Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

New to this site

11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ladies...I've already caved and had two very light drinks today.  My bestfriend came by this afternoon and we sat on the deck  and had a couple cocktails.  I am ok with it, I was thinking about our goal and although I didn't start my total abstinence today, I did keep it totally under control. We made plans to go for dinner tonight with a group of people and again if I decide to have a drink with dinner, I'll keep it controlled.  I apologize for being the first to not stick to the Moga goal ladies, and I hope you can forgive me.  I am just pleased that I've been under control and totally conscious of how much I'm drinking, where in the past, that first drink would cause me to lose all sense of control, I just wanted to get as much booze as possible into my body.  Now I'm aware of how much I'm consuming and I'm taking control of how much I'm allowing myself to drink.  I will try to start my abstinence tomorrow.  I hope you're not too disappointed in me.  
11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elizabeth, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Just do what you have to and live with it. It is not the end of the universe if you decide to have a drink this week. It is an exercise we are all trying to do. You will not be judged. I was a mess last night myself and now it is a new day, new start and I can make it what ever I desire. Tonight though, I am not going to drink and hope I can meet the MOGA goal for all week...Good luck ladies...Keep in touch...
11 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Count me in MOGAs..I'm in.. Busy day, I will check in later..
I just wanted to inform you that I'm with you ladies.. 1st day...

11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not happy that I fell off my goal last night. Three drinks. At least I think it was just three. My hand was on the bottle for another one, and I put it back in the fridge.

I am worried about going back to work in a couple of weeks (I'm a teacher, and I just got some bad news related to work), my brother's cancer surgery coming up at the same time, and I was physically tired from being outdoors all day. Plus this weekend trip coming up... another opportunity to worry about something.

I really want to try to meet your Moga challenge-- and my own.

11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morning Mogas! I have a minute before I have to get everyone up, and I am pretty psyched about my upcoming week sober. Remember, Camiol, how badly you want to get through a whole weekend (and seven whole days) without drinking? I know you can do it! Bring tons of virgin mojito mixings to your dad's BBQ, and stick to the club soda. If you can get through Saturday, you will be through the hardest part. Marylizy, I hope you aren't feeling badly this morning, and I'm glad you're planning to do the week. I'm going to need some help - knowing that others are doing it too will help me a lot. We are Mogas and we CAN do moderation - which includes being able to say no when we want to say no. How about the others? Are you going to try?
11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morning and yes, it is a brighter day..I was weak and allowed myself to be so silly as to think getting drunk was going to solve anything. I know better on my rational side but my addictive side won. OK MOGA's this starts 1 week of sobriety. Looking forward to the challenge. Good luck to all of you and thank you so much for your encouragement. It means a lot to me. Have a great Friday and a safe weekend doing all your adventures.  
11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning ladies....first off I want to wish Turquoise a safe, fun trip.  It's Friday, the day we all have agreed to a week of abstinence....are we ready?  At this moment, 6;30 a.m. I feel ready and think I can do this.  Later today could be a whole new ball game, but I'm going to give it my best shot.  I was hoping to go into Michigan today and take my daughter to a water park about an hour from where I live.  It's looking a bit gloomy out there right now, but well see how the day looks in a couple hours.  Tomorrow is the family BBQ for my dads birthday, again it will be a struggle to abstain, but if I do drink, it will be in moderation because I have kept my drinking hidden from my dad.  

I'm also feeling ambivalent Turquoise, but this is the plan we made and we will try to reach this goal.  We did say that should any of us choose to drink, we will not judge, I think giving us the option to opt out without any feelings of guilt or shame is a good idea. Even though we're doing this as the Mogas, it's also an individual choice on whether or not we abstain for a whole week.  I'm feeling good about my choices last night. I have no guilt at all about having those very light drinks.  I feel like I was strong in my conviction to stay sober and not let it get out of hand. 

Marylizy how did you do last night?  I hope you're feeling better today.  Its a new day, a better day, and you have all of us to lean on if you need a shoulder.  

Turquoise I hope you have a minute to check in here before you hit the road.  Stay strong ladies, we're in this week of sobriety together.  

11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marylizy, how are you doing? Hanging in there? 

BP, have you ever heard of RLS, or Restless Leg Syndrome? It runs in my family and I've had it bad since my second pregnancy. SSRI's can make it worse. I was near suicide after my daughter was born, because the RLS literally hadn't allowed me to sleep more than an hour at a time for almost six months. You might google RLS (also called Ekbom's Disease), or talk to your doctor about it, because it can seriously disrupt sleep and cause depression. There are medications for it that are fully compatible with antidepressants, and it is astounding how much of a difference it can make in your life, if you can sleep peacefully. Let me know if you'd like to know more, because I'm the RLS queen. (And pramipexole has changed my life....)

I didn't end up having drinks with my friend over lunch after all, but this evening I sat and watched the sunset with my husband and my cousin, with two servings of a really nice red wine. We were all happy and positive, and we put the bottle away with about 1/3 of it left. Unthinkable! I'm not sure we've ever done that before. I mean, honestly? To not finish the bottle when there's that little left. I'm not sure I could have done it by myself, but it happened very naturally.

Anyway, starting from this moment I plan to remain completely sober for seven days. Right now, honestly, I feel ambivalent about it. Why would I possibly want to go seven whole days without a nice wine buzz like I had tonight? The monster is so very pretty today, I have to remind myself how nasty she can be... 

I am going on a road trip with my two kids starting in the morning, and I will do my best not to drink with the various friends I'll be staying with on the way. One of my friends is into single-malt whisky, which I think I can easily avoid. Another likes wine, but she's more into the sweet wines, which I don't like much. If I can just focus on my Moga goal -- ONE WEEK -- I think I can do it. I certainly don't want to blow it on alcohol that I don't even like very much. I'll check in on my Mogas when I can, but it might be spotty. Who else is starting this tomorrow? It's only a week - can we do it? Can we help each other through this?
11 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey Marylizy and Camiol too,
hang in there and remember and remember to control your drinks. For sure you could get through it. And remember you are not alone, we are here to encourage each an others.
To all Mogas, we have to keep hands in hands in walking through our 'sober journey'. I have only one glass of fruit wine cooler tonight  but  the cut tng down of my antidepressant dosage makes my so restless, but I keep on telling myself that I have to fight with the withdrawal. Trust me, if we have the determination, we could make it -- to be sober all the time!.
I am still thinking about Monica, hope she could read our posts and join us (the Mogas) again. 
Let us be strong and much stronger and stronger. Only ourselves could change our own life. Let's living with a life style and enjoy everyday without any hangover!
Black Pearl

11 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
marylizy,

So sorry to hear about your friend and ex-husband. If you are choosing to drink tonight, how can you control your intake so that you don't lose control?

Stay strong!

Sonia

Reading this thread: