Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Into day 5 - chest feels heavy....

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Isn't it funny how we all experience it differently!! No cold here...but I started out with tons of energy..then I was feeling slow and in a fog..then I went into depression..then my mood lifted but I had days with hard craves and finally I am finding myself emotionally and mentally. All this in about 160 days. All I can say is......if you don't stick it out you don't know what is around the corner and you'll miss it. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 160 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $715.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 241 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Straightflop .. sure hope you are feeling better now :) The heaviness in my chest only last for a few days and now nothing ! I do a lot of walking and I think that helps move things around. I am so not looking forward to a 1st cold that's for sure. I also read about the 1st 'anything' and how it's so much worse than when we used to smoke. You're absolutely right though. Our bodies are healing from years and years of horrible abuse. Hope you're having a good day ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $50.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You know it's a little funny or ironic I guess. I was really expecting, or hoping at least, that I would feel totally better right away. People would tell me all the time while I was a smoker that if i quit I would feel so much better. Well I do because I am no longer a smoker and nothing feels better than that. However, Right at week two I came down with a bout of a cold/sinus congestion. Something I would usually just smoke right through in pain anyway. Well let me tell you that your first cold is awful after your quit. i have been told most people get sick just after a quit as their immune system is trying to re-generate, we are actually more vulnerable for about a month or 2. Well it feels way worse than a normal cold and I hear this is normal for quitters in the beginning. I too had a very heavy feeling in my chest. I even posted about here. Be sure to get it checked out if it does not go away. Mine went away for a few days than came back again when I got sick. I'm over the smoking and rarley even think of it. I almost think the tightness in my chest is a reminder not to smoke. It basically makes me think it would hurt my lungs so bad if I smiked. it's almost like a warning system. That's fine for me. Hang in there we are all healing from years of destroying every cell in our bodies. It will take time to heal. But the beuaty is, we will heal... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 450 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's nice to meet you too Sam. I come here often for my distractions and it sure helps me a lot:) Mornings were tough for me too, so the first few days I went right out the door to walk the dog, or brought my coffee to this site. Yes, that's me around 1963. (I'm 46 now:) It was an after Christmas party at our home in WI, and some friends of the family just got a brand new reel-to-reel camera! Must have been in to try to kiss them in those days;) Well have a great night! It really does get better each day. I'll be spending the extra time I'm saving back here in the morning:) mamakitty [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 255 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $68.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
Hi mamakitty ! Nice to meet you :) Yes, I see from my readings here and throughout other sites, that there are number of things, like the dry eyes, dry throat etc which may occur after quitting. I guess from what we've done to our bodies over the many years of smoking it's only natural that we'll be experiencing many things as we heal. I love your pic.. is it you at a very young age ? :) Btw you are doing beautifully.. love your stats ! HI EX ! Hell week is over for you ! WOO HOO ! I'm so happy for you :) I've not heard of the 'quitter's flu'.. yet again I learn about the healing process. Sure hope you are feeling better very soon :) I'm doing well ! The worse time of day for me comes first thing in the morning upon wakening.. instant trigger for a smoke and the next time is right after dinner. I keep my coping tools close by and I instantly do something to distract myself for at least a 1/2 hour and then the trigger/crave dies ! SQUASH THAT NICODEMON DOWN DOWN DOWN :eg: Just finished my early dinner and this is my distraction today - to come here, read, respond and read some more ;) Have a super evening everyone ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sam, how is yr chest today? Is it easing up more? Hopefully you'll be past this symptom of yr quit soon. I have that quitter's flu type thing - shivery and tight throat, but happily still smokeless in Oxfordshire... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 105 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �17.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sam, I'm so glad you're here. It's fun for me to actually be able to help others a little bit:) and helps me as well... Mercy, that was quite a list of ingredients! Thanks. I've had the same heavy chest feeling in the mornings for awhile Sam, but it is just healing, and it's getting better. Mine started around the 10 day mark where I really noticed it, and I still feel it but not as intense. It also takes me awhile to get up because I feel really groggy. I didn't cough much or clear my throat until a few days ago, and thought I was losing my voice. It's dry, and taking awhile, but that's also better. If you feel a sore or hot feeling throat, or start clearing your throat more closer to 2 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised or afraid either. Your body isn't producing as much mucus to protect all your insides now from smoke damage - so you'll feel more dry. Even my eyes feel dry in the morning. Drink lots of water, and try to walk a little each day to move all the junk out faster:) You're doing great! It just gets better:) mamakitty [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 255 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $68.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
Mercy it is a reality check.. and a powerful one at that. I appreciate that you posted all of those horrid ingredients - it solidifies my resolve that smoking is not an option ! Danielle I have an appt. next month for a full physical and at that time I will discuss my new smoke free life with him then. I did NOT wake up this morning with a heavy/tight chest today :) But with the knowledge I have gained by posting about it I feel more relaxed that other's have experienced the same thing. On top of that I would never let anything go on too long without seeking medical attention. Once again Mercy thank you for opening my eyes with your valuable information - much appreciated ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
maybe the researcy effects me differently. I didn't mean to scare and upset anyone. I know when I use to have bad craves I would read this stuff and my craves would vanish totally for a couple of days. Nothing works like a reality check...and this information is the reality of cigarettes. You guys are doing great!! Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 157 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $701.79 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All I can say is "What were we thinking?" Never thought to look at the ingredients of smokes. Too scary! Guess I'll take a zanex and go to bed. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$15,888.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 801 Hours: 11

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: