Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,697 Members

Please welcome our newest members: LLYKA, aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH, Sav

4 1/2 days to go

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kev, I bumped this for you and anyone else struggling: Coping with Cravings / The Serenity Prayer for Smokers Pat :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,098 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1078 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$121,555.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 968 Hours: 3

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there Kev, I've not posted to your thread in a few days, but I have been following your progress. You are really having a tough time, aren't you? Why is that? My sense is that your reason is fear. Afraid of finally quitting... Nobody was more afraid than me (ok, maybe there were some, but they are still smoking) since I smoked since the age of 15 or so and smoked for 42+ years. I didn't (and still don't) know myself as a non-smoker. Many, including me, have posted about quitting being like giving up "my best friend" or "my lover", and it's true. But when you give up a real best friend or a lover, your heart hurts for a while and then it starts to mend. Nobody has really died of a "Broken Heart". Cigarettes will kill you. Would your best friend do that? Smoking stinks! Is that how you want a lover to smell? When you give up smoking, your body will start to mend. I was amazed at how my life was dictated by smokes. Subconciously, I was always thinking about it. "get up early and have a smoke before sweetheart comes downstairs"; "finish this project and you can have a smoke"; "get the kids in for a nap and have a smoke"; "a non-smoking restaurant? No WAY"; "better empty the car ashtray so you can fill it up again in __days"; "the flight to ___ will be how long? I won't be able to smoke for ___hours!"; "do I have enough cigarettes for the drive?"; "hey, dont' give me dirty looks, it's my right to smoke if I want to"; do I have enough smokes for the evening, or do I need to get more? do I have enough cash, or do I need to stop at the ATM for the ___time this week"? "should I buy one pack, or two?" My point is that you don't realize how much smoking rules your life until you no longer smoke. This is the freedom! (Hey friends, I got it!! I finally GOT IT!!) Will you always think about smoking? Probably, at least occasionally ...it sure seems that way from those who have been quit for a long time. Will you miss it? I don't think so, at least, not after a while. So Kevin, you have done your homework. You have admitted (I think) that you are an addict like the rest of us. You found this site and are posting and reading. You've tried and failed, and tried again. You've identified your triggers, and what you wi
17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JDK, You have some really amazing people here offering you great advice and encouragement. Now it's up to you. Making the unwavering committment to yourself to quit is # 1. You will make this your last quit with the knowledge that replaces all your fears, making you realize you are not giving anything up except the addictive smoke that's harming or even killing you. Quit one second, one minute one craving at a time and don't look too far ahead. NEVER LOOK BACK. The only things behind you are things you cannot change so accept the past an look at the future. The future can be written in any way you want it to be! :) :8|: :) Being positive made my quit a joy and not a dreaded chore. It's still work, but time flies when you're having fun. Got your message about being positive...thank you, I look forward to your positive party...you will be amazed by how many people here will show up! When I feel anything but positive, I get out my big old godzilla hammer (thank goodness it's multi purpose and plastic because I use it daily) and give myself a couple whacks over the head until I'm heading in the right direction again. Pat I quit trying and I stopped dying [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,097 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1078 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$121,555.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 968 Hours: 3

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 232 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kev, Go for it! You can't imagine how many people who are right now rooting for you, you can't see us but we're all sitting on the sidelines cheering you on. You are not alone, and all you have to do is give a shout-out, and someone will respond. Every single one of us has had to do that. Hell week can be a screamer, literally, but ask anyone who has been through it, IT GETS BETTER! There is peace and freedom waiting for you on the other side of this addiction, and once you get a taste of it, your quit will grow stronger and stronger. Quit. Breathe. Live. Legend [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 296 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 106 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kev, A quick pop in since its 4:30 AM. I woke up and going right back to bed. I think your list is great. I guess it boils down to you have to be prepared for a white-knuckle week. Depression level feelings, your brain screaming "Smoke!" and you screaming "No!" It's that damn physical withdrawal. I had to go through it even though I'm taking chantix. I was a mess for about 5 lousy days. The difference this time was I was still smoking (a very strange experience, that I didn't fully understand until I quit smoking), so when I did quit, I just had to deal with the major psychological cravings, thoughts and habits instead of both at the same time. And that's what got me through this time. Man, I am a MAJOR, LONG TERM nicotine addict! But I'm almost 4 days clean. And I really think this is finally it for good and forever! Anyway, didn't mean to go on about me, my point was, if you're prepared for a REALLY lousy, weird, disorienting week where smoking's not an option, you can get through this. And just think about how good you'll feel about your accomplishment on the other side. I keep thinking about how XX%, the vast majority of people DON'T smoke, so why in the heck can't I NOT smoke too!!! Interesting comments on the fear of emotion. I'm a pretty emotional, feeling male, so I've never had to deal with that. But when I think of arguing, crying or being angry sometimes, well, that's just being human. "Icy cool", I'm not sure, but it sound less positive than having emotions. Just food for thought. Anyway, back to bed. I wish I could help you more, Kev. But I'll be here! Mike [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 84 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kev Good to hear you sounding so positive... Like the sunflower idea I will call one of my tomatoes Kevin!!! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 250 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,505 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1312.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Almost forgot to add. I've named my sunflowers after all the people here who have helped me and given me good advice. They're only 1 week old but 'lainey' is already showing signs of popping out of the ground. The rest are still thinking about it. But the glorious sunshine is helping. :) I've named one after me 'JDK' as a constant reminder to keep growing. I'll take a photo at quit day 21. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All, Well after reading all the above posts. I decided a reality check was in order. The first thing I did was go back to the workbook. I still kept my smokers journal and revisited that too. Between the four of you and the above, you caused me to have a long hard think last night and was even thinking about the posts in my dreams. This morning (its 7am and I have been up since 5am), I have been hard at researching everything. I've had a massive lightbulb moment and my mindset has completely changed as a result. The end result is thus : 1) Today WILL be my last day as a smoker. 2) Monday will be an ultra stressful day. But it will be the same stress with or without the cigarettes. I choose WITHOUT. 3) There is NO shame in getting help. 4) Every day I do not smoke is a majorly successful day. Thus I should reward myself for each day I succeed in quitting. 5) I will not resort to smoking before posting on the SSC. 6) I will not resort to smoking full stop. Guys, please feel free to add more to it. I am printing out 8 copies of the above. I will be reading it back to myself often. You'll notice that there is a difference in this post to any other I have made. There is no 'should', 'could', 'maybe' and especially no 'I hope' in here (thanks Changing). More reasons for quitting, new (real) reasons why I smoked : I said I had been researching and identified another basic trigger which I had not thought about, until yesterday. Fear of emotion. Being of the male variety, I have used smoking as an excuse to take myself away from the situation whenever a particular emotion appears. This is why I always seem icy cool. I've worked out now that all I am doing is denying myself the right to an emotion full stop. This is the reason why I never argue with anyone, cry or get really really angry. Not any more, there will me a new 3 dimensional Kev in town from Monday. Mod fear - Sounds stupid but it is totally true. I've been happily posting under the mod radar for a couple of weeks. Maybe the best way to describe it is the difference between chatting to your work colleagues and then being brought into the office to speak to your manager. It's not a bad thing btw, because it was Danielle who made me realise that I had to deeply revisit
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Kevin. Just checking in with you. I hope you know that each of your brief attempts so far are in effect "practice". Do your homework - workbook here, keep a journal of your thoughts and feelings, Alan Carr book, there's even a good website I can give you if I catch you on IM. (Can't name a website in a post - violates the site rules) The key is that you need to want to quit more than you want to smoke. And to get there, you need to educate yourself. You can do it and there will be people here to cheer you on! - Freemom :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 204 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $65.28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$119,618.17

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6405 Hours: 12

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 59

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JDK, See how the number of cigarettes is climbing? Stop this slip from becoming a relapse. Take your quit diary, identify your triggers and find ways around them. Learn from this experience and get back to your quit. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: