Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

What makes SSC so valuable to you?

12 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The small, intimate nature of this site is very helpful to me. To those who are just perusing the site, there may not seem to be enough support. However, there is, because a health educator is always available for one thing. For another, a member will always show up. You just need patience. However, being patient is well worth it, because you'll probably make  friend. I even got to meet Ben, even though he lives hundreds of miles away. Those of us who stay and check in from time to time truly care about the newbies and our ow recovery. We realize that to keep it we have to be actively involved in giving some of it away. I'm not as dependent on the site as much as I once was and don't visit nearly as much, partly because I'm starting a business, and I spend so much time on the Internet that I'm getting burned out. However, that doesn't mean that I don't think about the SSC.
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
75 days Humble WOW!  BIG BIG SMILE FOR YOU! you go girl we are with you all the way.

William - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Seven Days, 9 Hours and 54 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 30 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8834 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $4,017.02.
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great responses everyone. Thank you for replying!

Eyja, there are a lot of resources out there for people who are quitting smoking. She may have to do a bit of research in order to find support that will work for her.  If she is interested in the SSC she could go to her local library or community center where she can access the internet.  While at the community center she could enquire about local resoures; sometimes an information center will have information as well.

Smokers' Helpline Online has online, phone and text messaging support. It is for Canadian residents and the text messaging service is only for Ontario residents. I am not sure if your friend lives in Canada but if not there is likely phone support of some kind where ever she is.

Let us know what she decides to do.  You might want to create a thread just to ask these question to get other suggestions from members.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So here I am, back again after forgetting how to sign in.  Must be memory is part of the quitting process, ha ha.  I forgot a lot of things like noxious habits.  I've been surviving on celery and carrot sticks and cut up apples, long walks, listening to music, prayer and keeping busy doing other things.  The vice-busting diet presents lots of other things to do such as changing habits including eating.  My weight hasn't changed but will work on getting it down a bit,-about ten pounds.  And I have a new doctor.  We're never too old to change if we really want to.  And thanks for keeping my emails coming even though I appeared lost for a time.  SSC site is Very Important.  Keep up the good work.
I'm flying!:)
"And oh ya - we're committed to our quits this time around - no 3 yr 'perfect storm' of circumstances to derail us this time around - right Will? We got the NOPE thing down now; got SSC; Quit buds; addiction knowledge so we won't be caught off guard again! NOPE!"

That's my quit bud for ya! Perfectly said ! 

William - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Six Days, 18 Hours and 4 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 30 Days and 5 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8706 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $3,958.19.
12 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Lainey for the thumbs up!  I always love it when I see you breeze through the board with a whole bunch of new  ideas, some good bumps and support for the newbies!  I agree with Will - your stats are a testament to proving it can be done.  And oh ya - we're committed to our quits this time around - no 3 yr 'perfect storm' of circumstances to derail us this time around - right Will? We got the NOPE thing down now; got SSC; Quit buds; addiction knowledge so we won't be caught off guard again! NOPE!
Thank you Lainey ! We really have our hearts set on making this quit work. Your stats are AMAZING and an inspiration to us all !

William - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Six Days, 4 Hours and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 30 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8686 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $3,948.93.

12 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eyja, a phone support system may be exactly what your friend needs. I know there is a provincial one where I live and I imagine there is a local one of some type where you are as well. It certainly won't hurt, and the Allen Carr book is also a great suggestion, Willisv56! Glad to see the both of you kicking that demon to the curb!
PS: My friend (new co worker actually) who has no computer is computer illiterate - she's 63 and doesn't speak/read/write English well - it is her second language even though she lives here in a predominantly English speaking community.  It appears she has a learning disability and can't seem to pick up the skills required to use it  - she gets so frustrated when she tries; it makes her upset  - so she goes for a smoke!   Oh dear; not working :) 
She does telephone banking though, so I wondered if she could do telephone stop smoking support?  I can check into it in community for her if there isn't a link here.  But thanks for trying to help Will
: )  I'll make sure she gets a copy of Allen Carr too!  
Hello :) Thanks for your insight into what makes SSC valuable Will :) I agree that tackling quitting smoking when our life partners choose not to (for their own reasons) throws us into an unusual social void - for whatever time it takes us to gain confidence in our quits. I'm sure it's different for each of us. No doubt my life has changed in many ways (other than just quitting smoking) since the last day I lit up!  I don't know if I could have kept my resolve to stay quit without support from SSC.  It has been a sanctuary, and allows me a place to vent, distract myself when others around me are smoking,and gives me an opportunity to (hopefully) offer words of encouragement and support to others facing down this demon.   
It is especially nice to find a quit bud (Hi Will :) with parallel circumstances; i.e life partner who still smokes; similar quit date; previous 3 yr quit that got derailed; and a similar desire to make our quits stick for good this time!  It's nice to know someone is on your side; thank you for being here! 
It's so intriguing to think of the different backgrounds that people come from; different locations, ages, time zones, economic standing and lifestyles. It's a geography lesson to google and learn something about other's home states and countries!  Love it!
I am probably stuck here at SSC for a time yet - I've met some wonderful SSC friends who quit when I did but don't have time to post here anymore; they're  confident in their quit already  (YAY! for them!) - but I'm not so sure of myself - my 3 yr (failed) quit still haunts me and I never want 'One' puff to ruin my life again!  Eyja

Reading this thread: