Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

First day on the site

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ElizabethRRRR & royhobbs, so glad to hear you are both doing well - keep up the momentum!

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to hear it Roy!

So far so good, only one night a little off. 

Let's keep it up. This feels better.

11 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elizabeth, So far so good. This week has been a lot easier than the first. I've continued to stay busy. Staying busy and recognizing that there were some urges and writing about them have really helped me stay on this path. Right now I know I feel great, and I'm still motivated to stay sober. However I also know that if I don't continue on the path that I am on, I will fall/fail. Thanks for asking :) how's everything going for you on your end?
Hi Roy, it's been a week, how are you doing?
Hi Royhobbs, making it through the weekend is a great accomplishment. Way to break the patterns!
Hi Camiol, Thanks for the congrats. The weekend was initially a tough thing to get through, starting Friday. Since I'm used to drinking even more over the weekend, it was a tough to get through at first from a mental standpoint. Basically what I did was something "different" when I say that, instead of going through the same motions that I did in the past, "wake up, drink, shower, go to work, work, drink, come home, drink, pass out" I woke up, wrote in my journal, cooked breakfast, ironed my clothes for work, went to work, read on the train on the way to work, worked, came home, cooked dinner, went out to the movies, went to a coffee shop after, came home, wrote in my journal again, and fell asleep". Although I did have some urges, I utilized the boards and looked back at what I wanted out of my decision to stop drinking. To me I thought about how important it was to me, and was it worth staying sober for it? For me it was also a matter of action, I would always say I would stop for this reason or that reason, but I wanted to do it for myself this time and not someone else. I can't remember the last time I've felt this good! Waking up on a Saturday morning and Sunday morning knowing where I had been? It's an amazing feeling. Change where you go over the weekend, the people you associate with. Go to a bookstore during the weekend and have some coffee and have some you time, I love doing that. It helps me relax and you get to see some interesting people and find a good read as well. Make a map of some cool places that you have always wanted to try, food wise and activity wise. Work out , get the stress out of you that drinking would supplant and use that stress at the gym. Definitely writing. I hope my diatribe helped a little bit, I've slipped up so many times I'm just glad that I took the step to try again. :) "Never quit quitting" :)
11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Royhobbs, congrats on making it one week?  How do you get through the weekend?  What distractions did you use to stay sober?  I just can't seem to get through the weekends without having a drink.  I'm trying to find something that will help me get through the first weekend of sobriety and I think if I can get through one, that'll be my first step over the biggest hump.  
Hi  ElizabethRRRR
You got it right on the nose, it's from the Natural.  My favorite movie of all time, and it is definitely a story of hitting bottom and getting back on top.  Perseverance and never losing sight of your ultimate goal.

Today is the end of day number 7 and I feel great.  It's been tough this first week but it's been worth it.  This site and all of the support has helped me through some cravings/urges.  I hope it does the same for you as well, glad to see you joined too 

L.
Hi Roy Hobbs, is that from The Natural? That's certainly a story of redemption and transformation. I joined today and I see you joined yesterday. Good luck with your quest.

Marylizy, I hope tomorrow is better for you.

11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you every one for your positive support. I know that I can not let the little glitches in life send me down the road to self medicating. I made the wrong choice yesterday but it is over and now I can continue on this journey. It helps to see all the support here. I am so greateful to each and every one of you out there dealing with your own struggles each day and becoming stronger and stronger. 

Reading this thread: