Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

~m

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
marina,

Do you have a support person to lean on? Call them to help!

Pull right past the bar and come and post with us!

Have a stress ball on hand or a great home made CD to pop in for the drive..this will help distract you along with your positive self -talk!

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Can anyone relate to one of my biggest issues?

I've  been following the program and developing practical strategies for the situations when I am most likely to go ahead and drinks, eg, I have rewards planned, have ironed out the logic of why I don't want to drink etc. But my problem is this: When I am tempted (eg driving past the bar), I seem to forget all of those things. Then afterwards I think "I really didn't want to do that because [my reasons]". I've tried emailing myself these strategies so that they are always with me to look at, but then I forget they are in my phone.

Does anyone relate to this, and how have you dealt with it? Cheers, Marina.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Finding a moment of true mental peace can be amazing! I'm glad that is useful for some of you. It is such an effective tool.
 ~m, do keep it up, try not to see your failure but your success!! Doing something when you are still learning it will feel awkward- that is normal.

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ray... I have started doing the relaxation techniques, breathing and meditating.  It feels awkward and forced most of the time and I get easily discouraged.  However, there are moments of being "in the zone" with such peace and clarity.  It's amazing.  I'm glad you said something about how helpful it has been for you.  I'm inspired to keep working on it. 
13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, ~m it will get better! Have you ever tried meditation, yoga, or relaxation techniques? I have found inner peace recently with meditation. I used to be a very spiritual person and I think that helped me stay balance. For a while I left my spirituality to the wayside, but I have really been getting in tune with that side of myself again and it really does bring a certain zen and fluidity to my life... I highly recommend it :)

Here for you! 

Ray
13 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One day at a time ~m.  Be as kind to yourself as you are to others.

Athena
Thank you Healthyj... I must have felt your good vibes.  I f eel a lot calmer and I didn't drink yesterday at all
13 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there! 
Oh and we talked about me drinking to calm myself, but I also drink to give myself courage.  Without the alcohol I'm a mess... more scared than ever.  I know that is like a lie that it tells........ I have to get past the withdrawals and it will get better.  Yes?
Not feeling so proud right now.  I just can't seem to get a grip on myself. I'm trying to put things I'm learning into practice and just feel kind of confused.  I don't know what to focus on.  I try to participate in the Panic Center forums and I'm all tongue-tied (finger-tied??)  I have to read the lessons over and over to understand.  I get confused between thoughts and emotions and what are we trying to change.  I feel really lost over there and now lost over here too. I keep changing stuff and deleting stuff and rewriting and I'm sure exhausted by it.  I just want to do the program step by step, 1.2.3., but I sure could use someone to point me in the right direction because my sense of direction has gotten lost.  I didn't drink today.  One whole day. Yay.  I need to quit not just moderate so maybe I guess that is a positive???  Help.  Anyone have a map?

Reading this thread: