Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,709 Members

Please welcome our newest members: rainyjade, AJ8142, HIngle_McCringleberry, DezSkin, josephinee

Part 1 of Damians Story

14 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing your story. The beginning is a tough place to start but so important to remember. I sugest journalling all these thoughts because they can help you in so many ways down the road. We can beat ourselves up too much with the past, try to stay in today as much as possible. "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a GIFT thats why its called the present"

You cannot change the past only learn from it - and help others by sharing that knowledge. The day can come that you will not regret your past if you do the work that comes along with it, but for now just stay sober a day at a time. All those regrets can be helped by working a 12 step program. Not only has that method kept me sober, but also made me happy about being sober.

I don't care what anyone says alcoholism is a disease - anyone who doesn't believe that should google THIQ . We were the best people that our disease let us be. We  aren't bad people, we are sick people trying to get well.

Hang in there - there are brighter days!

Rick

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working together and gaining support is a great step in this journey for all of you!

Share, support and listen, we are all here to help!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Penguin,

this has really helped me, i'm on day one - and struggling, I have had a good old cry, and I'm watching one of the most useless TV programmes made by the BBC - i dont even know why i bother...

An i have had a fair few of those wake up calls myself, last time was the final one - i cant let myself lose everything, i've already lost my dignity - I'm in my early thirties too, and seems like Ray may well be too, I know I'm a few miles away from you over here in the UK - but i think all three of us and everyone else on this site can work together to make a huge difference to our lives. I didnt want to go to AA, this site is going to hopefully save me :) and the rest of us - so i join you in saying thank you to the mods and organisers
14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin,

Welcome to the site. My heart broke when I read your story. I'm quite young and I've already damaged friendships, relationships and my body. I've been doing my best to stay sober and i feel much better about myself this way.

I here for you penguin, do not feel alone....

Ray

14 years ago 0 11219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin,

Thank you for sharing your story.  You seem like a very thoughtful and insightful person.  Yes, you did not answer the call but you are answering it now and that is what matters.  After everything it really shows your character that you show strength now.  You achieved so much in your life and you know what? You can do that again.  If you could go back in time and say something to the you from yesterday what would it be?  Would it still apply today?  

Keep posting; you will get through this and we will be right here with you.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First of all, thank you for the opportunity to give and receive the critical information we all need to succeed on this long journey to absolute sobriety. There are many wake up calls associated with drugs and alcohol. Please accept one.

I am 33 years old, a Las Vegas native, and an alcoholic.  The drinking began when I was 15 years old. When I say it began, I mean on a regular daily basis 18 years ago. I was in high school and I met a beautiful girl that I ended up dating for one year. At the time I was experimenting with weed and alcohol everyday. I never finished high school but got my GED a year later. Anyway, during that year I had gotten her pregnant and she had an abortion because she decided we were to young for that. Later I found out that she didn't want the kid because of my drinking problem. Wow. I had no clue. This was a wake up call but guess what - didn't answer the call.

After that broken heart session I met my true love at age 20. I was drinking all along everyday the last few years and went out one night to a club to meet my future wife Candace. She was beautiful beyond belief. She stayed the night on the first night we met but didn't do the nasty. She just moved into her new apartment and gave me her number but the number was wrong! I sat on that phone and dialed every number associated with the one she gave me and Finally got ahold of her. "I cracked the code!" We joked about that many times during our 7 year relationship. We ended up having 2 kids together. My daughter was born Aug.2001 and my son in Dec.2002. I had the perfect life- bought a house, had kids, a wife, and a good electrician job. After 7 years we decided to split up. I'll tell ya something...I was drinking heavy just about everyday we were together and I thought it was OK. I mean she drank once in a while so whats the big deal?  She actually controlled her drinking and I was far from. I was to the point to where I would want to puke every morning and I took Xanax (anti-depression pills) to feel better from the hangover. It was getting bad and it progressed to where we got so aggrivated with each other and I moved out. She got remarried the next year. I still regret my actions to this day. This was a wake up call but guess what - didn't answer the call.

In 2005 I met another love of my life but didn't know it till it was too late. Her name was Andrea, a nextdoor  neighbor I played with at 10 years old. She found me on Myspace. We dated for over 3 years and had great times. She had a son from a previous marriage (same age as my daughter) and we made it work. Again I drank everyday and thought it would be ok. I moved out early of 2009. This was a wake up call but guess what - didn't answer the call.

I have a few heart breaks and think about them every day. I was making $80,000+  last year. I went from THAT to almost a homeless situation. In 2005 I started a handyman business here in vegas. I eventually had an account with a bank that payed very well remodeling houses. I moved to California to continue my work but my drink followed me. I lived the good life for a few months until the company noticed my drinking problem. I was cut off along with 12 workers under me. This was a wake up call but guess what - didn't answer the call.

Now I am living with a friend in a studio apartment. I am looking for work everyday, I have no vehicle, but I'm concentrating on being sober. I have 16 days and hope to control myself for all time ahead. I will post details in the near future.

It's miserable to feel alone and depressed but it gets better everyday, I promise!

Reading this thread: