Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Starting fresh

12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had been to family counselling due to my wife forcing me to do it. Then I thought was still in control of my drinking. Didn't even know what alcoholism was. So when my counselor categorized me as a border line alcoholic (based on my false answers to the questionnaire) I just poo pooed it and went on my merry way. See back in late 80' when I drinking hard liquor, I promised to god that I will not drink but then few weeks later took back the promise justifying that I will not drink hard liquor but occasionally have a beer or 2. So that led to slow by steady spiraling down to old way of drinking. I still stuck to beer but just drank more of it. The moment of clarity came in 2006 when I was not able to present my own document I wrote couple of days earlier to an audience at work and thats when all my lies where exposed.Game over, I had to either seek help or I will be face further humiliation. 

After enter AA and reading the Big Book, I looked back at my state of living during the periods where I was drinking. More of my character defects were revealed. I saw how fearful, pathetic, selfish, self-centered person I was. The 12 steps of AA helps me even today to watch for those character traits. I am not a mean person anymore, but once in a while these short comings keep cropping up, but I am aware of that. And I try to be selfless being of use to fellow human beings who are still suffering. That in turn keeps me sober. I don't obsess over alcohol anymore. And i don't have to worry about the craving because, i don't have the necessity to take that first drink.

In the book it talks our we switching from one to another, it fit me to the T. Here is the paragraph i am talking about:

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums we could increase the list ad infinitum.

So, when I read these, I was convinced that I am one of them and had to seek the solution that the book talks about. So I found a sponsor and did my 5th step and started making amends. So here I am close to 6 years of being sober. Bear i my I was a daily drunk. But today I have no desire to drink. I can go to parties and be me without booze.

One thing I would say about modern AA is, people get caught up in the fellowship, meaning, people propagate the idea that to recover you have to go to meetings every day rest of your life. That is not true. What you need is a 'Spiritual Awakening' that you get by working the 12 steps. I to to 2 meetings a week but I other means to work the 12 steps. As i am typing this response, i am working my 12 steps.

12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you foxman for your input.  I have found the big book online, but I never finished reading it. Tell me this, please, you have been sober for many years now right? What was your pivotol (spelling?) moment?  At what point did you "cave" in and go to AA?  At what point did you let go of your addiction? Maybe I am not asking the right questions, but it's a start. Thanks...Red
12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here is the link to Alcoholics Anonymous  http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm.
Great book. Please read the Doctors Opinion, More about alcoholism and There is a Solution chapter. See if you can identify with the experience.
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,

We are here to help and not judge.  The members do know where you are coming from and they can lend a helping hand and give some added knowledge.  Start fresh and read through the program tips and tools. How do you begin to deal with this...here are a few simple items that you can follow:

Many members have found many different ways to cope with their desires, urges or thoughts about drinking. The following are some of the most common ways that others have used to deal with the urge or desire to have a drink when they know they shouldn’t.  Pick the ones that make sense to you:

*Drink nonalcoholic beverages (e.g., water, soda, pop, juice, coffee, tea)

*Eat some food

*Engage in other activities (e.g., walk, sports, hobby, distract yourself by working around the house)

*Engage with others who aren’t drinking to distract you and help you get over the urge

*Think about how much money you’ll save by not drinking

*Try not to think about your desire to drink

*Think about the benefits of not drinking

*Reassure yourself that the thoughts and desires will go away on their own

*Leave or don’t go to places or situations where you’ll have the urge (e.g., parties, bars, or sporting events)

*Try to identify what’s causing the desire to drink

*Review your Toolbox to remember what you’ve learned from this program

*Help other people who can benefit from you advice or experience

Remember, if one method does not work well for you, you can try something else.

Also be sure to reward yourself for all your hard work!

We are here to listen and support.

Josie, Health Educator
Also, I love to read. Does anyone have any books they can suggest that are great sources for helping in recovery? Thanks again!
Hello everyone! I'm back, I've been away for about a month from the site because I've been busy...drinking. I fell back into my pattern of binge drinking several times a week.  Mentally crying the whole time.  I'm frustrated. Overwhelmed. Feeling hopeless and at my wit's end!! Last night I stayed up until 4 a.m. Drinking. I got up and got my girls to school and came home and slept the day away. I hate doing that. I hate being an alcoholic. I'm tired of the mental battle every day to drink or not to drink.  So much of my life is being wasted and sleeping off hangovers and in a drunken fog.   I'm back everyone because I need your support.  Today is Day 1....reddragon 

Reading this thread: