Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

One man's opinion on "the quit meter"

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob 47 Thanks for bringing so much of your honesty here. I totally get what you say about [quote] we don't "know" each other, say anything about "love" and my tough love stance seems questionable at best. Why shouldn't people also think of me as arrogant, insensitive, lacking in compassion, standing on a soapbox or pedastal? I get it. I'm sorry people here feel this way because it's not the person I am, but why shouldn't you react that way? You don't know me. I get it. And none of us, especially in these early stages, are acting like we normally might act. [/quote] We truly do not know any of us together here in this virtual community. Keeping Quit. That is my primary focus here and there are for me a zillion triggers here in this little virtual community. I hope you keep posting here and that you keep letting us know what is going on with you. I value your input! I value your comments and I value your point of view. Stay strong Keep QUIT! Ciao Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 871 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $322.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
Rob47 Thanks for your post today at 11:25 and for really spelling out how deadly serious you take quitting! I really appreciate that you have said that you are have put your emotions into this. It is only by putting our emotions into this quit that we will make it our last quit. I totally identify with your description of the three month quit that was really a quit with a lot of puffs. I totally did that as I simply was too afraid to tell myself that I had lost the battle and was smoking again. This quitting thing is totally challenging and it is so difficult that people (myself that is the people I speak of) try and try they work at it and they hedge around it and they brush up against it, and I simply was not willing to take the bull by the horns and speak plainly and truthfully to myself. What I said was that if I did not stop and stop completely, no NTR, no pipes, no cigars, no smoke period, at all I would die. I would be responsible for taking my own life. I would be committing suicide. I have been able to stay in my resolve to stay quit and to be very firm with myself, having told myself my truth about what I as doing to myself. Thanks for posting. Thanks for telling the truth about how serious this quit is for you. Hope you are doing well today and that the renovations are smooth as plaster dust on newly sanded wood floors. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 713 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $262.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
This is an amazing and so volotile topic. I love it gets my dopamine going because I am smiling all the time. AND I hope that I can resist the temptation whenever the temptation happens. I say this knowing the little boy who was told to resist temptation and I would still stick my finger into the icing on the cake. I also know from reading and re-reading this thread, that if I did smoke I would be smoking forever. I have worked at this from so many angles and so many different methods to quit and nothing has worked. So I get to where I am here working it out on day at a time and one moment at a time. Who would have ever thougt that dealing with something the slow painful way might actually work. I am totally with you ROB47 I never want to take the chance. no matter 3 years 3 days or months I hope that I will be able to resit and absolutely not take the chance. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 730 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
Absolutely with you gal! The life that happens here is enriching and no smoking, no bit of tobacco smoldering in paper can come near matching the life that goes on here. Love the life! Thanks Bob for bringing this forward! You and your image of slipping has me laughing my &s% off no matter where I see it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 696 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
Bob I posted this on a Duffis thread and I thought that you might pick it up here. Your bathroom must look very smart. And I am just across the lake there has been little but an overwhelming grey for days here. And it's the stuff in he middle that I like the corned beef in the rueben and the cherries in the pie. Rob47 Withoutyour imagery today I probably would be as grey as the sky. Thanks for the conversation and the humour. I am off to swim and clear another bit of guck off my lungs. Stay Strong Stay Quit Phillip Evil Grin :eg: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 697 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
Just to get in my two bits. Each quitter is individual. Each person has their own reasons for quitting just as each person has their own reasons fo starting to smoke in the first place. Each person will have their way of "doing it". There really is not righ and no wrong here, only quit or not quit. There are some that are on patches or inhalers or gum, there are hard candy, soft candy, spearmint mentos, the whole gammut. They all (many of them, well some of them) filter through this site. There are those that try, there are those that do, there are those that pray and those that wish. The most important thing for me is that I stop smoking. Me, not them, not that group over there. We each tread in very dangerous territory if we compare, attach, depend on anothers quit to maintain our own. The common ground that binds us togeter is that we all want to stop smoking. I say that we need to extend a hand to those that are struggling, those that are finding their way. It is not my place to judge them on whether they are quit for a day a week a year. It is not my place to judge them if they stumble, (slip) fall. My hand is out to anyone who can actually get past the stumble and get back up and get back on the quit wagon. There are very few that actually do this and the fact that those quitters who fall off totally dissappear saddens me because they are the ones that will be lost to any variety of lung, coronary, or vascular disease. Doesn't matter to me what someone elses quit meter says, it matters to me what mine says. Doesn't matter to me that someone has been secretly smoking and they come back and say help me stop, I will extend my hand. I can not drive past an accident on the road and not check to see if I can help. This is one of the beautiful aspects of this site is that there are a lot of people of good intention a lot of people willing to extend a hand. Like I said in an earlier post today. Every word, every letter typed, every moment spent on this site is energy that is going into a quit. Standing strong together. Life happens here. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 695 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B
18 years ago 0 415 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree Rob. I know that it's been said that it is up to the person but who are you kidding. You smoked...therefore you have not been smokefree for those days. I think it's all part of responsiblity and stuff like that!! I would set mine back as well! Good discussion! The Chicken [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 396 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $146.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very thought provoking discussion here...And a lot of valid points of view from both sides and seemingly the middle... One more analogy for ya: If a recovering alcoholic is in the program for 3 years and drinks one beer, did he lose his sobriety? (Who gets drunk on one beer?) Just a thought... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,498 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $183.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin... Set your meter to your original date minus 3 days or something.. if it helps you keep track.. and feel better.. really... you are back on the horse and you quit months ago.. you had a bad slip... but you really cleared your lungs and improved your heart and breathing and the such... months ago... It is kind of ridiculous isn't it... you didn't start this 3 days ago... I am frustrated and confused too... change it... do it for the quit ... if it keeps you stay quit and makes you feel less confused.. Christine they need to call that part: DAys Quit
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As far as I can see.. some people reset and some people don't. Some strongly refuse to set them back for a simple slip and others strongly must set them back. And it should be to each his/her own. We shouldn't be putting anyone down for making their own decision. It really isn't anyone else's business. It urks me to see some people trying to make others feel bad about their decision. [color=Red]Is that going to make them have a better quit ?[/color] We are all different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.. [color=Red]We are here to help each other quit somoking and to give support.. [/color]not to try to force our own way of thinging on someone else. We can always add an extra line to the quit meter that says: [color=Red]# of slips :[/color] that would allow the days meter to stay unchanged and reflect slips as well. Just an idea.. Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,473 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $203 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26

This thread is locked.

Reading this thread: