Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Another Q regarding the Nicoderm patch,?

17 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, I am on the patch right now and I am doing great.. I was thinking about moving to the 14mg because I feel fine.. Im having no withdrawl symptoms the only "craves" im having are mental/habit.. Sammi, that is what I am wondering also, if they just say that so you will continue to buy the product..I've come this far with it so I don't want to risk it and switch you know? That is why Im trying to figure out the medical reason as to why they say 6 weeks @ 21 mg's.. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.. Anyone else have any input/experience with this? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
Just wondering, what is the point of staying on the 21mg for 6 weeks? It seems so long but there is obviously a reason why.. Does anyone know the reason? Logically I would think that if you do OK on the 21mg it would be best to switch to the 14mg fast so your body gets used to less nicotene and no so dependant on having 21mg.. Anyone?
I've decided I will stay on 21mg for atleast 4 weeks and then consult with my doctor about switching to 14mg at that point.. I have nothing to lose by staying on it for the full 6 weeks, just a few bucks but money isn't anything when it comes to something that could possibly effect my quit.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 129 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have no idea why the instructions would say to stay on that high of a dosage so long, except for maybe they want everyone to buy their product for as long as possible? I decided not to wear the patch today, and it's been totally bearable. I still have more, so if I hit a rough spot and feel like I need it I can slap one on. I'm thinking everyone is different, some people are going to need it for longer, some are not. So why not just listen to your body? Just my two cents. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 478 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm on the patch and my doctor told me to start at 21mgs if I smoke more than a pack a day, which was about my level. So far it's worked well for me so I'm not going to mess with it. I can see the wisdom in taking the six weeks to change habits, and deal with quitting mentally and emotionally. I do worry a bit about what happens when I go off the patch, but many people on this forum have said it's not a big deal. So everybody's different, but I think I'm going to keep following the directions, because so far, it's working, and I'm not smoking, for the first time in about 30 years. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 414 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lord have mercy, dont cut back to much to fast. That is where I slipped up and dont change brands either... its not a good idea unless directed by your Doc. I had a rough week with a death in the family, I "Thought" I could do it without the patch because I felt so good and doin so well.... I stopped the patch...wrong move! I had a craving that I thought I would go nuts during. I also thought that one store brand would be better since it was cheaper than another store brand that I was using but the store brand I "TRIED" was horrible, it fell off my arm when I put my shirt on, it rolled up on me, it didnt work as good as the other store brand. It was a mistake, I did however go from the 21 to the 14 after 2 weeks and it was a lil rough but nothing I couldnt handle. BE VERY CAREFUL, your quit is your life! Peace Dawn [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 317 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $76.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 290 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I soo totally agree with you "platinumB". I quit with the patch and wellbutrin. From the beginning I thought 21 mg was alot. I smoked just a little under a pack a day. At 21 mg I was getting same as one who smoked 3 packs!! I "listened" to what my body told me the 1st couple weeks, and I dropped down to 14 in 2 weeks. Then continued the course. All said in 6 weeks I was nic free and feeling quite well about it. I guess what it really comes down to is common horse sense doesnt it? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,419 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $322 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Platinum, I used the patches for 10.5 weeks as follows: 21 Mg 4.5 weeks 14 Mg 3 weeks 7 Mg 3 weeks It did not cost me less to do it this way, but I felt that it was more gradual than the directions of 6weeks on 21 and then only 2 weeks for the remaining levels. I smoked 25 cigs a day for 30 years. I have a friend that was on patches for 5 months since that is what his doctor prescribed for him....this was for a guy whom smoked 2 packs a day for 40 years!!!! Yes, the best thing is always to speak with your doctor. Hang in there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 120 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,016 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $960 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi PB...Some people have cut back sooner but most follow the advice of the Doctor and/or Pharmacist and follow as prescribed. For me, the first 3 weeks were really rough even on the patch. Physically, things didn't level out till around the 4th/5th week so 6 weeks was just about right for me. My Pharmacist did suggest that if I cut back early and am struggling that I should go back up to the higher dose for another week. Are you taking the patch now? How are you feeling? Perhaps if your quit is painless, you could cut back sooner. All the best...... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 127 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,557 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $635 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PB - I think you may have the answer right there - I didn't feel okay right away (Physically even 21 mgs was a drop for me and it took 3 weeks for my system to level out....6 weeks on 21 mgs was just about perfect for me) Others have dropped down more quickly and done very well. Some have dropped down and realized that they were moving too quickly. My Pharmacist was great when answering my questions...I know many people are anxious to get the nicotine out of their system .... Stepping down might be just the right thing for you! Good luck! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 128 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,569 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $640 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38

Reading this thread: