Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Day 1 - Admitting to Myself

14 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep that's me. Especially the second excerpt. Terrible as it sounds, I would buy a 40oz, drink all night, and the next morning I had lost the remainder. I would search and search, finding empty bottles and hoping I didn't drink the WHOLE 40oz!  Eventually I would stumble across it in one of my hiding spots. An alcoholic also doesn't realize they are one usually until it's too late, or they lose something important to them. Luckily this hasn't happened to me yet and I'm only 30 with a lot of life to live.

I feel great today, 2nd day sober, and have an appointment with a counselor tomorrow. I haven't told my husband yet though, or anyone else for that matter. I hope the willpower lasts, but I have a feeling the weekend will be a challenge. Even before I got carried away drinking almost every day, I was always a weekend drinker.
14 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started buying bottles with cash so it wouldn't show on the credit card statement and hiding them in cabinets or places

Hiding the bottles! Only Alcoholics can understand the need. if you read the book called Alcoholics anonymous there is a paragraph that describes a real-alcoholic. here is some excepts:

=================================================================================== 
But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink.
He is the fellow who goes to bed so intoxicated he ought to sleep the clock around. Yet early next morning he searches madly for the bottle he misplace the night before. If he can afford it, he may have liquor concealed all over his house to be certain no one gets his entire supply away from him to throw down the wastepipe.
 ===================================================================================

this book was written in 1939 and we have been doing this for eons....

you may want to try AA.
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jewlz,

Welcome to our wonderful support community, you have come to a great place
Please take the time to read through the program and to explore the tools and resources that are available to you through this site. Please also read through the forums. There are many people who have and who are going through the same thing as you. You have definitely taken some steps in the right direction by admitting you have a problem and by seeking a counselors support, and you should feel extremely proud of yourself for this.

Members, do you mind sharing your experiences of telling your partner or loved one that you need support? How did you approach the topic? How did it go?
We are here to help and support you in whatever you need, so please stay close, and keep us posted on how you are doing. 

Hang in there Jewlz,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been drinking since a teenager, but never felt like it was too much until now. I have never admitted I'm an alcoholic to anyone until today. I called my local Addiction Services office and told a counselor about my problem and that I would like some help. She is calling back later this afternoon to make an appointment with me as it wasn't a good time to talk right then.

I never had reason to hide my drinking until I got really heavy into it over the last 6 months. I started buying bottles with cash so it wouldn't show on the credit card statement and hiding them in cabinets or places I knew my husband wouldn't look. I would drink vodka so he wouldn't be able to smell it on me and I would drink thinking he didn't know.  I didn't know when to stop though, so a few times he has asked me about it. This last week was one time, I lied and said I wasn't drinking, but he knew, and he looked at me disgusted. I drank secretly for 3 more days after that "look", but I can't get the guilt out of my head. It's time...

I feel very ashamed and don't want to tell anyone or attend meetings. I don't know if this feeling will pass or not, but for now I'm just going to try this one on one counseling. I want to tell my husband tonight, but we've never really talked about my drinking, and I'm ashamed to even admit to him that I have a problem and have contacted help. I need him to know though, and I need his support. I hope he's willing.

Reading this thread: