Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

New to this site

11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Mogas, 

I am anticipating Friday and a week of knowing we are doing this together. I plan to go out for lunch tomorrow with a friend who has a restaurant Groupon that includes two drinks. I will probably drink my two on Thursday, but that will be it for the week. Starting on Friday I will try and not drink anything for the entire coming week.

Can you believe it? Me, looking forward to a full week without drinking? Things have changed... Mogahood is good for me. Who knows how I'll feel about it halfway through next week, but I'm very hopeful that it will be a positive experience all the way through. I also think I'm sold on trying the Kudzu thing. I will be looking out for it today, or I may order it online. It will be interesting to share our experiences with it. Thanks BP for letting us know about it. How are you feeling today? You have been doing amazingly well under your circumstances, so keep doing what is working for you! Regarding our Moga-sober week, there are no expectations for anyone, just something challenging and positive for us to share. 

Camiol - fabulous that you are already going on five days sober at this point. It sounds like everyone else is having a pretty good week, and I am as well. I am having persistent bad headaches in the mornings that feel like a hangover, but they gradually disappear with coffee. Go figure - I've been drinking coffee for decades and never had caffeine symptoms, but maybe reducing my alcohol consumption is related?

My husband has decided to turn our burglary-attempt smashed-window incident into an excuse for expanding the front porch area into a small home-office for me! Seeing as my home-office has been in a corner of the living room, this will be wonderful. Anyway, gotta go get ready for work. Thanks for starting my day off right.
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I looked up some information about Kudzu on several websites: 

1) WebMD: An extract from the Chinese herb kudzu may help drinkers cut down on drinking, according to a new pilot study. "It didn't stop the drinking," says researcher David M. Penetar, PhD, assistant professor of psychology at McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School. "They still drank, but they drank less."Penetar's team studied 10 men and women, average age 26. On average, the men and women drank 3.5 beers after placebo and 2.4 after puerarin. When they had the herbal treatment, people also took more sips to finish a beer, took longer to down it, and reduced their sip size. During the week of puerarin treatment, they drank slightly less than during the placebo week -- three drinks a day compared to 3.4. No serious side effects were reported. For drinkers who want to cut down, this may help.

2) Altmedicine.about.com: Postmenopausal women in a kudzu study showed improvements in cognitive function and attention span. Kudzu may also decrease the frequency, duration, and intensity of cluster headaches. Extracts from Kudzu added to the diets of obese mice resulted in a reversal in weight gain and fat accumulation. 

3) Women who are taking birth control pills that contain estrogen might be adversely affected by the phytoestrogens from the Kudzu root that might make their birth control pill less effective. You should not take kudzu if you have the following • Medications that slow blood clotting (Anticoagulant / Antiplatelet drugs) • Estrogen sensitive cancers and medications such as Tamoxifen and Methotrexate • Medications used for treating diabetes

11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi BP, I ordered the Natures Way kudzu.....How long have you been taking it and are you feeling that it is starting to work for you?  I ordered 3 bottles of 90 capsules.  Are you taking it 2-3 times a day?  It's great to know that someone I know is taking it and hopefully we both reap some benefits from it.  We don't have a Chinese super market here.  Until I joined this site I'd never heard of kudzu.  I'm praying that it will be helpful in reducing the cravings.  I thought I might also pick up some milk thistle liquid or capsules to help cleanse my liver.  

I'm feeling pretty good today ladies, it's day 5 of sobriety for me and I'm feeling positive that I can make it through the weekend without a drink.  I love strawberry mojitos and really it doesnt matter if there is rum or not in the drink, I love the taste.  So my goal this weekend is to just drink virgin mojitos.  I think I can do it.  

I'm finally going to have my daughter and husband back home tonight and I am very excited to see my little girl.  That alone is enough motivation for me to stay away from alcohol.  I want to spend quality time with her and my husband.  I love my alone time, but I miss my family and I am happy they're coming home.  

Have a good day ladies.  I'll catch up with you later.
11 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ladies, I'm in with MOGA.. count me in..
I had a few beers last night... but no hangover today.. It's extremely hot here, I have no energy to either exercise, or do anything else to distract myself at home.. My energy is so low to keep me motivated to do or not to do anything.
Looking after for Friday and make a fresh start may be a good idea to motivate myself..
11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love the Mogas idea....It is a cool club to be part of...I had a campari and soda before dinner last night...tasted real good but stopped at one and switched to herb tea. I met my goal of moderation. I don't think 1 drink is so bad but maybe that is making excuses. I hope not. I enjoy a drink both for the flavor and the relaxing act of doing it. It is when it gets out of hand that it is not fun. I am going to try and abstain but have a fun get to gether on Saturday and may have one glass of wine. I am putting that out there now so I don't feel I let the Mogas down if I have to report it...As usual I want to thank you all for your support...
11 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Camiol,
I am taking the Kudzu from 'Nature's Way' unfortunately they do not carry vcaps. (since I am a vegetarian), no way because the other brand with tablets is always out of stock. If you are taking this brand (Nature's Way), you may consider to order Super Thisilyn, it is a detox formula and it helps to replemish the liver.
I do not know whether you have Chinese supermarket in your area, may be you can find the kudzu root there, if so, you can cut the kudzu root into samll pieces and boil with dried figs for 2-3 hours, drink it as a kind of tea. Good for health too.
Go to google, find image Kudzu, and you will know what it looks like. (sorry, I can't attach the photo here for you)
Have to sleep again. talk soon.
I hope I will not have nightmare again....
BP
Hey ladies I almost forgot to tell you that I placed an order online for kudzu.  I hope to have it in a week or two, and I can't wait to try it out to see if it works.  Ok...I'm off to bed now.  Good night friends.
11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm willing to try the MoGa.

I only had a half glass of wine with the girls, and a half when I got home. Way less temptation with your support. Thank you for your encouragement!!!

Well it is another alcohol free night for me and I feel good about it.  I got over my habit of a drink when I walk in the door from work by picking up dinner for myself tonight.  My husband and daughter are at the cottage again, his sister is at the cottage for a visit from her hometown.  Anyway after dinner I immediately took a walk up to the temporary mailboxes at the end of my street since my road is torn up for new sewer and water lines.  Wow what a mess it is, I have a giant pit in my front yard and two trees were removed from my property.  Amyway I'm going off track.  After I got back home I prepared the trash to put out for pick up....well the construction guys take it up to the corner, then I started a manicure, my nails needed filing and polishing.  I am still feeling the effects of withdrawal but I can deal with it.  

Turquoise very good idea to start the deal on Friday, that way I have to abstain.  I promise you, the other ladies and especially myself, that I will try with everything in my being to not drink at all this weekend.  I know it's going to be difficult, but I want to see if I can actually do it.  

Well it's time I do a few things to keep myself busy for the remainder of the evening.  BP stay strong...youre doing great.  I am cheering you on!  You go girl!
11 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi to all Moga Ladies,
I am having a cold since last weekend and at the same time my antidepressant dosage cut down to 1/3 starting from this Monday, I am so restless these days and I didn't even have mood to turn on my computer.  Anyway, here I am again.
I had some cravings for alcohol last night when I woke up around 2 with night sweat again, of course I didn't because I knew that I have to drive to work.  I never dirnk and drive. I will make sure that my BAC is 0 before I switch on the engine. Good girl? Am I?  hahaha.
Yes, I am joing the gang I will make myself sober, but how about a bottle of fruit wine cooler after work and at home? Will it violate the 'Mogas' rules??  : )
Have to sleep now because I am still so restless....better put myself into asleep.
will check in tomorrow, hopefully I will be better at that time.
Sweet dreams Ladies and take care
BP

Reading this thread: