Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Hi! I'm ready to go crazy

18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:gasp: I quit smoking Saturday night, it's now MOnday noon and I want to go out and buy a pack so bad! The first time I quit smoking was 20 years ago. After smoking for about 17 years, I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and on bedrest. I developed a cold that turned into pneumonia, and no one would bring me smokes, so I was forced into quitting. Luckily, I never resumed that habit and for 19 years I was smoke-free. Two years ago I lost my hubby of 33 years to colon cancer, and then last year was in a relationship with a guy who smoked. One night we were in a bar with a bunch of friends and everyone was smoking but me. Someone happened to have a menthol, the only thing I ever smoked, so I said, "hey, mind if I try one of those? will probably make me choke and gag, haven't had one in 19 years." Well, the rest is history. One was all it took to hook me again. Not only that, but when I smoked before, my hubby kind of monitored the amount I smoked with comments like, "Didn't u just smoke one 45 mintues ago?" "Didn't I just buy you a new pack the day before yesterday?" "Don't light up one of those nasty things right now." and making me smoke under the kitchen exhaust or outside. Now I live all alone and with noone to monitor me, I soon was smoking between 1 1/2 and 2 packs a day. OK, I excused with the fact that they were ultra lights, yeah, right! So two weeks ago I bought not one but TWO 72-ct boxes of Commit Lozenges. Took me til Saturday to actually start using them, and quit with the cigarettes already. Today I'm ready to quit with the lozenges already and go buy some Salem Ultra Light 100's, OMG, if only I could be 8 1/2 months pregnant again and just lay in bed....that was so much easier, lol. So, that's my story so far, might be changing any time today, not sure. feeling really weak right now in the tobacco department. Linda daff_O_dills
Still smoke-free! I passed the 72 hour mark last night at 9 pm. It seems a little easier, but i'm sure that's just false security right now. Let's see, yesterday I actually got dressed and went out. Had to buy gas and stop at the store, but didn't buy any cigarette, wahoooo! I have been battling the nagging withdrawl headache and spending alot of time trying to sleep. Not sure if more of the lozenges would help that, but i'm not really too fond of them, only had one all day yesterday. And being the compulsive person I am, brought 2 72 packs right off the bat, now what am I gonna do with over $70 worth of commit lozenges, lol. Going on a short trip this week-end to visit friends and family. My daughter, a smoker, is going with me. Already informed her NO SMOKING in my car. I'll stop at every rest area for her if I have to, but not gonna break down and let her smoke in my car! N.O.P.E. Have 2 questions..... #1. what does bump mean, or something like that, i've seen in the messages? #2. Is there anybody else in the chat?? lol, I signed up, and added a bunch of you who've responded to my msgs, or who i've read ur msgs, and I never see anybody on. C'mon gang, let's chat, lol! OK, N.O.P.E. EEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Linda daff_O_dills also my favorite flower
oh, ok, i thought I did that, lol, Here it is!! My Quit Meter! Along with my sense of humor, still intact, I'm going to spend the money I saved this week and buy my granddaughter some summer clothes at the OshkoshB'gosh factory outlet in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, lol, Oh, my, haven't saved quite that much yet, have I??? Oh, well, next trip!! Linda [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
Hi gal :) I used to be a fellow Wisconsite!! Been in Michigan the last 30 years, lol, but Wisconsin is still "home" to me. Going there to visit this week-end, and if the visit goes extremely well, who knows, may be moving back there some day in the future, lol. Not much left for me here in Michigan. Not anything I can't come back and visit anyhow:) I lived in Ixonia while I was in high school back in the late 60's, not too far from you! Today I have to do laundry and pack for my trip, will be strange, my clothes will actually NOT smell like smoke! wahoooooo!! Feeling good! Must be in da honeymoon period. Hope it lasts, at least while i'm gone, don't wanna bit anybody's head off on my trip, lol. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
18 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Linda, I'm probably not the best person to tell you this, since I haven't even reached my quit day yet. I'm just seeing that no one else has replied yet, and I can imagine what you're going through. I don't have to imagine. I've been there and I've given in. Now, years later, I'm facing another quit day. I could have been free of this had I not caved to the temptation of a craving. Please don't give in. You can do this! You've gone since Saturday without succumbing. People here are always talking about protecting one's quit, so protect yours. Also, you can hang onto the acronym I've learned since I've been coming here: "N.O.P.E," -- [i]"Not One Puff Ever."[/i] Linda, you can do this. It is within your power to gut out this craving so keep going. Fall in love with your quit more than you're in love with smoking. Your life depends on this. Betty
18 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Linda, I only quit a day before you. I totally understand what you are going through. Don't give in. Find something to keep you occupied. Go for a walk, listen to relaxing music, take a bath or shower, take a nap, scream, cry, post on this website,whatever you need to do to keep your mind occupied, just DON'T smoke. You can get through this. Everyone says that is gets easier with time. I have found that what really helps me is LOTS of water and also telling myself that I won't smoke for the next 30min then when that 30min is up I tell myself again I won't smoke for 30min so on and so forth. I have faith in you that you will make it through smoke free. Keep us all updated on your progress. We are all here for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 42 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning daff_O_dills! Congrats on your success. I quit cold turkey, however, after reading some posts about NRT's, I suggest you take your lozenges as directed. Lightening up on them, might not do you good. Especially this weekend. Keep tough and don't smoke. Fight every temptation that comes into your mind. Don't negotiate with Nicodemon when you see your daughter smoking. That will only bring trouble. Maybe bring a few extra lozenges this weekend would be good. Take care and enjoy your trip! p.s. - if you want to, there is button below your message when you type one in, that says "Show my Quit Meter". If you click it, it will put your meter into your post to show everyone your success. Sometimes it is helpful for oldies to guide you through knowing what your time is. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 523 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55.59 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Daff, Just hang tight. I know it's hard. Hell tonight, after doing so well on my Quit, I was cleaning out my car after taking it to the car wash to have it all cleaned up, vacuumed out and smelling fresh (NO SMOKE!) and there it was - a brand new pack of ciggies hiding in the back of my SUV... I just looked at them... kept picking up stuff, putting it all away...Then I went over to the pack of cigs hiding there quietly, with the nicodeman saying, hey, just one? I opened the pack, cut each cig up into pieces, and took the garbage with the small pieces of cigs out! I had a minute of thinking, 'hmmm one would sure taste good' then I caught myself... N.O.P.E. You can do this. Do what I did - say NO to the junkie talk... YOU CAN DO THIS, and we are all here backing you up 100%! Blessings- Healer xox [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 556 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Daff!!! Fellow Wisconsinite???? I live south of Madison. Don't give up on your quit. Wish I had l9 years somewhere not smoking!! Been 35 straight years for me. I am on patch, down to the l4 mg one, and actually can't wait to get done but I am doing like it says so I don't mess it all up. It is hard, and easy at the same time. I sure do like having the extra cash. Now I pay for lunches out instead of hubby. Bet he loves that !!! And coming here everyday is a lifesaver. Keep up the good work. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,010 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $103.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$20,659.43

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 415 Hours: 21

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 15

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Linda., Your cry for help rang so many familiar bells for me. Before I tell you a bit of my story I beg you.....please don't pick up another cigarette. Use every trick in your bag but whatever it takes walk away from that nasty voice that keeps saying, "this is too hard, I'll just have a few puffs." We all know where the few puffs lead. Twelve years ago I had been smoke free for a year but when my husband was killed in a car crash I bought a carton that day and continued to smoke until 6 years ago when I quit cold turky. I remained a non smoker until a little over a year ago when I was diagnosed with a large pre cancer mass in my colon and subsequently had most of my colon removed. Instead of doing everything I could to try to live healthy I had a cigarette the day of the diagnosis and have smoked since until March 3, 2006. I also had a heart pacemaker implanted to accomodate the surgery which tells you that with this not so reliab le heart I should not have been taking one single puff. It's a big grip those "nasties" get on us. Every single day I smoked I asked myself what I thought I was doing. Had I not seen and experienced enough illness to make me give my head a shake and do everything possible to be healthy??? The problem was, I loved my cigarettes but they wern't loving me back. I realized I was in one of the most abusive relationships one could encounter. So here's what I did. I CHOSE TO LIVE !!!! I threw my abuser out. It isn't easy Linda as you well know but life can be so short but no matter what its length it can be so good. Step outside your door and take a good deep breath of fresh air. It's free!!! Not like evey puff of smoke costing almost a fortune and stealing your health to boot. Hang in there Linda. You can do it. I just know you can. Stay on this site day and night if you have to until you overcome the really tough spots. CHOOSE LIFE !!!!! You'll be glad you did. Nuka ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 383 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $202.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25

Reading this thread: