Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Setting A New Goal

10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where are ya HB? 

Best regards,

Dave
10 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dave,
You are the greatest!!

Honey

10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jenny1723,

I can really relate to what you're saying. I'm going on a few months and the thought of waking up feeling like I was run over by a beer truck really motivates me not to drink. I do have times when I think "It would be nice to sit and drink some wine at a cafe when I'm away (like when I was on business last week) but it doesn't take long to give myself permission mentally for a moment and then work through where it always ends up. After that it's a big "No Thanks!". I'm really glad to have that life-style behind me and I don't miss it. In fact I'm grateful to be moving far, far away from it. I'm not considering moderating, at least at any point in the future. Life is much better, happier, and more productive, and considering how much I consumed up until a few months ago, I really don't feel bad about the fact I front-loaded my drinking to that time in my life. 

Duffy1218, that's a tough one walking through the airport. Been there many times. I travel and it took some getting used to because I would park my car and stop at the bar after the security check. Fortunately for you, you have your kids storming you when you walk through the door and I suspect you'll get a lot more out of being with them straight than hammered. You can still celebrate the joy of being home with them. Give it a try if you haven't.

Best regards,

Dave
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Duffy1218,

I really relate to what you said. I used to work at a group home where I would spend over half the week, and as soon as I got off work Sun morning, I felt justified in drinking to my heart's content. It wasn't every day, but I certainly made it worth my while. Lately I've been drinking quite a bit on Fri nights, as my job requires me to wake up very early throughout the week, and I at least have enough control at this point to not risk jeopardizing my work. I don't always drink after I get home either; some nights I might have 1 or 2 beers (or at least I start out with the intention of having that many, then I somehow wind up having had 4-5). Again, it's not every night though and the days when I don't drink aren't a struggle to get through, or anything like that, which I guess is why I still consider myself a "problem" drinker, or alcohol abuser. I don't feel physically dependent on alcohol, in other words, but I do tend to overdue it at times. Then again, I'm never mean, or cruel, or crass, so no one's ever really complained about my drinking. Which is another justification for continuing to do it. Still, I hate waking up feeling horrible, like I've killed off all my brain cells, and the mere fact that I can't seem to control it at times is enough to terrify me into wanting to at least moderate, if not quit altogether. My goal for now is no more than 2-4 drinks, 1-2 nights per week, if not total abstinence. And no more liquor. I'm seem to do okay with beer/wine. In other words, I can still drink a ton, but at least remember going to bed that night, whereas liquor seems to erase any memory by the end of the night, and I wake up feeling panicked. Anyway, thanks for sharing and I really hope anything I may have said is helpful to you as well. 
10 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My goals?...

I've recently returned to this site after about a year away. I guess I'm a problem drinker, 8+ drinks a day 2-3 times per week, (occasionally complimented with pain and/or sleeping pills) blackouts, high risk behaviour, debilitating hangovers etc. My goal is to cut down to 3 drinks per day and at least 2 days per week alcohol free. 

The twist with my situation is this: I work in the remote industrial setting, my schedule is two weeks at work and two weeks at home. While I'm at work it is 100% drug and alcohol free (enforced with drug tests, random searches, dogs and on site breathalyzer technicians...ZERO tolerance). So for two weeks per month not drinking is easy: just go to work! It's the two weeks off that ALWAYS get me. It starts when I get off the small charter flight and get to the main terminal at the major airport, cold beer calling my name every 50 yards, then on the plane "something to drink sir?" then I get home, "Yay! Daddy/Husband/Son is home! Lets celebrate!" And its off to the races. Part of me is saying (justifying?) drinking to excess while I'm home is fine because I'm "dry" for two weeks, but despite that I know I need to cut back while I'm home. I'm in "camp" until the 16th, after that my true challenge begins and I plan on using AHC and all of you for support!

Congrats to you guys BTW on your sobriety, it's funny how just simply sharing with strangers on this forum helps me, I hope it does the same for you, keep it up!
10 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It does help Captain John. Feeling a lot better today. Thanks for the help. I really hope you succeed and never give in. We can do this.
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AJ, keep going!  It's been 37 days for me.  Because we stopped nearly at the same time, I feel invested in your success!  I feel strong today.  I hope this helps you, somehow.  John
10 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My goal for Oct.11, 2013 is to make it 40 days alcohol free
10 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jenny, I joined AHC exactly one year before you, on June 17, 2012. I spent all of last year going through the entire range of moderation, because I honestly wanted to see if I could do it. I know that a lot of people can drink moderately, and it is always a very personal journey. Please feel free to read through my blog (all the way to the beginning, and it is a long way back) if you wish to see my ups and downs as I worked through a year of moderation. After a year of successes and failures, I finally realized that it wasn't working for me like I wanted it to. The huge gift to me when I decided to quit has been having this site to help me through the journey. I was not ready to quit without putting up a very hard fight for moderation. The proof I gave myself of that personal journey has been the main thing that helped me quit this summer.

Anyway, good luck! We will all be very interested and supportive no matter which direction your journey goes. I recommend you do the same thing I did, and keep a personal, detailed record of how it's working for you, and any personal insights you get along the way. Know that on the AHC site you will never find judgment, no matter your successes or slips. Only support and understanding from people who know how hard it can be, every single day.
10 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, Ashley and John- thanks for the supportive words!  Starr, congratulations on your two week mark!  Keep up the great work, it is well worth it!

I have found this site so helpful whether it be words of encouragement or words of wisdom and insight.  Although we are strangers, it really is amazing how we support each other.  

I have come to the realization that I can never again have the luxury of drinking with abandon, but I have found I can stop at one.  I have to very carefully plan when I drink and what I will have.  It is not easy but I am not in the habit anymore of reaching for a glass of wine every weekend to zone out. Daily meditation is a god send as a de-stresser and as something that grounds me. 

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has moderated their drinking with success or anyone with insights in this area?    

Reading this thread: