Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,771 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78

Just wanted to say hi

13 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to completely agree with you Foxman.

Be careful Scott, don't let your guard down. Anytime I had ended up in a situation where there was heavy drinking I would succumb to the temptation. I've done a lot of reading and learned that self knowledge doesn't make the disease any easier...and then found it to be true based on experience! Oh how I hate the vicious cycle. I found the best way to stay sober is to avoid such events which is really hard at first but it gets easier. Good luck!
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Scott,
   Thanks for the title. I don't usually butt-in to somebodies plan. But your use of the word sobriety gave me a big laugh. Sobriety for me is not putting any mind altering substance in the body.  

Good luck with your experiment. A problem drinker always thinks one day he can control his drinking and enjoy too. But this is a progressive disease. You seem to be in control but then you will get in a vicious cycle and people get caught off-guard. 

13 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Scott,

I think this is a great goal.  Complete abstinence is a must for some but not for others. Here we believe it is your choice.  You know what's right for you and it sounds like your choice was made after a lot of thought and effort.

Stay strong and let us know how the trip goes!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Foxman

you are right, my plan is a dangerous one.

for me, my notion of sobriety doesn't equate with total abstinence - instead I'm aiming to avoid getting drunk, or ever tipsy.  I feel as long as I keep my BAC below .05, I have a fighting chance of avoiding ratching it up to .25.  I'm pretty sure now that I'm not (yet) a full alcoholic, in that I have now proven to myself for 5 weeks that I can have one or two drinks and shut it down.  I'm just a bad alcohol abuser.  My goal remains to avoid the abuse, severe or mild, of alcohol.

anyway, i'm treating this cottage trip as a big league test of my coping strategies and more simply, my desire to stay sober (which thankfully is getting stronger with time).

foxman - for me you have become the wily veteran of this site and I really appreciate your thoughts.  thanks.
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Scott,
    Beer is also an alcoholic beverage. I am confused when you say its sobriety check when you are already decided to go with few bottles of beer. Whenever I went in with that notion, invariably, something will happen in the party that will trick me into relaxing all the rules for that day and work on the sobriety on a later date. 
13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Scott,

Best of luck, let us know how it goes. Thinking of you.

Ray
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Scott,

Thank you for sharing this with us. It sounds like you are working on preparing yourself for this weekend. Work through the program and make use of the coping mechanisms that are offered to you. Know that you are not alone, we are here supporting you. Check in when you get back to let us know how it goes. 

Members, what tips do you have for Scott to help him through this time?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tomorrow is my superbowl of sobriety.  Overnight at a friend's cottage, with about 6 guys from work.  All prolific drinkers.  There will be binging triggers galore.  I'm bringing a few beers and a lot of 0.5% alcohol beers.  This is the big one.  If I can stay sober tomorrow, I can stay sober anytime.

Wish me luck.
13 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
haha you forgot smashed.......

lol

I know what you mean about the tops ups! Boy are they a killer. 

How are you doing by the way?

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Scott,

Thanks for sharing your story with us and know that this can help every single one of us learn from experience.  We are very proud of your success and we encourage you to keep posting with us.  What are you using to help you cope?  Do you have an exit strategy?

We would love to hear more about your journey and please don't forget to be nice to yourself for all your hard work and success!

Josie, Health Educator

Reading this thread: