Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

How?s she goin? b?ys?

13 years ago 0 168 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I bet you're right, Lainey. Well, we'll see. I'm going out for dinner tonight and I'm sure I'll have a drink. If I get a really crippling craving, then I know that's it for sure. But, gosh, I can't give everything up all at once, hahaha!
13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great job Ready2Quit! Although it was in all likely hood, the drinks that set off that crave, you did make it through with flying colors. Thats great!
Here's a tip for next time, make sure you keep the drinks to a minimum, ( it helps to wait until you feel much stronger in your quit!)  but also drink something new that you've never had before. It won't be associated with smoking and it will be less likely to cause major craves. Remember too, though, that when we drink, we let down our guard and it can be so easy to give in.
Meanwhile, congrats on surviving that challenge. Keep on saying NOPE!
I made it through my first weekend! :)

Sunday night was VERY hard, however. I had a friend over (who is also quitting) and a few drinks. If there had been ANYONE present with a cigarette, I would have taken one.Luckily, there wasn't. I waited and waited for the craving to fade but it wouldn't so I walked to the store and bought an Oreo ice cream sandwich, Reese's peanut butter cups, Cadbury mini-eggs, Pringles salt and vinegar chips, etc, etc, etc. And I stuffed myself just to get through the craving. But I did it!

I had to walk to work this morning (1 hour, in -13 degrees Celcius) to attempt to make up for it, though, hahaha.

But, yay, still going!

I'm now up to $101 in savings and 15 hours of added life expectancy! 
13 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ready, hope you had a great weekend.  Who the heck am I kidding!!!  I hope you made it through the weekend strong.  That is really what we need to focus on!
13 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ready,

Congrats on your quit!

I've never smoked with the intention of losing weight, and during my past quits I was never worried about gaining any. I simply never concerned myself with it and chalked things up to a naturally high metabolism. And lots of physical labor...warehouses...home remodeling...etc. Anyway...

This time, I am concerned, mostly because my boyfriend is a VERY visual guy and I have a sit-down job. I wouldn't say he's shallow; that's just who he is. Well, here's some text copied directly from an e-mail I sent him yesterday:

"Honestly, I'm not all that worried about gaining a few pounds. I would MUCH rather be slightly overweight and healthy, happy, and focused than in the God-awful, malnourished state I've been in off-and-on for 5-6 years now.  If my cravings for food are any indication of what I've done to myself, it's a problem...and I'll be lucky if I didn't slightly digest any vital structures."

I truly believe that nearly everyone has their own, naturally ideal weight. I've been smoking since I was 16, so I don't know what mine is...but whatever it is, I'm going to accept it. With healthy eating habits and exercise, of course. :)

If people can't or won't accept a healthier version of me, then they are a hazard to my health, and are therefore NOT WORTH MY TIME!

So far, my sweetie has been extremely supportive. I hope that you, too, will choose to keep people in your life who support a healthier, happier you!
13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember a few people used to take walks instead of smoke breaks. That always seemed like a good idea to me...of course not so much if there are snow drifts around the building ; )

Glad it's getting easier, ready. Mint toothpicks sound yummy. I always check that I have a bottle of water when I leave the house now 
Menjy - I've only done that once this quit. A coworker was having an especially stressful day so we went outside. I brought my toothpick. It was hard - I zoned out for a bit of the conversation, just talking to myself, "No, no, no, I don't want one..." etc., hahaha.

Well, I'm still doing well! It seems to be getting easier and easier.  
13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Ready2quit, on hanging tough so far.

Smoking breaks is one thing I used to really miss - the cameraderie, and just taking five minutes away from work to chat with colleagues. Well, what I did was to carry on taking the occasional smoking break. I'd just grab a can of grapefruit juice and sip away at it, chatting to the smokers as they fed their addiction.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I felt that this helped dispell some feelings that I was somehow "missing something" through not smoking.

13 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Going in to day 4 Ready2quit.  Rock on wit yo bad self! 

I had to chuckle at your panic over losing your mint toothpicks.  I had a short plastic straw I turned into a "cigarette"  that I used and I lost it one day at work.  It must be what Linus feels when Lucy takes his blanket.  LOL

Keep up the great quit!
I'm still going strong.

Last night was bizarre. I felt exhausted and went to sleep on the couch at around 7:30 p.m. (on a Friday night, hahaha!). I woke up around 10 p.m. and stayed up for 30-45 minutes just watching television. I fell asleep again. I woke up several more times throughout the night but didn't turn around to check the clock. And I woke up this morning for good at 6 a.m. I don't feel tired at all, just... mentally exhausted, hahaha.

I think I may have successfully transferred the, "OMG, GIMME!!!" psychological part of my addiction from cigarettes to mint toothpicks. I felt terrified and overwhelmed yesterday when I couldn't find them. I hope it's true. I can deal with that months from now, who cares. And it could make these coming weeks easier.

Reading this thread: