Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

We have given up!!

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, I know its only the beginning, and it is very hard, today is the third day, but what really keeps me motivated, and this is what i can not push to the back of my mind, is the health of my husband, myself and ultimately our future children. I have been crazy thinking for this long & ignoring all the government health warnings that we are not taking risks...Its sad that it takes a tragedy for me to realise the health impact as individuals, but when you smoke its like my head has been in a cloud of smoke, and ignoring all the warning signals!!!!
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It has taken 13 years and many many times of me telling myself, that on Monday morning, I will not need to smoke, and I dont need to take cigarettes with me, and I can do it, but to continually fail. What has finally done it for me to realise smoking is really not worth it. A family friend of my husband, has been diagnosed with cancer. And it is this "c" word that scares me more than any other illness around. I am young, and I want to be able to start a family in the next couple of years, and I want both my husband and I to be able to play with the kids without feeling tired/exhausted, and I want to be able to drive my car, without having the stench of stale smoke lingering around and being embarressed when friends are in the car and they comment on the smell. I want to be able to spend the $70 a week that I had spent on cigarettes on a new pair of shoes or clothes (my husband has other ideas). ;)
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mel: Welcome! You have SUCH a good attitude -- that is more than half the battle, I'm convinced. When the tough moments come, reread what you just wrote. Or better yet, print it out for yourself. You know as well as the rest of us how easy it is to focus on the wrong things when the going gets tough. We're here for you. I hope you've worked the program tools on the left of the screen. You'll find that very helpful. Go get 'em! Keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,755 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $744 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mel, I think it's great that both you are your husband are ready to give up this addiction. I don't think we realize how badly we smell until we are not smoking. I work in an area where I come into contact with College Students all day long. No that I have my sense of smell back....either they stink of smoke and smell like an ashtray or I try and play "NAME THAT PERFUME OR COLOGNE".....This is just one of the small benefits of quitting. Your sense of smell improves greatly, and it's nausiating that we used to smell like an old ashtray...YUCK. Read lot's here in the SSC, and post often. There is alot of great support here! Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,406 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $346.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi mel welcome to the SSC this is a great decision you have made congrats well done on 3 days keep up the good work you will get lots os support here lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,169 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �308 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
  • Quit Meter

$113,645.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6497 Hours: 21

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mel - I remember being exactly where you were. I was so sick and tired of cigarettes controlling my life. I was tired of the way my house smelled, the way my car smelled and the way I smelled. I was tired of how it impacted my relationships and how I started to avoid activities so I could smoke. Every year....my addiction got worse and worse. It is really scary when we decide to quit...but we do it one day at a time. Let your hubby know that rewards are a VERY important part of the quit. When you quit, you should use the money to buy something that makes you happy (some people buy something daily or weekly while others save for something special) Use the tools offered on this site, keep on posting and come on in to join us. Welcome to SCC. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 120 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,416 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $600 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Mel. And good for you, deciding to quit. I've tried several times as well, always going for that elusive quit on a Monday morning. And it never materialized. Its unbelievable how we choose to ignore the warning signs. I knew one smoker who actually used to cut the warning right off the package before she'd open it. The things we do...or did! Good luck to you, and post often, it really helps. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mel, You determination is wonderful and we welcome you to the best choice you will ever make :) You are going to do this and we can help. Take the program step by step and start preparing. Keeping up to date and prepared can help you push through those difficult times :) Call on us often and let us be there for you :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: