Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

I hope it's not too late.

15 years ago 0 126 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Jasmine, I hope you are doing better these days.  I to have made a commentment to give up drinking.  My son is very important to me and I had a car accident over the weekend during his birthday.  I felt bad for myself and sought help through professional counseling right away before I could change my mind. 

My military service was a hard 20 years where drinking was the macho thing to do.  My of us where placed on ships where drinking problems where documneted in many of the saliors personal records.  I have tried to control my drinking by myself serveral times, only to think I have my addition under control and can handle a little wine and not sprits.  But after starting the sprits I can seem to stop.  Blackouts have occured where I don't know what I have said or done.  I feel ashamed the next day when people would tell me how mean or badly I had behaved.  It's time for me to change and I have taken the necessary step to get help on my journy.  Family, friends, online chats, AA, and counseling services from work.

Remember what the others have said, once you admitt to yourself that you want to change,  then that's a first good step.

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stella,

Good for you for being active and making progress!

It does feel good to improve yourself!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jasmine:

It's a long hard road so don't expect it to be a done deal right away.  You'll try things and some will work and some will not.  Everyone has their own way of dealing with the cravings.  I started to exercise whenever I felt a craving coming on.  I've been walking a lot and have lost some weight.  I don't know how much but enough where several people have mentioned it.  Okay, I started the walking to get me through a craving but, to get the extra benefit of the weight loss has been tremendous.    I feel and look better.  I now walk just to get outside, get that fresh air and bright sunlight.  Much better than the dark bar, the dark alcohol, and the dark thoughts.  Good luck and keep going through this site.  You'll see that you are NOT alone.

Stella
15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jasmine its only too late if you are dead. There is damage there but that can be healed after time and some effort. When I landed in detox center I wasn't allowed to so my kids. Now I am living with them again, and we have a closer relationship than ever. I have AA to thank for that. Giving up drinking is hard, being happy about it is even harder at first. But after working a program it is possible. I drank any possible opportunity for a good 10 years and when I wasn't drinking I was MISERABLE. When the compulsion hit me to have a drink it was totally overpowering. But that was then, today the compulsion to drink has been lifted and I feel like I belong.

I hope you find your way - it is possible and rewarding!

15 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jasmine,

I   didn't have your exact problem, but I did drink during the day and I hid it (so I thought), and was basically a stay-at-home drinker, so that I wasn't "outed" as you are. I too felt hopeless, and I hated myself for the hold that booze had over me. If you want to hear more of my story you can read the posts I've made under the heading of "first post, I need a buddy".

Here at this site I have found many useful tools, and plenty to read to help me, and lots of encouragement from others on the site. I hope you will have a similar experience, and find the answers that work for you. I have you in my thoughts and am praying you will find the solutions you need, to be set free of this addiction.   You can do it -for your daughter and for you.

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jasmine,

Welcome to the Alcohol Help Center and congratulations on taking the first steps to getting the help you need. You have definitely come to the right place.

Start working through program, a big component of it is learning about yourself so you can better understand your addiction.
Some people find that taking a break from drinking for a while really helps them get control of their alcohol use. Start reading through the forums. I think you'll find there are many people out there you can relate to. The forum is also full of advice and will offer you the wisdom of many diverse experiences in relation to alcohol addiction.

Check back soon and let us know how you're doing. We're always here to answer any questions you may have or to provide you with some feedback.

Members, do you have any advice for Jasmine? Has anyone ever been in her shoes?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I'm new to this. I have been drinking heavily during the day for about 5 or 6 years now. Have tried to quit several times and have never been able to go more than a few days. Lately I have been having terrible fights with my 14 yr old daughter in which she berates me for my drinking. Somehow, I thought that my kids didn't notice that I was drunk most every afternoon! I am heartbroken over what is happening with my daughter. She has been embarrassed in front of her friends by me, I have promised her I would stop. I actually didn't drink for about 7 days. Then last week, I took 4 of her friends to a football game that she was cheering at and when we went in the gate lady searched my purse and found my bottle of jd, made me take it back to the car. My daughter was already inside, but her friends told her about it. She will barely speak to me now, I don't blame her, but I hope somehow I can repair my relationship with her. I know that the only way it will be possible is if I really quit drinking completely. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel so hopeless right now.

Reading this thread: