Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Starting over

11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Athena, thanks so much for the immediate support -- I'm grasping for a lifeline and this helps already. I do know a lot about the neurological processes of alcohol addiction - during my Naltrexone therapy I studied the chemical and psychological effects fairly deeply, and I plan to study it all again. I'm going to look for something local along the lines of the Women for Sobriety group you mentioned. Thanks again. My last drink was 24 hours ago and counting.
12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome hitting50,

I hope that you can find information and support here that will help you.  It's great that you have the support of your husband and your doctor.  I am not comfortable at AA meetings either, but I have found that being able to talk about the struggles of trying to stop drinking with other people who are going through the same thing has been a tremendous help to me.  I attend a Women for Sobriety group and a self-help group for women affected by mental health issues and addiction.  I never knew these things even existed until I started connecting with addiction treatment services.

Two other things that helped me were connecting with an addiction counsellor who helped me plan very concrete strategies for getting through withdrawal and the early weeks of sobriety, and learning about the neurological processes in addiction.  I'm not sure where you can access information about this,.  We saw some videos in the day treatment program I attended that really opened my eyes and helped me understand why it is so hard to quit.  I am going to do alittle research and see if I can find something on the internet and post a link.

Anyway, I am glad you are here.  I am glad that you have a supportive family and I congratulate you on taking steps to take care of your own health and well being.  Keep coming back.

Athena
12 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I just joined this support group, and I'm very new to this. A couple of hours ago, I initially posted to an already-existing thread, but I realize I should have started my own thread, so I'm starting over.

And yes, I am starting over. I am almost fifty years old; I'm healthy, athletic, happy, successful -- and I have two young children who are now getting old enough to pay attention to how much I drink. I have spent the past ten years worrying about how much I drink, and the past two years actively (and utterly ineffectively) trying to cut down. I am a successful professional, and my drinking has never affected my family / social / or professional life. I've been taking Naltrexone for the past two years, and it has proven overall unsuccessful for me. I attended one AA meeting, but that is totally not my style. My husband of sixteen years, who is the most wonderful man in the world, is my favorite and primary drinking buddy. We both enjoy ourselves so much over a glass (or three) of fine wine several times a week. We have always loved going out on dates, or staying home and watching the sunset, going to parties together, and all of the other fabulous romantic things people do with a glass of wine in hand. At least three or four times within the past two months, I have driven while under the influence, and that's not unusual. Twice with my kids in the car. One of those times I know I was fully intoxicated. I'm really, really good at hiding it, even from myself.

My husband is very supportive of my decision to quit drinking, but we've been through this scenario several times over the past few years. He's just not strong enough to resist me when I convince him that THIS time I can handle just one drink and it won't start escalating. THIS time, let's keep alcohol out of the house, and I'll only drink when we're out on a date together. THIS time, I'll stick to red wine only, which will surely keep me from drinking too much. THIS time, I'll let him be my babysitter, and I'll stop whenever he tells me to. This morning I told him that I'm really going to quit for good, and he agreed to do whatever it takes. I'm already rehearsing ways to talk him out of it.

I have never tried an online support group before. I am also considering talking to my doctor about disulfiram. I'm not sure I can do this.....

Reading this thread: