Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

One man's opinion on "the quit meter"

18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, I would like to say respectfully to you that until are in the situation where you are faced with the decision to reset your meter or not (and I hope you never are) then I respectfully have to say to you that you have no idea how hard of a decision that is to make! It's a nice thought to say "just don't slip" but if you do, then what? It's easy to say that you will reset it... but would you, REALLY??? [quote] Clearly there's more to this if setting back the meter is somehow enough to stop someone from re-engaging the quit. That's just an excuse. [/quote] Imagine you just smoked. You posted about it and everyone either hugged you or yelled at you or kicked you while you were down or offered advice or a combination of all of the above. You're feeling REALLY down on yourself for doing something that you swore you'd never do again. You're looking at all of your old posts that you made in support to people and thinking that you're a hypocrite because you did exactly what you told other people not to do. Something in your planning failed... either you DIDN'T plan, or if you did and your plan was to come here and post and wait for responses, or read on the site, or wait 10 minutes or whatever your plan was... you didn't do it. Then, add to that, people who looked up to you on the site are shocked, and some are posting "what's the use in even trying? Is this even possible?" And you feel like you've let EVERYONE down... not least of which is you! Your ego is bruised, your moral is low and your momentum to keep going is completely shot! You also wonder if you will EVER be able to quit successfully. You doubt your motivation, your reasons, your will-power and start to fear that you'll never be able to quit! You start to think, "am I just wasting my time here? Is this really possible for ME?!?! I mean, I know that others can do it, but can I REALLY do this?" You're depressed, feeling sad and in despair because you just ruined your quit! Plus, you now have nicotine BACK in your system and the junkie is SCREAMING at you! OK, now, add to all of this, you have to make a decision as to whether or not you will reset your meter. And you're telling me that, under these circumstances, the thought to just go back to smoking isn't going to cross your m
Rob, I completely see your point about resetting the meter being the most honest way. I can sleep at night knowing that every single one of the days on my meter is completely and 100% smoke free and I am very proud of that. After previous screw ups, I didn't have that sense of pride because I knew that my meter was a lie. However, here's a story for you that might change your mind... a wonderful member here recently (maybe a month ago?) had a "slip" after more than a year quit. She didn't go back to smoking. She didn't smoke more than 1. She went right back to her quit and as far as I know, hasn't smoked since. If you were her, you're telling me that you would reset your meter? After a YEAR?!?!? Come on now! I just don't think so! You might say that if you were to smoke 1 cigarette, no matter how much time has past, that you would be right back to a pack a day, but it does happen, on rare occasions, that a person smokes one and then goes right back to their quits. So, if you were to smoke one cigarette after more than a year's time, you would reset your meter? I completely respect where you are coming from. I agree with you on the tough love aspect. I'm a firm believer in it myself. I dish it out, and I can honestly say that I got at least as much as I'd given out, if not more, from everyone here when I made my mistakes, and I believe that the tough love was very important to getting me back on track after my smoke. I also think it's an important tool in making sure that people don't think that it's OK to smoke. I think sometimes, people see others who have a slip and they see how much attention that person got and all the hugs and everything that it makes them want to "slip" so they can get that attention too... especially if they had a lot of support from family or friends in the beggining, but not as much later on and that person was craving some attention. I totally agree that that situation can be very damaging to the site as a whole. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 154 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,871 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $636.02 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
Christine, I like your idea of adding "# of slips" but what may be a slip to one might not be a slip to someone else and we are STILL going to have this issue. For instance, if a person smokes one and goes right back to their quit, I don't think there's anyone here who would say that's not a simple mistake... some call it a slip, some won't but it's definitely not a relapse. However, let's say someone smokes one every weekend. Is that a slip every weekend? So could someone just add 1 to the number of slips each weekend and still call themselves quit? What about if someone smokes 3 packs in one weekend and then goes back to their quit and doesn't do it again? You have to admit that these are far far far from insignificant slips. So, I see Rob's point, but I think that there are always exceptions to the rule and more importantly, it's a personal decision that each one of us has to make. I do believe that there are some times when a person should always set back their meters and that's what it goes from a simple lapse of judgement to smoking many, but that's just my opinion and I would never force it on anyone. Rob, the fact that there's not a standard or an accepted norm is what makes this a difficult and touchy subject, but I also think that it's what makes the site work so well! If everyone who had a slip had to reset their meter and I slipped but didn't want to, I could see myself leaving the site and going to another one or not getting support here anymore and then because I wasn't getting the support, go back to smoking eventually. I could see many people doing that, so that's why I love the fact that there isn't a steadfast rule about this subject. It is, however, a fun topic to discuss and I hope you don't feel like we're ganging up on you or trying to make you feel like you're wrong. I've been re-reading through these posts and I realized that I think you might get that impression, and I hope that you don't. At least I don't feel that way... I'm simply conveying my views and enjoying reading yours. So, I hope you don't feel picked on because I don't think that any of us mean to do that. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 155 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,884 [B]Amount
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said, Stewart. I like the advice about the "stop smoking trinkets". Sounds like our quits have some commonalities. You spent six years thinking about quitting, I spent two. We both had many failed "two-hour quits", cut-backs, soul searching, and planning. You quit at 11:00 on an Sunday night, I snuffed out my last one at 10:20 on a Sunday night. Our wives have never smoked. I see you joined the SSC in November of 2004, so I'm assuming you've been quit for around 16 months. This is encouraging to me. Thanks. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 305 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,108 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1159 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d69/agildog/thumbsup.jpg[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 305 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,109 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1159 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
If you have a 4.0 GPA and cheat on one exam, should that set your GPA to 0? Does it negate [u]all[/u] the hard work you've done up to that point? If you're climbing Mt. Everest, you're 2/3 of the way to the top and you slip; do you go back to the bottom and start over? The quit meter is a very personal thing, much like clothes and hair color. It's up to the individual how it should be handled and is nobody else's business. Some people do quite well with negative incentives, others can't handle them and crumble. One member here did slip, set the meter to 0 because of it, and then found the 0 very depressing to see. That member then set it back to where it was, minus a day I think, and is now doing quite well. Bottom line here is quitting smoking. How you do it, track it, or announce it is irrelevent. If one has to go through a period of 1/2 a cig a month for a while, fine. Even if it stays that way forever, that's much better than 20+ a day and they should not be derided for it. If they choose to ignore slips on their quit meter, more power to them. Quitting this addiction is a real b****h for some people and they should have the freedom to do it in their own way without being made to feel inferior because they can't do it the "preferred" way. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 304 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,093 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1155.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
OK, Lady, I agree with you on the ethical issue with the GPA analogy, but I stand firm on Mt. Everest. (Nice play on words, don't you think? :)) Christine's boiled the subject down to it's essence in her first paragraph. Let's not worry so much about how people present themselves and focus on keeping them quit. Let's win the war! :eg: Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 304 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,094 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1155.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't care what your trinket says. On one side mine says 3 days. On the other side it says "sensitivity". I agree with Ron, perhaps my error was posting in the wrong spot. All I know that is if you fall off your soapbox, I'll be there to put the bandages on.
  • Quit Meter

$330,372.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 7

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Buttterfly Swimmer. I have reset my meter and today I'm not liking it one bit. The Nicodemon is trying to take a kick at me using the excuse, - "Well what does 2 days on your meter mean. If you can blow 107 days, you can certainly blow 2 days." It's seems as though I don't have anywhere to fit in. March 27 isn't looking all that special to me. I quit back in December. Yes I made a conscious decision to smoke on the weekend, but I really want to quit. I remember back on my "real" Day 1,2,3,4...I felt as though there was no way I was going to make it to the Beach. I am kind of feeling that way today.As much as days 1 & 2 were not too bad, day 3 is turning out to be a little difficult. There is not much appeal to just setting it back 3 days or is there. I just don't know anymore. I'm a little confused about how to look at it. Old "NIC" loves confusion. It's a choice - ugh. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 63 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $23 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$330,372.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 7

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think about six years passed between the time I started thinking about not smoking to the day I actually stopped. In between I had some failed two-hour quits, some cut back programs and some intense internal bargaining. Then in the year leading up to my quit my planning intensified and began to took shape. I set a few small goals and stuck to them. Then when I was ready I said this is the day I will quit and finished the last one at 11:00 on a Sunday night. See, I�ve always thought�once a smoker always a smoker. I will always consider myself a smoker. If a scene in a movie has a smoker I will always react different them my wife who never smoked. That�s just the way it is�once the valves open you can never shut it off completely. So my goal has always been to try to put at least six decades between my last smoke and my next one and so far so good. So if your out there and you hit a rough patch maybe you smoke once, or for a week, a month, a year keep in mind it�s a life long process and not one defined by a quit meter or how many tries it takes. Because that one you had at the wedding won�t mean anything in 10 years as long as you steal yourself, reexamine your plan, make no excuses and move forward. Don�t get hung up on stop smoking trinkets, stay strong and never give up.
  • Quit Meter

$90,824.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 6

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This thread is locked.