Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Day one

13 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Laurabear,

You are going through a tough time and personnally I found it made it difficult to try to change or kick the habit when we are under such pain. I've lost many men because of alcool, even my husband of 22 years but that was not sufficient to make me stop. I am finally in control, I did get a LOT of help from my present boyfriend but I think mostly that I was at the point where I turned 50 and I did not want the second half of my life to look like the first half, going nowhere except down the bottle

You can do it too. Try to find a way to unstress and change your mind and post often. It helped me a lot and I think it did for many other person who come regularly.
13 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I felt the same way you are feeling now, and thought alcohol was the cure all for everything.
I used it to fall asleep, function during the day,and feel lousy the rest of the time.
It was something I had to have all the time....

Then I thought I might need to seek and get an opinion on my behavior,
Because it was taking over my life.
I figured at this point what could it hurt.
He have me a short test and and went over it with me.

He then made an appointment with a who diagnosed me bi-polar.
Then, with the correct medications, the excessive cravings for alcohol  to
something that AA could and I could handle.

I'm saying there may be something more than alcohol, there was in my case,
Good luck to you
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.

The above is from 'We Agnostics' chapter of the book called Alcoholics Anonymous. You may read the whole book on-line googling "Alcoholics Anonymous".
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Laurabear,

You are not in this alone.  I am sorry you are going through such a difficult time right now.  I know it is incredibly hard but you can get through it.  You can beat this.  Please use the program and post often.

Are you planning on stopping completely or just cutting back?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello.  I'm new to this.  But I need help and I need to stop drinking.  I have been using it for sleep for about 3 years.  Every night.  I have been highly functioning until now.  I have called in sick, gone to work late, sick at work, you name it I've done it.  I need and will stop, but I need to talk about it.  Once you start drinking, it's so hard to stop, until you basically fall asleep, or for me, fall.  I have so many bruises, I wake up with no idea what happened.  My poor dog - he gets fed and gets a lot of love, but he's used to sleeping all weekend, and licking away my tears.  Because my alcohol problem ended my engagement. And the love of my life is not here anymore, and I'm 30 and alone.  And I know I'm not old - but I am for a woman - and cuddling with a cute dog every night just won't cut it.  
Anyways, I am just starting out.  Any advice?  I am a professional, I went to school for a very long time, and I'm single.  Help?

Reading this thread: