Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Thoughts... negative and positive

17 years ago 0 247 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You rock alright. Just keep on rocking your doing great jnine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting: I hear all that you are saying. It is difficult to remain positive and unfortunately, smoking tends to further underline the negative thoughts. We don't really like the negative thoughts, but in some people (including me) they tend to become a natural way of going. For me in any case, the negative thoughts are not particularly comforting, so I have used nic to generate the neuro-transmitters that will give me a sense of well being...The result is that I get to have the negative thoughts and a sense of well being to boot...That is the definition of being a dark poet...Through years of repetition, I have become adept at living with dark thoughts while reinforcing the pattern with a sence of well being generated by the act of inhaling the old blue smoke... Now that I realize that, I use every weapon I have to get a sense of well being from other activities...running, walking, singing writing etc...Its not easy as you know, but you are doing it and so am I...That means that If we continue on we will yet make it to the land of the ex-smoker... It is for the reason above that I have tailored a plan to begin an antidepressant as I step down the patches...With any luck and a bit of creativity, I should meet myself in the middle and really give a boost to this quit...Good luck and keep thinking and acting on your goal of total cessation, you are really doing well nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 904 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $259 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
imallclear Thanks...I hope you are doing well...I do enjoy reading your posts... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 904 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $259 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow... I thought January didn't have a 31st day, and I wasn't even living in the first week "fog" anymore! What WAS I thinking? Must have been February! Of course January has a 31st day. Thirty days has September, April, June and November, all the rest have 31, except February and in leap year has only 28. I had to redeem myself! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 315 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $59.83 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Have you all noticed that once one negative thought enters your head, it seems to open the door to all it's friends, and relatives, and before you know it they are pouring in from every direction, fighting for your attention? The poor positive thoughts just get stuck in a dark corner trying to get out, but getting stomped on. I must have accidentally let one negative thought in about a week ago, and each day it let in more of it's friends and then they had the odacity to reproduce in a short period of time. Gosh... I'm exhausted. It wasn't easy getting rid of them, and it happened over the course of a few days. I just realized tonight that I feel more like my usual self than I have in the past week. I went from grouchy, to sad, to depressed, to discouraged, to laughing. Roller coaster ride, anyone? Now, I don't think this was all due to not smoking by any means. It was more a case of my letting stress get to me, and once that one negator got in, it just went downhill. The thing I noticed though was that there were about three days where I really wanted to smoke more than I ever have since I quit. I didn't consider smoking, but I realized I had faced several new triggers. Tonight I think I've finally eradicated that last negative thought. The lesson I learned from all this and my point is that if you stop taking care of yourself, and protecting your positive thoughts as much as you protect your quit, the door opens and in pour the negators. You may not smoke, but it sure makes you feel miserable. Coming up on my one month - well tomorrow I guess, since there isn't a 31st day in January. Still feeling good. The original euphoria is gone, but so is the slump after the euphoria. Feeling more leveled out now. Thanks for listening if you actually read all the way through my ramblings! Thanks to you all! You are great! Quitters Rock!! [IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/joannsmi/dance.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 298 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55.97 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, roller coaster girl! Great post -- very thoughtful (not bad for such a grouch, huh?). You are absolutely right about protecting the positive thoughts as much as your quit. I know how much this quit means to you and how -- rightfully -- proud you are of yourself. So, yeah, slam the door on those negative ninnies and thoughts that would do you harm. Listen to the very wise "Interesting" -- she knows what she's talking about. ONE MONTH FOR "INTERESTING" -- how great is that???!!! CONGRATULATIONS, my friend. You're awesome!! MORE CHOCOLATE FOR "INTERESTING", PLEASE!!! Keep the faith -- and that wonderful positive quit you have! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 113 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,558 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $904 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nice nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 337 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No doubt we have to protect our positive thoughts. They are more physically weak than negative thoughts, but ever so much more precious. Negative thoughts are powerful, in self-preservation and attack mode (if you have sons they will know "attack mode" and will be happy to explain this to you, unless you have already been subject to this discussion, most likely against your will). Bottom line: Positive thoughts are precious and we need to convince our brains of this. Really, Really we do! For some reason they are programed to side with negative thoughts. For some people I think it has to do with a feeling of deserving something good. We can all say that we do, we can even believe it, but I don't think all of us feel that way. But it all goes back to the negative and positive - listening, buying in to years of negative. What is it that negative has to offer that positive can't deliver on? Whatever it is - it ain't noth'n good. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Who stole 31st January? LOL Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 175 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,679 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �918.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Interesting, I think negative thoughts and quitting smoking go hand in hand... And I suppose it could be an emotional rollercoaster for some. But it'll get easier for you I hope. I still crave them after this long. I guess we just train ourselves better to deal with those cravings. The big thing is N.O.P.E. Take care, Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 326 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,423 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2200.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: