
10 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very proud of you Foxman.  Giving your addiction to a higher power (God) appears to be the only way to rid one's self of this ugly beast.  I have begun reading the Big Book and 12 Steps of AA.  The principles contained in them closely resemble the principles set forth in the Bible and in particular the Lord's prayer (e.g. Thy will be done and forgive our trespasses). I have also read Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth." He, too, understands the principles and expands on them with some pretty heavy thoughts on who we are and why we are here.
The best part is the obsession to drink has been removed. Its like walking away from a prison after a long sentence due to false conviction. Today I go everywhere, alcohol does not have a hold on me, been to funerals, weddings, parties and all kinds of business events. About my life in general, there is a chapter called "Beyond happiness and un-happiness there is peace" in 'Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle, I believe I can say that I could relate and experience what he has in this chapter. 
Hi Foxman,

Almost 7 years! Quite an accomplish and something to be very proud of. Congratulations!

How has your life changed since you quit drinking?

Regards,

Dave
Definitely personality type definitely pushes one to seek solace in external substance. For me alcohol made me 'fit in' the crowd, made me feel courageous, was able to initiate dialog with others at ease. As for as which personality type to associate with, I am not familiar with this concept. However, I can say I was a shy, low self-esteemed person, but when I found alcohol everything changed.

And about how long I have been sober: My sobriety date is 9/27/2006. So in another couple of months I will be completing 7 years of alcohol free life. For a guy who drank almost everyday for 23 years, this is a miracle.

Hi Foxman,

What are your thought's on how a persons personality type influences drinking behavior? I appreciate the whole AA support system and 12 steps but I'm trying to look at it from a slightly different perspective. AA definitely works for some, maybe not so much for others. Are you a type A, B...maybe T personality type? 

Also I'm curious, how long has it been since you quit drinking?

Best regards,

dave

Reading this thread: