Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Deciding when moderation doesn?t work.

10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lisadawn,

You're making huge progress so keep up the great work! Those 10 (8?) days will come soon enough and you will definitely feel better. I have no doubt you will succeed because I can see and hear the positive change in your words and intent. I can tell you my life has changed for the better in so many ways since I stopped in July. The thought of drinking, in moderation or excess, really does not appeal to me at all. It seems like such a waste of time to have to go through trying to bounce back from a hangover. I hate when I get sick with the flu or a cold and as soon as I feel it coming on I do everything I can to fend it off and feel better. Why in gods name would I want to inflict feeling sick on myself deliberately? To think of all of the time I wasted previously just makes me shake my head. I enjoy the self-control now and a lot of things are coming back into my life that I enjoyed previously but didn't pursue because I was too tired and unmotivated, creative and artistic pursuits and interests. I've noticed a big change in my wife as well. She drinks much less, usually abstains during the week, and is very supportive.

Keep up the great work LisaDawn! You have so much to look forward to so maintain that strength because you get stronger everyday.

All the best

Dave
10 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't know how my name came out that way but I am not drunk! Really! LisaDawn
23 days sounds really awesome to me right now. 10 more then I have and I can't wait to see if I feel better. I am still having cravings and still want to cry sometimes but it passes and is slightly less frequent!  I told my husband last night that I really wanted a drink but boredom and stress just weren't good reasons to drink anymore. He agreed as he had
 That beer. Today he told me he is going to try to be a bit healthier. I haven't said a word but maybe he sees me trying so hard and not getting to freaked out with him or anyone. I am trying to be happy about this as I can and not be all poor me. I told him I really like not being hungover and I know he get so them more then he use to and that may make him think. Have a great weekend and good luck to everyone! LisaD wanwan
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LisaDawn and Camiol, I observe the same thing as each of you.  My wife, and all of our women friends and her women friends, drink wine in the way you describe, but most in moderation.  I prefer scotch or gin and tonic or dark rum and ginger beer.  Oops, that's getting the wrong train of thought started!  It's getting easier for me to abstain -- the strong cravings have disappeared.  It's 23 days for me -- I am so new to this.  I cannot remember what it is like to not drink and get a buzz on each day; but I'm starting to really like it. I am having a much easier time thinking at work too -- far more days when I know I am on top of things mentally rather than trying to fake it.

LisaDawn restraint when your husband was having a beer!

Camiol, keep up the good work!

John
Hi Camiol: day 13. I can't believe it. My husband was watching the football game last night and having a beer and I could visualize myself reaching over and taking a sip. I had to talk myself out of that one. I one hundred percent agree on the wine. I noticed a big change in my drinking when I started drinking wine a few years back. I had many more cravings once I started and boy did I love wine. I had actually in the last few months switched to beer when I drank as I knew wine was way more of a problem. I got a lot drunker on wine all the time. The last time I drank I had some wine and Beer mixed and I got really drunk.  A lot of women I know drink wine and those ones in particular are very enthusiastic about having it. I know many who like myself probably have a problem that they are going to have to face someday. Almost every woman I know uses wine to take the edge off at the end of the day.
 I read somewhere as well that women are much quicker in their progression in alcoholism then men. I know men metabolize alcohol differently as well. The progression thing is probably what really pushed me to want to stop as it is in my family and I was afraid of what the rest of my life would look like if I did not stop. It is what scares me the most. Didn't mean to ramble but had been reading a little on this as well. Good luck on the weekend! LisaDawn 
10 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LisaDawn you seem so much more positive today.  Keep up the good work.  You're right about women and alcoholism on the rise, I haven't  read much about it, but I see it in my daily life.  I took a step back and looked into the addiction so many of us face, it seems wine is the major addiction...would you agree?  After reading so many posts on this site, it seemed the majority of us have an addiction to wine.  I began to do some research on it and found that the sugar content in wine is a large part of why we become addicted to it.  I'm not sure if wine was your drink of choice, its just something that I recall looking into.  

Keep up the good fight...you're doing a great job!
Thanks all: day 12 today. First time I woke up with a bit clearer head. The funny part is I did not think I would go through a real detox even with drinking 20 sometimes 25 or 30 drinks a week. I noticed yesterday that I was enjoying some things in life more then I was. There were many days when I was rushing around getting everything done when I wasn't hungover with the sole purpose of relaxing when I was hungover. Easy to see how every single thing I did was somehow related to drinking. I hope that gets even better and I can begin to focus on the activities and hobbies that I use to love. I was reading quickly yesterday about a book on women and alcohol and how it is so on the rise that it is scary. It really is no surprise considering we often put ourselves in the position of doing it all and put ourselves last. I thought by having drinks I was allowing myself to relax and putting myself first but boy was I wrong. I was always putting myself last in all areas of my life and I am just starting to see that. I was just using alcohol to ignore that. Day 73 turquoise way to go! LisaDawn
10 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LisaDawn awesome job on 11 days.  Even though its a tough battle, you're winning....keep up the good fight.  Writing how you feel in your diary, no matter what you say, is so helpful.  You're releasing frustrations and dealing with feelings that are far better to vent, than to keep bottled inside.  

Turquoise 72 days is so amazing.  Although you have your rough days, your sticking to abstinence and I commend you for it.  As always you are an inspiration to me.  

Everyone is doing so great, you all deserve a huge hug!  
10 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LisaDawn, posting every day is what this site is for. Keep doing it, girl, and stay sober! Yesterday was day 72, and it was very long and difficult and lots of wine whining in my head. I ended up eating nothing all day but cashews and Oreos (seriously, for breakfast, lunch & dinner, and I'm normally a very healthy eater!) and today I feel junk-food-hungover. BUT I DIDN'T DRINK! I have very few days now like yesterday - mostly I have good days and my chronic headaches are gone (wow) and I'm saving a lot of money. Did you ever see the post where I calculated all the money I spent over the years on alcohol. A complete estimation, of course, but it's worth going back to when you started drinking, and trying to estimate how much money has been poured down your throat. It's quite eye-opening.
Thanks Dave: day 11 today. I feel better today. No one would want to read what I wrote in my diary yesterday. Just venting. I could not imagine that I would wake up today with less cravings as I was so ready to lose my mind yesterday. Really have to work a day at a time to get through. I don't know what I would do with two rough days in a row like yesterday. That was one of the worst. Last ditch effort for addiction to grab me early on maybe. My husband had some wine the day before which he asked me if I wanted some. I told him the mere fact that I wanted it so bad was a sign that I could not. He ended up not drinking it. I haven't discussed with him the fact that I am thinking about for good but the time will come. I will have some hurdles to overcome including one friend in particular but who knows. She may surprise me. I have had a couple of incidence in the last few days Dave like you where I was stewing over what happened with a friend and another with a family member. It can be hard to stop the storyline but that is all it is. I too had to get a grip after unnecessarily dwelling for too long. I don't mean to drive everyone crazy by posting everyday but I need to now to remind me of what I need to do for the day. All the advice has carried me. Thank you so much. LisaDawn

Reading this thread: