Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

What saved your quit?

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Jim!  Thanks for sharing.
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 76 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Jim==I enjoyed reading these. I agree that not ever wanting to go through hell week again is what keeps from smoking now..
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another bump for all of you newbies!  This is sort of a long post, but definitely worth reading from the beginning!  Please feel free to share with us what saved your quit!!!

For me, it was everyone here!  Wonderful relationships developed here in the past that are ongoing today.  We all felt that if he or she could do this, so could I!!!  So we crushed that last butt and gave ourselves to the group and the journey began!  Night and day, someone was always here reading and learning and posting something new!  Then, if someone happened to log in and scream for help, salvation was at hand!   That's what saved a whole bunch of us quitters!  

Your turn to share!

Have a great smoke-free weekend, everyone!!!  

Jim   
  • Quit Meter

$43,935.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1051 Hours: 11

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Okay, so this is probably a little weird and creepy, but what's saving my quit is the fear of losing touch with anyone I might connect with here this time around.  Last time, I was here for a long time, and had some real relationships that included daily phone conversations.  I am so sad that I lost touch with those people, especially a guy who called himself DuneDad, but whose name I can't even remember, no matter how hard I try.  But we talked every day.  (HA!  He quit the quit first, which sort of gave me persmission to quit the quit, which is why I love him so much, addict that I am!)
To have had those relationships and snuffed them out in an ash tray is extravagent wastefulness.  To this day I miss him a lot and would give anything to have him back in my life.
It's not likely, but should any relationships like that ever develop again, I will so NOT destroy them with something as vile as a cigarette.  That's just wrong.
pete

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 400
Amount Saved: $90.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 15 Mins: 20 Seconds: 29

15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Its nice to know that someone else is quitting too, and enduring the same discomforts as me. Most of my smoker friends don't understand. They offer me cigs and cigars dispite telling them I quit. My sister has been the worst one! They think I just stopped buying smokes and want handouts. I've learned from all you here on SSC we agree that one puff can destroy our hard work and set us back in every way. If the time comes that I relapse, I'm not giving up. Thank you all for the support and I hope I can assist others. Essentially, everyday your help here is keeping me from sinking, and I'm trusting you all with my feelings and need your help.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/8/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 100
Amount Saved: $51.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 37 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Its been a long and gruesome haul but I cvan thank the ssc for all the support I needed to get my stubborn Irish head to accept the fact that I'm a non smoker. Thanks to all may God bless. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 445 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,125 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,783.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 81 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
15 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
More than once just repeating to myself (and the urges)--NOPE--cause I know that one puff means back to a pack & a half a day for me... Not having to worry about matches & cigs and mints to cover the smoke-smell & how I could slip away from meetings to smoke & then cover the smell before I get back---is also a good remender to why to stay quit. The SSC has also proabably been the single biggest inspiration via education & watching the success stories showing that this CAN be done... Deb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Support from family and my "cyber family" Not wanting to set my meter to ZERO. The dogs are not sneezing.. my little wheeze went away. realizing I am more relaxed NOT smoking.. my life before .. revolved around smoking.. if I left the house.. do I have enough in the pack to last until I get home.. Where can I smoke if I am not at home or in my car. do I have enogh smokes until pay day.. 24/7 nicotine was controlling me..... What I need to know about NOT smoking... I learned from my friends at SSC :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/10/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $204.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
15 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A few things saved my quit... Always knowing I was a puff away from a pack a day! My dear friend, KiwiKeith, saved my quit from the other side of the world a couple times! It just plain stinks! Terri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 559 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,385 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,990.04 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 57 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
15 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Coming here daily to read and post and stay connected. Looking at my quit meter and get encouraged to make it further. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,674 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $652.86 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26

Reading this thread: