Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Day 7 and hurting, playing mind games with myself

9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Look at you go!!!

You are really kicking butt!!!   Those new addictions you mentioned sound a LOT better than the one you just smacked down!  Continue to reward yourself for every little milestone you achieve!  I like your thoughts... committing to "zero tolerance"!  That's the way to do it!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 7

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Still smoke free. I get the occasional "It would be nice to have one" craving but it pretty much fades in minutes if not seconds. I'm feel so much better. My allergies actually have been reduced by like 80%. I have more energy, too much sometimes! Doing more activities. It was worth the pain to quit for sure. For those of you who said to me not to even have one cigarette, THANK YOU. You were right. I quit once years before and I didn't fully commit to zero tolerance. This time I did and I am done. The sad part is I did like it but I know I can never go back, I know I could never just have one. Moving forward and looking forward to some new addictions like exercise, travel, restaurants etc!
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey cdngreeneyes,

124 days in, from what I read on your quit meter. So 4 months and a few extra days! Look at you go! 

You're going to keep on feeling better from here on out. And you're right that the weight will work itself out, one way or another. It took me a while (a year and a half) to seriously deal with the weight, but now I am finally about 15 lbs. below my quit weight.   But even when heavier, you're healthier than when you smoked. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,510.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 17

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations cdngreeneyes. You are doing really well. I'm a believer in the cold turkey method. From what I know most people who manage to quit do it straight cold Turkey. Many people who go on NRT just never seem to make it. my opinion is that cold turkey is the easiest and kindest method to quit. I'll post my views on NRT on my blog soon. I'm not saying that NRT will not work I just believe there are easier and better methods to quit. So count yourself lucky that you didn't start NRT.
9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  Way to Go cdngreeneyes! 
It's been a while since I checked in. When I first started this post I truly was hurting, playing mind games. Saying to myself one cigarette won't hurt etc. One would have become two then you all know the story after that. I pushed through and took a zero tolerance/cold turkey approach but I had to change many of my others patterns as well. Coming here was also a huge help. Getting ideas, knowing I wasn't alone. Knowing that feeling weak was also a part of the process and that I shouldn't feel ashamed as I was feeling that too. I go days or weeks without thinking of cigarettes, the only time I do is when I see someone having one or see someone in a movie etc. It reminds that I used to enjoy them but they are now a thing of the past and my cravings have almost no presence in my life anymore. That being said, there are still moments but they are small and pass quickly. Before I really set my mind to it this time I didn't realize I would have to undergo a behaviour modification. I had to change my coffee routine, for the first two month I basically cut out coffee and drank mostly tea instead when I craved a coffee. In essence I may have gone through two withdrawls but I felt one was linked to another. For my friends who still smoked I only had to tell them once that I quit. They were the most supportive, perhaps because they knew the best what I was going through. They made it easier for me, now I told them they could smoke around me and that it doesn't bother me anymore (outside only of course). I never smoked inside a house or building believe it or not. They have never once offered me one since the day I said I quit. That also made a huge a difference as well. When you are doubting yourself and someone reinforces the negative doubt it makes it more difficult. I was never a big drinker just a social beer or wine, but I cut that out too in the beginning. I have now reintroduced that into my social life. As for sex, well I never did smoke after sex for no change there ;) I am not going to say this was a pleasurable experience because it wasn't. It's not easy either as you all know but it's worth it. I feel better, I breathe better, I have less allergies, I have more energy, my clothes and hands smell better, okay, so I put on a few more pounds but I'll take care of that with the gym and eating right that will be easy compared to this. I know it and I am pretty sure it will never be over but I am very happy to report that when I started I was counting the minutes and hours to get past the next barrage of cravings. That went to hours and the blocks of hours which turned into days and now I am in the weeks and months stage. One thing I wanted to mention was that I was at a Dr. appointment the other day and I told him I quit months ago. He spent a great deal of time talking with and making sure I was okay and that I had given them up forever. He also said I should have told him from the beginning and he would have helped me along the way, with support, blood tests, vitamins and if needed medication to soften the withdrawl. Perhaps it's just my silly pride that I wanted to battle this by myself but looking back now maybe I should have also asked him for help. Anyhow I wanted to say thank you for to those who send me kind words of encouragement and to offer some support for those who are about to go down the same path.
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cdngreeneyes,

You're doing great!  These temptations will creep up, but each time you resist, they get a little weaker. It sounds like you have a good handle on what to do in terms of redirecting your attention. Keep checking in. 

And hi ytsgalaxy,

You're doing great, too. You're totally right about that first week. If you can get through that, you really can get through any temptation that pops up later. The relapse dreams are a common thing for those who are quitting. Seems to be part of the letting go process for some of us. I think the best part of those is waking up and remembering that you haven't relapsed after all. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,510.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 17

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cdngreeneyes Congratulations on stopping smoking. Last night I had a nightmare that I had a smoke. It was really intense. I could smell and taste that awful smell and I could feel the smoke irritating my throat. I was waiting to see if I would get that dizzy feeling. I don't remember if it ever came. I remember feeling awful and guilty while having that cig. Later when I like half woke up I wasn't sure if I had smoked or not and that short time felt like ages. Once I got up I was relieved that it was all a dream. What is strange is that I haven't had a craving since day 15 of my quit. Btw this is my third nightmare that I smoked since quitting but by far the most intense. Believe me I have wanted to quit for 17 years now. Anyway what gives me strength is that I celebrate every single day that I'm not smoking and will continue to do so. That's how important out is to me. You will be fine just celebrate the fact that you are a non smoker. There is no going back life is better and you know it. Once anyone has quit for a week it's a shame to go back because there is no need. regards John
Well still not smoking. Stress increasing at work causing cravings to spark. They are mental cravings though, I have to catch myself in the moment then realize its not a real craving. I am not going to lie. It hasn't been easy. Sometimes typing here doesn't really reflect the little battle. A simple distraction typically works, going to get a cold glass of water and drinking it slowly but consistently. Change the environment I am in for a even a few minutes. Things that make it worse... watching a show or movie where someone is smoking... walking past smokers while they are smoking. I am still in avoidance even after two months. I am looking forward to the day where my mind tells me to go eat something like chocolate or a hamburger than immediately say a cigarette would be fantastic right now!
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go!!!

Always try to keep that Positive Mental Attitude aimed towards remaining an awesome  NON-SMOKER!!!    The more psyched you remain about wandering down this path to freedom, the easier every day will become!  I definitely know that every day will not always be easy, but I do know that it REALLY helps!!!  I knew after I had that first month under my belt that I would NOT ever smoke again!  Just waking up every day and knowing that I was free from my addiction seemed to perpetuate that positive attitude!  Freedom is definitely worth every hard fought battle you will endure!

Nice reward, by the way!!!    You definitely deserve it!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 7

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked