Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

Moderation Gang (MoGa) - an ongoing discussion of moderate drinking

11 years ago 0 234 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks!
I finally have a pic!

11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PJ, your input is always welcome. We never judge on this site, but we always offer support. Your words are positive and helpful, which is great. Thanks for sharing.
I wanted to quickly add, I'm working super hard on my own issues as well.  If I come across like I know it all etc, that's far from the case.
When I was feeling really really down 10 days ago, I came to this site, and it was a nice avenue for me.

I like feeling supported, so I try to share that with others.

Hi Turquoise         

It's admirable to take on the challenges and support with caring for your mother and focusing on taking good care of your children.  I find this site has also helped me quite a bit, just to share thoughts ideas, and hear peoples opinions.  You mentioned about is drinking moderately a realistic goal?

As we all know, this is definitely not a simple thing to kick or just stop.  Some people can, I for one was not able to just stop cold turkey.  through different programs, talking with folks like yourself, and analyzing what tools I need to keep moving forward.  It has been helpful.  I've also really started focusing on boundaries.  Like how much can I let somoene else really impact my emotions.  One thing I keep telling myself, everytime someone hurts me, or stresses me out, or puts me down.  I end up just hurting myself more by picking up a bottle.  It's something that kind of keeps me in check.  I have tried the moderation path as well.  I found that it started to get uncontrollable and every morning I would think about picking up something after work and playing the drums or chilling out.  I'm still learning, but in this program I have to be abstinent so it helps.

Please continue sharing,  Hope you're wellPJ

Hi Camiol,

Like others, I'm sorry to hear about the news about the interview result.  I know you're feeling pretty disappointed and down about things, but maybe, think about how excited you were to have that interview.  Although this one didn't necessarily work in your favour, you can always look forward to the same excited feeling when you go for your next interview.  That's something to hold on to, because you've shown yourself you're capable of feeling.

You definitely know more than anyone else that your current job is just going to remain temporary until you get the oppurtunity to move on.  I have had similar issues dealing with disappointing jobs etc, but keep the focus that it is still temporary.  You're going to succeed, get another interview some where else and absolutely nail it.  As one door closes another one will open :)

I'm trying to stay abstinent myself, as I have joined an outpatient program for the next 10 weeks.  I admire that you openly share about your using, your question of your own moderation (as you're the only one who can tell us).  The fact you're doing so is something to look up to.  It could be so easy to say things are going well, and I'm not drinking all that much.  It just shows your character and how conscience and aware you are about trying to keep this in check.

Although some things may not work out immediately, they eventually will.  I feel, you should give yourself a bit more credit (I know that's easy to say) but every post I have read from you shows compassion, generosity, integrity. 

It will all work out, maybe not tomorrow, but definitely one day!

Your Pal

PJ

11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BP I'm so happy to see you back on the site, I was very worried about you.  I am very disappointed about the job and really don't know why she even scheduled an interview with me when she knows I live 8 hrs away and I am hoping to work in one of their remote positions.  I was very upset and felt sick to my stomach to know I'm stuck at my job for a longer period of time.  I do believe everything happens for a reason though so I'm trying to remain positive.  

Thank you Turquoise for letting me know you care about me.  It feels good to know that I have friends who  are thinking of me.  I am also having a struggle with moderation and not sure if what I've been drinking the past few days would be considered as moderation, but I haven't been drunk.  Both last night and tonight I had three drinks.  I am disappointed in the fact that I'm not abstaining during the week, but I'm also happy that I'm under control.  I'm not fooling myself into thinking I can stay controlled this time, I've learned from experience that at some point, I lose all sense of control.  I do think that my loss of control is a willful action though.  Thinking back to the last couple times I've been drunk, it's been a conscious decision to drink too much.  It's been very difficult dealing with my job lately and as my husband has reminded me, I do have the option of a medical leave with full pay, but again my sense of responsibility (or is it codependency?) is preventing me from doing that.  I know the stress is affecting my health, I've experienced chest pains and tightness, but I'm still being stubborn about going on a leave.  

BP I will check that website and maybe order the kudzu again.  I am disappointed that the last shipment was lost.  Go figure....all the stuff I order from the US always shows up, and it's usually things I really don't need, I order something that can help me with this problem and it is lost in the mail.  Is that trying to tell me something?  Lol.

Thank you Marylizy and ElizabethRRRR, your kind words are a comfort to me.  Ladies you are both very strong and will get through any difficulties you're going through right now.  I have faith in you.  I refuse to give up on my quest for a new job.  Something good will happen in due time.  

Have a great evening my friends.  
11 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i Hi Mogas,
yes I haven't post recently but I was not away. I read the post daily in the office and I don't want to post anything to the forums via my company server. Besides, I sleep very early in these days.
I have been struggling with the adjustment of the dosage regarding to my depression in these weeks. I hope it could be better soon. I was so down last Friday and believe it or not, I slept through from Friday night to Monday morning. I tried to put myself into alseep to avoid drinking too much. My drinks are still under control. I have a glass of friut wine cooler after work, and a glass of red wine before sleep, but sometimes, I was greedy to have one or two more sips. But I am always discipline myself not to drink 8 hours before I drive to work the next day.  So sleep earlier is good for me.
Camiol, sorry to know your case, but don't give up, remember, tomorrow will take care of itself. If we did our best for today, it is more than rewarding. Besides, you still have your job, your family. Better than me umh, I have job but I have no family of my own.
I have ordered my Kuduz through 'cureself'.  It is an online shop in Vancouver and the shipment is pretty good. If you want to try Kudzu again, search in the site for their address. Kudzu is also good for cleasing the body system too.
Have to sleep now Ladies, wishing you all the best.
BP
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Camiol, I am so sorry. Take care of yourself tonight -- treat yourself like you would treat your daughter if she'd had a big disappointment in her life. Can you do something special for yourself? You've made some huge strides since you joined this site, and I know that a lot of us really care about you. Give yourself a hug from all of us...

Good to hear from you, Hope. It sounds like you did pretty darned well, under the circumstances. Good job! And everyone else, too. It helps to read about everyone's experiments and difficulties and successes. I wonder what we're all learning from this?

I've been scrambling constantly to catch up on nearly every aspect of my life since I returned from my own trip three weeks ago. I am the poster child of "sandwich generation", taking care of my elderly failing mom from a distance while navigating the learning curve of raising two young children. Neither job can be handed over to anyone else, and in general I do find it fulfilling. Sometimes (like lately) it's overwhelming, though. I haven't been sleeping well, and my drinking is slowly ramping up again. I went through my diary and found several days where I've had between 3 and 4 drinks.

I'm trying to contemplate this trend in regard to the big picture -- the whole moderation thing. Is drinking moderately a realistic goal for me? What does it mean to ME to be moderate? When I joined this site, the drinking had absolutely become a negative thing. I regularly drank an entire bottle wine and woke up hungover and mad at myself almost every day. I would often buy the 4-litre box wines to save money (and to rationalize not keeping track). Joining this site has been an awesome tool, and I am drinking so much less now. Ninety-five percent of the time, I feel like alcohol is a positive part of my life, and not a negative part, which is my main goal. And yet, there's still that five percent. Will I ever be able to get rid of that five percent? Does it matter?

I know that I'm OCD enough that it helps me to have a specific definition, such as "no more than 3 drinks per day and no more than 9 drinks per week". It keeps my drinking in perspective. It also helps me to have specific tools in place, like no alcohol in the house. On Saturday after 3 beers, my attitude was "there's only one glass of wine left in the bottle, so I might as well finish it. Then I won't be tempted tomorrow." That's a pretty stupid rationalization, seeing as I would have enjoyed the wine far more if I HAD waited until tomorrow. I ended up dumping my last half-glass into the sink, and it was a nice bottle of wine. But hey (here's my OCD coming up again) since the definition of "binge" is 4 drinks, it wasn't a binge!!!! Does that mean it's moderate?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rhetorical questions. Since I don't plan to become abstinent any time soon, it's hugely important for me to remind myself what it means for me to be moderate.....
11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I fell off my goal last night. I feel discouraged and weak. Just not coping well.

Hi Mosty. 

Camiol, of course you're bummed, but you sound resilient even so. 

11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry Camiol. Something else will come up. Keep trying.

Reading this thread: