Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Deciding when moderation doesn?t work.

10 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Turquoise!  
10 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your kind words to me on my post even when you are going through your own temptations. I will remember this when I am having a rough time this week with Temptation. What a brave thing you did to give the wine to your cousin. That is willpower and working through challenges at its best! Congratulations on two months!

10 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
2 months sober and counting...
Thank you. It's been harder this week all around. Yesterday my husband offered me a soda over ice, and the first sip tasted spiked! I asked him, and he said that he had used the glass earlier for a scotch, and apparently the taste still lingered. He was very apologetic, but still it was a shock. He assured me that there was no scotch left in the glass, but I couldn't even take another sip because of the lingering taste -- he had to go and get me an entirely new soda. Which he did....
10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're doing amazing Turquoise! Im trying to find the right words to say how proud/happy/impressed/excited I am for you but nothing reads quite right. Deciding on complete abstinence and then maintaining that choice is no easy  task but you are doing it. It seems all your hard work and learning about yourself and this addiction has really paid off.

So impressive how you ended up giving the wine away. That takes serious will power. How were you able to stay so strong?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Turquoise, that is fantastic!  Well done!  Very difficult thing to do!  John
10 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Turquoise I'm impressed beyond words.  You showed incredible restraint, so proud of you.  
10 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Turquoise,
You deserve a big pat on the back. Even though you bought the bottle you didnt bring it home and you didnt drink it. That is a huge step. Congratulations!!!!
10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Turquoise,

I am thoroughly impressed with what you did. That is truly outstanding. I love a good bottle of wine myself. It's one thing I do miss for sure. Next time around it won't be so bad. The tough part is behind you. The HUGE step you just took just gave you the upper-hand with your challenge. Great work!

Dave
Well, my hardest day so far was yesterday. I was fine all morning, but after I picked up the kids from school, I stopped at Trader Joe's. My favorite sommelier was there, and he stopped me and gushed about this new cabernet that had just come in. He put the bottle into my hand and said "you are gonna love this wine." And I couldn't give it back to him! I wanted it so bad. I put it in my cart and literally got sick to my stomach as I finished my shopping and bought the bottle of wine. On the way home I stopped at my cousin's house (she wasn't home) and left it on her kitchen table with a note to enjoy it. But I was physically ill for the rest of the day. My 9yo son asked why I was so upset, and I tried to explain to him that I have the same problem with wine that he has with video games, and fortunately he understood that...... I'm going to have to tell 'my' sommelier that I've quit drinking, or else I won't be able to go back to Trader Joe's at all.

Anyway, thank you Maryann for your wisdom. One drink is too many, and a thousand are never enough. Sigh.

Reading this thread: