Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Cigarettes: Love versus Hate

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dolly!!!

Congrats!  I looks like you have completed the worst of it... Hell Week!!!  You  ARE doing it!  Take a few moments to post or just write down everything that you have hated about going through this week!  (Or, just refer to these posts )   Then, when those craves start hitting you, just read your Hell Week thoughts and decide if having to start all over again and relive last week would ever be worth that first puff!  I'll give you a clue... it won't be worth it!

Keep reminding yourself that you are a non-smoker now and you are no longer under the control of the demon!  You CAN do this!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,287.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 0

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A couple of ideas. Pick and choose what you like here, as these are only some ideas:

1) Since I used to buy cigarettes by the carton and my quit was not based on how many smokes were left, I had a few packs left over when I quit.  I kept them around for a while, just so there would be no "Should I break down and go to the store now?" drama. ('Cause we all know how this game works: You go back and forth about going to the store, and should it be the expensive convenience store or should you make a real trip to wherever you get your cheap smokes, etc. Then you go to the store to get the smokes, and the urge has passed, but you figure you should buy them anyway since you are there, and since you bought them, you may as well smoke a few...) I figured I was better off just keeping them around for a while. If I wanted to smoke, they were right there. It was up to me to say yes or no. ...From what I've read, this approach is horrible for some and excellent for others. you will have to decide how your mind works.

2)  Create a replacement ritual/reward. Perhaps your reward for a long shift will be a tasty snack from the store instead. (Be careful with this one, because the calories can add up. But I think it's OK to be a bit indulgent with the food at the very beginning of your quit.)

3) I've become aware of the HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) factors that were triggers for smoking. I would also add "Overwhelmed," which can go with the end of a long day. I've found that I need to give myself permission to decompress without a cigarette. This might just be a 5-10 minute escape from my life's obligations. (I was taking those breaks when I smoked, so why not also take them when I don't?) You could carve out some "me time" after the 14 hour shift. Choose a place that you would like to sit quietly and enjoy. Maybe on your porch, in a nearby park, somewhere on your way home that looks scenic or nice, etc. Sit there and deep breathe for at least as long as it would have taken to smoke. 

And keep coming back here to keep us updated. You are doing great so far. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,557.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 0

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Before I quit I had told myself so many times when I am finished this pack I wont buy any more.I would finish them and after a couple hours my mind had convinced me next week will be a better time and I would buy more.The starting and the first few days are the hardest,stick with it and then you can start enjoying the rewards a little more each day.When I finally did stick with my quit date and made it through the first 3 days I swore I was never doing that again so I had to keep my quit.There were some tough days after that too but each day of not smoking made me stronger and made me realize how awfull smoking really is and that it never really helped with anything.You can do this,every time your brain tells you you want one,get busy and change the subject.
N.O.P.E.
Sherry
11 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice, still smoke free and counting. I know I won't smoke tomorrow as I'm working all day but I have a feeling I may get the urge to 'reward' myself on the way home from my 14 hour shift with a packet. It's like it's already built in my brain that I'm going to do it. I've noticed times when I've quit before but habitually bought a pack whilst in the shop. Anyone else ever done/overcame this?
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

Congratulations on getting back on the wagon. You can do this. 

You asked for some pointers, so here are a few:  

1) 72 hours is the magic number. By the 72 hour mark (and maybe before), you should have all the nicotine out of your system. That is a good thing, because the physical cravings will stop at that point. 
2) Drink fruit juice. It helps to keep your blood sugar at normal levels while you are detoxing and it helps to flush the nicotine out faster. You want to flush it out so that the physical cravings will stop. 
3) Drink ice cold water also. Something about it helps with the craves. You might even want to dilute fruit juice with a lot of ice cold water, so that you can keep the juice going in at a steady rate without adding a bunch of calories.
4) Accept the fact that you are going to be crazy for the first three days. Stay busy anyway if you can. I read several chapters of this very helpful ebook when I was detoxing. http://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html
5) You may still feel pretty wacked out after 72 hours. (I know I did.) Don't mistake the weird sensations for cravings. You might be experiencing blood sugar fluctuations and adjusting to higher levels of oxygen in your system. Your body will balance things out, if you give it time. 
 6) Check in here frequently with any questions, craves, or complaints. Odds are, by the time you are done typing, the feeling will have passed. If not, wait for a couple of responses. The feeling will definitely have passed by then.

Good luck. I hope to see you on the other side in a couple of days.  

• Quit Meter

$22,557.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 0

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you, it's been about 27 hours now. I have a chest infection at the moment so I'm not sure how well I'd be doing if my normal breathing wasn't compromised. Feeling great having reached this point AGAIN. Hoping this is the last time I have to go through this. All advice and pointers very welcome. My will power is terrible but I'm hoping determination will get me through this. Thanks again for the support folks Happy non smoker :)
11 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi dollyspringsteen.The first few days are the worst.When I quit I told myself I was not going to go threw that again and that kept me going.
You have done the first few days a few times so you have the strength in you and I hope you succeed.
N.O.P.E.
Sherry
Thanks for the advice. I quit again last night. Using one of those oil filled rechargeable cigarette yokes. Fingers crossed.
11 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dolly,

I can hear your frustration.  It is a very tricky thing, this addiction.  If there is one thing I have learned over the last number of years is there is no single way to quit - we all have to work out our journey, and whatever works for us.

Have you thought about keeping a diary?  It might be useful for you to understand what is going on.  For example, how far do you get in-between relapses.  What time of day?  Where are you (which room?) What triggers the relapse - anger/frustration.sadness?  Can you see any pattern?

A bit of detective work might help you identify a pattern.

Good luck!

Lizzie
  • Quit Meter

$8,857.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 783 Hours: 17

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dolly!!!

Welcome and congrats for making the decision to quit and quit and quit again!  Please consider those "practice runs"!!!    Quitting is one of the hardest things that you will ever do and you have got to make up your mind that you want your freedom  MORE  than you want to smoke!  Yes, it is an addiction and yes, you CAN beat it!  

Ok, YES!!!  You want your freedom, so what now?  Look above and click "MY PROGRAM".  Go through all of the sessions there and use the "TOOLS" above for additional assistance.  On top of that, hang out here whenever you have the time and read through different topics of interest on the Forums!  If you have questions, just ask!  Someone will either provide you with some thoughtful suggestions or direct you to some threads that may help by giving you something to think about!  The more active you are here on the Forums, the easier it will be for you to kick that nico-demon's ash!!! 

We have all started on this journey right where you are now!  Start with the Program and let's get it done!  Yell when you need a hand!

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,287.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 0

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked