Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Everyones' Quit Really is Different

18 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bob, Sorry to hear you are having some problems. I have to tell you though that the craves are probably not just related to using the patch. My husband went cold turkey and he is 67 days as a non smoker and he still has cravings too. I don't think the craving problem is related to what method we use to quit. It is probably more a genetic or brain thing. It has to be because that is the only explanation as to why some people can quit very easily and some have a harder time. Or as to why after 67 days nicotine free, my husband still has cravings. I do believe that even though it may take longer for some people, it does go away eventually. Stay strong, you are doing great. Iwin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,910 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $380 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
18 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bob, My dad was the same way as your aunt and uncle. He had a small heart attack and quit a 3 pack a day habit right away. He never wanted another cigarette and that was 25 years ago. He never fails to tell me that either which kind of bugs me too. He just does'nt realize that everyone is different. I have a friend who has taken up smoking a couple times in the 30 years we have known each other. She will smoke for just a few months or so and then just stop with no problem. I have days where I crave all day long and then some days where I could care less. It's a crazy thing, but I know as long as we just keep saying no, we will win out. Iwin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,912 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $380 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rob. I'm a cold turkey quitter here and it was somewhere around the 60 day mark before I went a day without craving. My craves were reverse as you described as well. I never was a patch kind of person. Always figured if I was going to get nicotine, I'd smoke it in. :) Hang in there. Things really do get a lot better. Now I just have occassional smoking thoughts. Not really craves. They still hit every once in a while but they are nothing in comparison to that first two months. To be honest with you, it's the first two months of hell that keeps me from smoking. I don't think I could ever do that again. Too much for me. If I ever smoke again, it would be for life. So I use NOPE and keep on going. You are doing great! Keep going. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 289 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,797 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1011.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, You are exactly right that everyone's quit is different. For me, I went cold turkey and as soon as I felt comfortable and was "up" more than I was "down," the winds shifted and I went right back down again. I wish I knew when that leveled out!!! :eg: The important thing is that you aren't smoking. Congratulations on 2 months!!! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 170 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,273 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $702.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 586 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bob, You're absolutely right in that while we may have some common grounds, most quits are unique. My experience with the patch was quite different from yours. However, I believe that no matter what method we choose, while the physical craves will pass...those thoughts of smoking are more than likely going to be around for a while...especially when there's years of habit to break. Ultimately, we have to depend on ourselves and not our "quit smoking aids". Education is key. No matter what method we choose...when we're successful...We all hope to end up in the same place... Smoke-free. There's a simple statement that's been said around here for a very long time... A woman just ahead of me in her quit (Lolly) said it often...and many times it held me up when I felt down... "Whatever it takes... Just don't smoke!" And that's the bottom line. :) Every day now, I'm absolutely thrilled that I no longer have those persistant, nagging thoughts of smoking. Find what works and don't be discouraged if your quit is different. It's SO worth all the effort ...Congrats...and keep hanging in there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 439 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,790 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1567.23 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$18,843.16

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 695 Hours: 20

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: