Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Need to stop

4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
e-AA.org is AA associated forum. You may visit that site and there is a sponsor request link, put in your request and you will be assigned a person. If you find them not helpful, you can always request another. 
4 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Foxman,
You asked if I ever sat down with another woman and went through the Big Book? I have not. I've heard that it's good to have a sponsor but I've also heard that it's hard to find someone to sponsor you. Does this forum help you get in touch with people that are like a sponsor?
PS59
4 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pam,

I am glad you are working with a therapist. I think many people who struggle with addictions issues do so because they self medicate with their drug of choice. Past pain and trauma certainly impacts our ability to cope with day-to-day life. I think it's great your therapist is focusing on the cause. Finding alternative ways to cope with your difficult feelings sounds like an important part of your recovery.  

What we know about behaviour change is that it happens in stages. If you keep thinking about change, eventually you will take action. You have to be ready to let go of it as a coping skill though, and replace it with something that is more in line with what you want.  I know, when you are ready, you will be able to quit. Don't give up faith in yourself, or the process. If you keep trying then you are winning in my books.

Ashley, Health Educator
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I go for about 4 days with nothing to drink and then start back in and I'm consumed with guilt and self-hatred.

If you look closely, just prior to picking back up, the mind would have overridden all your resolve. Perhaps, it will say, we will just buy a smaller quantity or maybe, just you have been sober for a week, you deserve a celebration. In AA we call it the peculiar mental twist. 

The mind will keep tricking us back and we have a problem after taking that first drink. Our body and mind wants more. 

Some people experience acute anxiety, restlessness, irritability, discontendness......when not drinking. That is the main reason we get lost. we are overwhelmed and see that sense of ease and comfort that comes with drinking.

I see you have visited AA, but did you ever sit with another woman and went through the big book?

Hi, Ashley. 
I have tried to quit before. I have tried AA and Sober Recovery but didn’t stay with it. Sometimes I struggle with finding a reason to stop because I’ve had a lot of pain and loss in my life and drinking helps me numb my feelings. I’ve been seeing a therapist that specializes in addiction for five years. She’s trying to help me find the underlying causes. I don’t ever give up trying but I’m starting to be scared that I can’t stop.
Pam
4 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome,

I am glad you found us. I am sorry you are consumed with self-hatred and guilt. That is not a good place to be. As tough as these emotions are, sometimes they can help motivate us to change. Just don't let these emotions bog you down. You can do this and you deserve to feel better.

I encourage you to work your way through the program and post as often as you like.  Have you attempted to quit in the past? If so, what was your experience?

Are you hoping to abstain or moderate your drinking?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi. I'm new and am looking for people who I can reach out to for help in stopping the madness of drinking. I have been drinking two bottles of wine a day for the last week. I go for about 4 days with nothing to drink and then start back in and I'm consumed with guilt and self-hatred. I have so many reasons NOT to drink but I still do it. It affects my marriage and my relationships with friends. I'm pretty good at hiding it if I want to but it's going to affect my health in a big way and then I won't be able to hide it any longer. I just want to stop...

Reading this thread: