Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,789 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

the "thing" and patches

18 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mama I'm on the patch also, 21 mg it just takes the edge off. But when I get a real crave I chew a 2mg nicorette gum and drink a lot of water. Today was a 2 pieces of gum day it was bad but I am ok now. keep up the courage stay strong Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 161 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, i have been working so hard at being positive and hopefull, but i need to admit to you guys that I am still having smoking desires, even on this patch. I am really tired of asking "is this and that normal" and you guys are probly tired of me asking it so I'm not asking that. I'm just saying that even with the patch, I still sometimes want to smoke. It's really a lot easier than the cold turkey was, the nicodemon is mellower, but i think the patch alerts him of the possibility of his mortality in me. I think the patch really just "takes the edge off" of it. Anyways, that said, I am still doing better than I was. Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 197 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$75,028.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6531 Hours: 22

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had craves when I was wearing the patch. The craves were worse for me on the first day and on the day that I put a step down patch on on accident. I am glad they are working for you. They work wonders for a lot of people. They gave me a boost of confidence aided me in overcoming my fear. Don't be discouraged if you have a crave, just use your coping mechanisms. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,259 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 3

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have used the patch before and am now too... I do well on them. Not any cravings. When I want one, it isn't physical, I feel it emotionally... a big difference. I feel it that way. Just my 2 cents [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 85 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Mama. Don't tire of asking. That's the easiest way for you to learn. We don't get tired of hearing you (or anyone) ask. I have no NRT experience, but here goes my take on it anyway. You already know all this, but sometimes hearing it in other words helps. Craves are the result of lower than a normal nicotine level. The patch helps by providing a constant flow of nicotine, but at a lower level than what you had when you smoked. So you may experience some craves. Some people do, some people don't. The idea between the different levels is that you will maintain a level until it becomes the new "normal" nicotine serum level in your blood. Then you step down, lowering the level again. You may experience more craves again. Repeat for all the levels. The only way you can use an NRT and guarantee no craves is to use enough of it that you do not reduce the nicotine level in you. But that defeats the purpose because the only thing you've accomplished is changing the delivery system. You stay addicted. So, yes, the patch is only taking the edge off. You still have to go through withdrawls. One person compared quitting to removing a bandage. Cold turkey ripped it off in one motion, NRT pulled it off slowly. Choose your misery. :) Don't worry about thoughts and things. You're quitting, that's what counts. ;) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 395 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,919 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1501 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 344 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mama, NRT products only ever take the edge off the cravings, so you will still get smoking desires but not anywhere near as strong as they would have been. I'm about to start my 4th week nicotine free after almost 3 months on gum, lozenges, microtabs and inhalators but I am still on 1 Zyban a day which I take in the mornings. Hey, it's got me so far so I'm not knocking it! Shevie likens it to pulling a plaster off slowly or quickly - a good analogy - if you pull the plaster off very slowly you hardly notice! You're doing great, 5 days now! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,974 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �245 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$532,022.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5389 Hours: 7

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mama, We are always here to listen. Do whatever works for you! if you have a craving then use those coping mechanisms and distract yourself. We will always be here for support and will never retire :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: