Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

my first AA meeting

10 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gertie,
    Its very normal for people to be scared of going into a AA meeting. If you think about it, have n't we all made a fool of ourselves making a clown of ourselves while drinking? I did. And I would go into a package store early in the morning for booze. We never feel ashamed of that. However: when we want to recover, we are worried that people will condemn us. Its other way around, in fact they will be proud of what you are doing.
10 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gertie, I feel EXACTLY the same way you do.  I think about going every single day and those same fears stop me.  Maybe tomorrow.  There's always tomorrow.

At least, that's what I tell myself.  I'm probably more afraid of the fact that I know how big of an impact it will make on my life and I'm afraid of that even more.
10 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm trying to go to my first AA meeting and so far haven't made it. I am terrified that I'll be recognized or something - on the way in (someone on the street who might know me professionally) seeing me going to an AA meeting. I get very confused and directionally challenged when I am nervous and am afraid that I won't be able to find the entrance and next thing I'll have all these strangers on the street saying out loud to me "Oh it's the AA meeting you are looking for!" The level of shame I feel is so intense.
10 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
People in AA understand people who are still stuggling because they know how it is, they all been there. They will be embrasing you with open arms. In bigger cities, you may find 'Young People' AA meetings but it really doesn't matter. Alcoholism does not descriminate, people from all walk of life are part of the fellowship, you will be at home, take that leap of faith and make it to a meeting. Find a compatible person who would lead you through the 12 steps of AA and help you achieve a spiritual awakening.
10 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Javier, I went to AA meetings quite often. I did take someone with me a couple times. It gets easier. You shouldn't feel under any pressure to 'share'. If you hear something you want to comment on eventually you will and once you speak out the first time it's easier. Getting to the meetings and chatting with others is good too. It helps you get to know people. I know it is easy for me to say but really, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Dealing with your problem at this stage in your life is incredibly wise and brave. My daughter is a year older than you and she has a problem but doesn't see it. I know that I've played in role in it but she is an adult and capable of making her own choices. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed, be very proud of yourself. Admitting the problem and seeking help is half the battle.
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find it very difficult to go to my first aa meeting! For some reason I feel embarrassed and ashamed of my self that I need these meetings! I know they're what I need but still it's hard for me being a 22 year old with a drinking problem! Do you think it would be easier if I took some one with me 
11 years ago 0 108 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 I think it is a good go , i should remind myself why i has taken these steps when my brain tries to trick me, and also of my meetings and Sharings both here and there and how good it  feels and how i feel sober . And like how i read here on another posting someone carries with them why they do not drink . i think i should have a journal to have both .. 
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That sounds like a good idea. Do you think that would be helpful?

11 years ago 0 108 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you Ashley 

To tell you the truth i have no idea , Maybe i should keep a small journal with me? 

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Junebug!

That takes a lot of strength and courage. Great work.

How can you hold on to this feeling of accomplishment and confidence?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: