Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

New Start

13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Rosie... this is REAL progress!  Thanks for inspiring us with your success!
13 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am just starting day 11 of being sober, and I am enjoying it so much. I have found it easier to try and break the old patterns and do other things than I thought it would be, actually the buzz of being sober and in control is in a way replacing the old habits. I think the key for me is to keep busy and then I get a real kick out of how much I have achieved in the day, compared to my drinking days when I would do the bare minimum to get by so it wouldn't affect my drinking time, then I would have to have a sleep in the afternoon which would sober me up enough to carry on later!
I know it is very early days, but I really hope I have enough strength to continue because I dont want to go back to my old life, physically I feel so much better even after this short time.

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rosie,

Welcome!

Your determination and drive is outstanding, keep this close.  Do look through the site and use the tips and tools to help you every step of the way.  Post often with us, as the members have a lot to share with you and they can also provide amazing support.

We are here for you!

Josie, Health Educator
Thank you very much for your support, just going to take each day at a time, and try and get back to interests, hobbies I had in the pre-drink days!!!!!
I have read about that story, and still thought I would be O.K.!!!!! I am desperate not to make the same mistake ever again, so will never try to drink socially again, I realize I cant.
Thankyou for your reply

13 years ago 0 79 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck Rosie57!  4 days is a great start in the right direction!
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I foolishly thought I would be able to drink 'normally' and 'socially' which I did at first

Thats the in-sanity AA talks about. There is a story in the book called AA where a Business man quits in order to succeed in in business career. And after 30 years of a successful career, he picks up a drink but and pretty soon his drinking gets out of control. So the book says once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. We cannot make a normal drunk, there is no medication out there yet to do that. The only solution is spiritual.
I stopped drinking for over a year, then in 2009 had the temptation to start up again, I foolishly thought I would be able to drink 'normally' and 'socially' which I did at first, but then the old bad habits started to re-appear and before I knew it I was drinking alone and it started to get completely out of hand. My new partner has been very patient and supportive, but my drinking was getting so out of control that last Saturday, we had a terrible argument in which I got very violent, and I almost lost him.  I have vowed never to touch another drink again, and poured my stash down the sink, I am on day 4 of being sober and know it is going to be a hard road but I am determined to succeed this time before I lose everything
Wish me luck!

Reading this thread: