Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Another day (3)

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello again, evilcan,

So glad that you are feeling a decrease in the cravings. It sounds like you are starting to see some light here.

And you are absolutely right that there is no reason to smoke, no matter what the stress factor is. 'Cause if you smoke, you still have the same problem as before AND you now have the new problem of being a smoker again.  

You're doing well. Keep checking in, as needed. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,562.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 2

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Hamlet. Hopefully you are still fighting the good fight. It's well worth it to wait it out and people here are very helpful. Cravings still come and go but are getting a little less on intensity. Went out yesterday and my smoking friend even suggested we sit in the non smoking section. Must say siting inside where it was nice an warm was pleasant. Good with the bad. I failed my exam. But you know if I started smoking again after I failed, why would the point have been?
10 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Know about the sleep like somebody from the walking dead at the minute hopefully pass soon
10 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi on day 5 here tough cant stop thinking about smoking but just going hang in . Keep it going man
10 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In my past quits days  7 and 8 were horrible, I mean HORRIBLE.  Just know it will pass.  With the all the knowledge in the world what lives in our minds can be overwhelming.  But you came here and posted and that is a very good thing.  Drink lots of cold water, read, exercise do something to distract and the craves will pass.  You are killing the demon and he doesn't go quietly. 

Keep checking in and let us know how you are doing.  Your quit is important.

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello evilcan,

I remember being scared that the cravings wouled go on forever like they did at first. Let me assure you that they will not. It actually calms down a lot more quickly than you might think.

One helpful tool here that I've used is the crave diary. I would highly recommend that you use it. It allows you to rate the degree of cravings on a 1-10 scale each day. In those first weeks, I was usually rating from 8-10. But it quickly tapered off into the 1-5 zone by the second month. After that, it dropped to 1's and 2's mostly. Then I started having some 0's, which means I didn't think about smoking for an entire day.

I still keep the crave diary for a couple of reasons:
1) It reminds me of how truly weak and infrequent my current "craves" really are (usually a 1 and it only happens 1 out of 4 days on average now). And by "1," I'm talking it's like a fleeting thought that passes after I take a deep breath. The rest of my days are 0's. Yes, I can go whole days without wanting to smoke now, and that is very nice.
2) Since it still pops up once or twice a week, I'm hoping to watch it continue to taper off.

Another thing to keep in mind is  that you are in the process of extinguishing your triggers to smoke. Each time you resist an urge, it will get weaker. You resist the urge to smoke in the car, and I won't be so strong the next time you get into the car. You resist the urge to smoke on a break at work or school, and you will have less of an urge to smoke on break the next time. And so on.  So, in effect, what's driving you nuts right now is going to give you a whole lot of relief very soon.

Hang in there. It will get better.

• Quit Meter

$22,562.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 2

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hell Week is history, buddy!!!

Keep your eyes on the prize!  FREEDOM will be yours as long as you want it more than you want to smoke! 

I'll second what Rose stated... it definitely does get better and easier.  Right now, I know that the minutes and seconds seem to go by at a snail's pace.  I assure you that the passage of time will get back to normal soon enough!!

If you haven't done so already, you ought to check out "My Program" above.  Following through on the exercises there will really help!  Also, distraction is another key to ward off the craves!  I read post after post here and posted often during the early part of my quit.  Actually, I practically lived on the site for the first few months!  I knew that if I were here I wouldn't be smoking!  The interactions with other quitters was helpful for everyone!

Stick close and let us know how we can help to further support you!  We're all rooting for you! 

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,295.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 3

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just a little note to let you know It does get easier..Whyquit.com has some great information on the first two weeks of quitting smoking..They have a graph showing how the cravings peak around day 7.  After that the craves start slowly coming way down again..When it gets slow around here sometimes like it is now go check out there site too for a little extra support and information..Thats what I did and it helped me to understand the withdrawal process better.

It does get better..I promise..
So keep hanging in there.
Your doing great..
You can do this..

Red..
10 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Arrogance aside. Day 5 was fine. Day 8 and day 7 completely terrible. Eventual gave up and went to end yesterday. So is it true that even years after ill still have this "craving"? Want to crack, won't. I just want to know it gets easier lol. Going nuts. Wish I Can forward time. Plus stress never a good time to quit but I had to pick the most stressful time. Lol. Good lesson
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi evilcanofcocacola, 

Thanks for your post and great to hear you are making it through 'Hell Week'!  Keep it up - we're rooting for you!
Vincenza, Health Educator

Reading this thread: