Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

New to this site

11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are all so strong and honest with yourselves. That inspires me.

When I set my goal, I said two drinks per day. I thought, that's realistic after my recent level of intake. Then I noticed everyone else says one or none. For several days I only had one. I'm proud of that. But today I've had two and I'm headed for three. It's time to brew up another pitcher of iced herb tea.

Moga's unite!

11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marylizy we will never give up on you.  

I have had three very weak drinks tonight.  I just mixed myself  a fourth one and probably added only half an ounce of rum and right jow I really don't want it.  I have drank a little less than half of it and I think I'll throw the rest out.  I'm not feeling anything more than that 1st drink glow and I dont want to feel anything more than that.  I almost wish I hadn't drank anything tonight, I wish I had stuck to abstinence, but I'm proud that I controlled myself and made very light drinks and drank them slowly, watering them down with more club soda once the glass was half empty to make the drink last longer without having more alcohol.  I think I'll call it a wrap for the night, dump this drink out and just relax til my family gets home from the cottage.

Hang tough Marylizy, tomorrow is a new day and you can start fresh and join us in our week of sobriety challenge.  Thinking of you and wishing you strength.  

11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, all of you...I know I am weak....and alcohol is a big crutch but it has been for so long I can;t not use it now...Don;t give up on me...I will get through this...
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marylizy, do what you need to do to get through this. We are thinking about you....
Marylizy I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  I had an uncle pass away from pancreatic cancer as well as a close family friend, its a horrible suffering and I understand why you're so upset.  I also understand your fear of growing old and being alone.  It's not necessarily going to happen that way for you.  I am having a mojito now, I made it with 1 oz of rum and halfway through the drink I added more club soda to make it last longer and to weaken the rum.  Hoping this will be my way of controlling myself tonight,  maybe the next one will be virgin, maybe not, but I'm going to keep track of my drinks tonight and hopefully stick to my goal of three oz of rum.  Whatever we both do tonight, we will be ok and tomorrow is another day.
Hi MOGA"S  I know I am using this as an excuse to drink but found out an old friend with pancreatic cancer, whom I thought had 6 months now has hospice and only 2 if lucky....Also found out where my ex husband is, in a geriatric rehab after some surgery ( he is 15 years older then me and we have been divorced since 1984) It has taken me 2 weeks to track him down after his release from the hospital...It is again just another sad reality I need to look at because since I am alone it will be me down the line, alone, lying in a bed with no one I know around me....Yikes. listen to me and my pity party...Sorry MOGA's but I am drinking and it will all be better tomorrow...Thanks for being there...
I think I can follow your idea of planning how much I will drink tonight Turquoise.  If I choose to drink, I will try for three drinks (1 oz of rum per drink) and drink a virgin mojito in between.  I am saying this now and I can't guarantee that I will follow through with it to a tee, but I will try my best to be conscious of how much I'm consuming and to keep it under control.  Oddly enough there have been many times that I've made myself a mojito and totally forgot to put rum in it, so making virgin ones intentionally shouldn't be a problem.  

I would LOVE to drink wine tonight, but I know that for me, I have no sense of control when it comes to wine.  I drink it until I am so drunk I pass out.  Waking up in the morning with blackouts from the previous night is not what I want to ever have happen again.  Self control seems to be very difficult for me.  I can relate to Foxmans posts about how we fool ourselves into thinking we can have just one drink.  I do it a lot.  Yes there have been times I was able to control myself, but more often I haven't had the ability to control it.  Tonight I will do my level best.  
That is a great point Turquoise...I usually start by not filling the glass too much,,,kind of like I am not going to drink too much that way only I just refill it more times...so that ploy does not work. Then in the morning I look at the bottle to see how much I drank...so yes speaking in servings instead of bottle works..but when I/we drink a bottle I will say it that way...to get the point across I drank too much...Again thanks for all the tips fellow MOGA's...
Hmm - since a glass of wine can be anything, I think I'm going to start avoiding that term, as well. I'm going to be flat-out honest and just say "servings". Last night I had two servings of wine....because the alcohol content in 10oz is the same, whether I drank it from two small glasses, one large glass, or even straight out of the bottle!
Hey Mogas,

I had an unexpected glass of wine last night. My husband came home with a single bottle of my favorite red wine, poured each of us one glass, then deliberately (and making sure that I knew he was doing it) put the bottle away and out of sight. He told me it was because we both earned it  and he was feeling very appreciative of me. It was such a nice gesture, although my feeling when I took my first sip was a bit apprehensive, because it was absolutely unplanned for me. The glass was fairly large - it's closer to 10 oz. than 5 oz., so in keeping with my self-honesty, I need to count it as two drinks. But it was lovely to drink a glass of wine with him while the kids were getting themselves ready for bed. And I was satisfied at the end with one glass, and I believe that he was, as well. I think I need to buy us some 5 oz glasses, so that I don't try and fool myself like I have for so many years.

Yay, Hope, for staying sober last night. Marylizy and all the rest of us, maybe we should try to look at our drinking in terms of how many oz (or ml) we had. A standard drink is equal to 12 oz (355 ml.) beer with 5% alcohol; 5 oz. (150 ml.) glass of wine (12.5% alcohol); 1.5 oz. (45 ml.) of 80 proof liquor (40% alcohol).

Saying that I drank a half a bottle of wine is different than saying I drank two and a half glasses (12.5 oz, or 325 ml = 2.5 servings) -- even though it's exactly the same thing. Is this a lapse? Not unless I do it more than three times a week! Moderate drinking is defined on this site as three or less drinks in one day, and nine or less drinks within one week. Saying that I had a mojito or a margarita could mean anything. The question is how many standard drinks did I have by the end of the evening? Was it three or less?

If you DO drink tonight, Camiol, make sure it is planned when you start! Decide exactly how many oz/ml of alcohol you WANT to drink, and put the rest away before it can tempt you. Make you virgin mojitos easy to access and ready to go. Moga is all about learning moderation, and I know that it's possible for some people. A binge eater is not someone who has a normal dessert with most dinners, and occasionally eats too much! Even if that person spent most of their life overweight, they can learn to eat moderately. The same can be true for drinking, for many people. In my mind, this forum is the way for me to find out if I am a person who can do it. Being honest with you guys on this site and honestly tracking my drinking patterns, will surely tell me if I can drink moderately.

Reading this thread: