Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,718 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142, HIngle_McCringleberry

I?m another newbie

10 years ago 0 11219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Amy,

Many people who abuse alcohol do stay in deniel  because facing an addiction can be very painful.  Try going here: www.checkyourdrinking.net  to access  your drinking.

Let us know what you find out.
Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi nunnyowen,

How is it going now that you are few days into it? It can be more than a little over-whelming, especially if you mainly drink to excess on the weekends (and it's Friday so you may be experiencing a little turmoil as the day progresses?). It's uncomfortable for sure but you need to stay focused and move past these initial tests of resolve. You're not going to be missing out on anything if you don't drink and the store where you buy alcohol won't suddenly run dry. I can remember the first Friday about 5 pm and thinking "I want a beer!" because I had become conditioned to expect a big "return on investment" after going to the liquor store (reward). Unfortunately the reward I received was short lived as the following day equated to a big loss (time, energy, motivation). It's kind of funny (semi-humorous and odd) if we look at it in that context because we would never consider making an investment and hanging on to it if it would spike quickly for a day and then bomb the following day, yet that's exactly what we do over and over. The sad part about it is that alcohol abuse takes a small piece of you each time you binge, physically and mentally, and we fall into that state of indifference and denial by continuing the escalation. So now you're you're making a REALLY SMART investment in yourself (and everyone else here who are starting down this path) and the payback is priceless. 

You're on the right track nunnyowen. Good for you and stick to it! Write and post lot's. Write your thoughts in your diary because you'll refer back to them and that REALLY helps. And don't let that stupid voice in your head talk you into drinking (and it will)!

Best regards,

Dave
10 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's great Jakelad, hope the 9 days have been rewarding and not too difficult. I too drink to extremes just to get drunk and "take the edge off" as they say, but I don't drink too often (normally once a week or so) but when I do it's to the point that I don't know what I'm doing and I become a different person. I'm hoping that I will learn to be strong enough to resist the urge to do that in future. Thanks for your support
Yes, you're right, I guess I have been selfishly prolonging the inevitable, thanks for your words
Hi Maccy, thanks for your words of support. I've been second-guessing myself and to-ing and fro-ing, but I think it's time to stop making excuses and accept the fact that I could use some support and not be ashamed of that 
10 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sober 9 days, no expert at all. Hope I never drink again, I know for sure today I won't. I have chosen to live today rather then die. The best slogan I have heard is "no situation has ever been imporved by having a drink off booze" AA member. I know full well that I am powerless over booze and that my life is un managable when I am drunk. For me I always drink alcohicly, to get drunk. Today I refuse to do that. Wish you all the best.
10 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How do you know if you're in denial about your drinking habit and its effect on your life?

We don't know that, because we are driven. Something should happen that forces us to realize deep down within that alcohol is not working. Until then we will be proloning the agony for us and others.
10 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi. im gonna say the same to you as i just said to sloan...well done in taking this step! i'm no expert but my advice is keep posting, be kind to yourself (finding it difficult and asking for help is NOT a sign of weakness) - i found it quite scary, but i'm glad ive done it. we are all here for the same reason, ie we want to change and need support! asking for support is an important and positive step. good on you. Maccy
Hi,

This is the first time that I've visited a support group like this. I'm pretty overwhelmed by the fact that I have wound up in a position where my drinking has meant that I am looking for support. I am chuffed that I am here but I do feel pretty lost like a rabbit in the headlights and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.....

How do you know if you're in denial about your drinking habit and its effect on your life?

Amy

Reading this thread: