Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,784 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA, RBORBON

Hello, I am quitting smoking

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Well I have made a decision to quit smoking finally! I am at a high risk for breast cancer (runs in the family), and I have had bronchular asthma all my life, and recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. The doctors have been telling me to quit, and I just wasn't ready, but now I am...My roommate is also quitting, so I need all the support from people out there who have quit! I am looking forward to living a healthier and happier life! The only problem I think I might face, is at work because everyone smokes there! I hope you all will be here ready to give some support, because I probably will be needing it! Thanks [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi! I was just thinking about what I am going to do instead of smoking on those breaks,everyone I work with smokes. I am going to have a glass of orange juice and a sugar free hard candy that I will carry in my pockets where my pack of smokes used to be. I was able to change my work schedule and hope this will help. Happy New Year ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kim - Good luck and welcome. I, too, am quitting for health reasons. I'm a 32+ year, 2 pack-a-day FORMER smoker. One week down and many, many more to go... Here's the deal, you help us and we'll help you. Happy 2007! -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 177 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$358,052.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9160 Hours: 22

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kim: Great choice you've made and you know that, don't you? Here's my advice for being around smokers. I actually don't mind too much because I've learned to watch them with a completely new (non-smoker) eye, not in criticism, God knows I feel for them, I know they all really envy those of us who have quit and left them on board the rapidly sinking ship. But if you step back and really watch a smoker while they're smoking, you'll see that, well, it ain't pretty. And there's sort of a panicky feel to it, not an enjoyment. And chances are, you're watching them outside in a freezing rain to really top off that special smoking moment. Frankly, when I see a smoker now (my husband included), it doesn't tempt me. It REMINDS me of my many, many reasons to remain a non-smoker. And it reinforces that I have left behind a very disgusting and dangerous addiction. Hurray! Try it -- step outside of your old, comfortable smoking self and watch with new eyes. I think you'll be amazed. Go get 'em, girl and keep the faith! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,423 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $680 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kim, You really can quit smoking for good. It's not going to be easy but this site and the people here are tops. What makes you ready now? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 34 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kim - Lots of support here. Start with the tools to the left of this screen. There are lots of new skills to learn to help you along this journey. Read often and post often...there will always be someone here to help you along the way. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 112 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,252 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $560 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kim, I'm glad you say that you feel ready to quit. This is what we all need to have in order to successfully stop smoking. Concentrate your efforts on the first two weeks - and then off you go!!! We'll be here to help you, Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 153 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,301 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �459 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kim, Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on making it a team effort to kick the habit! It's great to see your both quitting together but remember your quit is your own and must protect it at all costs! Please start working through our online quit program. Preparation and education ourselves on the quit process are essential. Also be sure to start reading through our forums. They are full of advice from quitters that have gone before you. If you ever need help just holler. A post with help in the title will get you a quick reply. If you feel you would benefit from 1-1 interaction, we have an instant messenger that will connect you with the other members of our site. Once you've planned how you'll tackle cravings and triggers such as stress and boredome, you'll need to start dreaming up a reward system. The benefits of quitting are wonderful but giving ourselves something tangible and immediate keeps us motivated and helps to lift our moods. You've got some great motivators to keep your quit. A workplace of smokers may provide some challenges but it has been overcome by many on this site. Don't worry. You're not alone in this challenge and it can be overcome! Start planning for it now. Start thinking of alternatives you can do on your breaks. Yes, it is still important for you to take those 15 minutes to get away from your work. Think of a reward you could perhaps use as a substitute. You may also want to bring some coping mechanisms along with you to the office such as games to play on your break, gum, ice water, music and other snacks. If you have any questions, again we are always ready & willing to lend a helping hand. We hope to hear from you again soon. Danielle __________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
kim, [quote] the only problem I think I might face, is at work because everyone smokes there! [/quote] Not inside i hope !, isn't your workplace 'smokefree' ?...you're not smoking, so you don't want to breath in other peoples crap. Stick around kim & arm yourself with some knowledge. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 730 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,265 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4745 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 105 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
  • Quit Meter

$12,696.54

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 635 Hours: 4

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kim, First of all, congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Asthma and smoking are definitely NOT a good combination. You will notice tremendous benefits in just the first week. You can do it. Do you have a plan? Have you done the program on this site? Read and educate yourself. It will strengthen your resolve. Good for you!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/20/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 103 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,784 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $386.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$90,934.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5962 Hours: 10

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: